Jim Matney's Pre-Game Comments

InTheLoop

I have been around Johnson Co. for a long time now and I know for a flat out fact that Prestonsburg turned down thousands of dollars to play JCHS this season in the Touchstone Energy Bowl. Touchstone Energy even offered Pburg their own home bowl game next season and a holiday basketball tournament. Pburg still refused to play and let thousands slip trough their hands. If anyone has any doubts about this fact they can contact the man who runs touchstone energy and I am 100% positive that this story will be backed up.

:thumb: I'll back this up...this is true..they turned it down this past year and this year also.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

refusing to buy the excuses that Belfry uses our scrimmages as "practices" and we use them as games.

This is a ridiculas statement and if you knew Belfry you would know :rolleyes: Belfry ALWAYS uses scrimmages as practices and a time for learning and ALWAYS HAS....not just when its conveinent or an excuse and not just when they play Central LOL

Couple things:

1. Scrimmages with Belfry are in no way even comparable to the actual game. Belfry seldom would be considered the victor in mot of their scrimmages... the format is typically 10 plays and out... a typical Belfry drive is 15+ plays.

2. We all have to consider the man behind the comments. Jim Matney is a phenomenal coach when it comes to the x's and o's...but when it becomes mental aspects he's even better. Did it ever cross anyone's mind that maybe, just maybe, Matney is painting the picture to fans as the program everyone loves to hate? Its been said on here before how different the fan base has became and how JC fans now actually travel.... when it comes to matney he wants the community to be hand in hand with the program and if he can fire his players up mentally don't ya think he can do it to the fans?

Guest kybigguy42
I am sorry that my questions were not more clear. You compared the time that it took Matney to reach the playoffs at Sheldon Clark to Sean Hager's playoff success after he took over the job. The question that I attempted to ask was what kind of program did Jim Matney have when he took over the job as a young, inexperienced head coach at Sheldon Clark? How many parents of his prospective football players had even played the sport in high school? How many people in the school system's administration had ever played the game? Did Sheldon Clark have a strong football tradition, or was Martin County known better for its rich basketball tradition?

Your implication seemed to be that Sean Hager has accomplished more in less time at Sheldon Clark than Jim Matney did. My recollection is that Matney is the person most responsible for Sheldon Clark's rise to respectability as a football school and that Coach Hager was a beneficiary of Matney's hard work. I mean no slight to Coach Hager, but building a program almost from scratch at a school that was formed by two schools who never fielded football teams was quite an accomplishment, whether or not it took Matney 10 years to field a playoff team.

Johnson Central's football program went through the same kind of growing pains. The early years of the program were characterized by a long steady stream of short-term coaches. Some of them had little or no head coaching experience, and some (Ed Vanhoose, for example) had enjoyed good success elsewhere. What they had in common was an impatient administration that expected a new coach to instantly create a respectable football program. That finally changed after JC stuck with Bill Musick following a 0-10 campaign in his first year on the job. (Following a 1A state runner-up run at Evarts.)

I did misunderstand your question....I think Jim did an outstanding job builiding the Sheldon Clark program. He was committed to getting better. He had to develop the program from the ground up. However when he left the program was in shambles....that is one of the reasons that I didn't blame him for leaving. We had gone through 3 or 4 really weak freshman classes. And there has never been any real support from the School Board for the football program. Look at our facilities.....they are anything but first class.

He is in much better shape at Johnson Central at the beginning. No doubt about that. Even though Central had been down for sometime alot of folks were convinced they had the athletes to compete. They have demonstrated that the last 3 years. Jim will get them to play to a very high level.

A couple of things though.

One, Shawn Hager played for Phillip Haywood at Belfry. He is a brilliant football mind in his own right. He loves kids and is a great motivator. His kids put it all on the line for him. I am sure he learned alot from Coach Matney, but as a great Belfry quarterback he knew the game already. I genuinely believe his accomplishments at Sheldon Clark during the last years exceed what Jim accomplished at Central during the same time.

Two, Jim Matney needs to stick to coaching football. He is a great coach. However, he will run into problems at Central if he doesn't improve his communication skills. Believe me I know him and I love him. The expectations he faces over there are far greater than any he ever had at Sheldon Clark. Quit trashing those who wont play you and beat those who are already scheduled.

I did misunderstand your question....I think Jim did an outstanding job builiding the Sheldon Clark program. He was committed to getting better. He had to develop the program from the ground up. However when he left the program was in shambles....that is one of the reasons that I didn't blame him for leaving. We had gone through 3 or 4 really weak freshman classes. And there has never been any real support from the School Board for the football program. Look at our facilities.....they are anything but first class.

He is in much better shape at Johnson Central at the beginning. No doubt about that. Even though Central had been down for sometime alot of folks were convinced they had the athletes to compete. They have demonstrated that the last 3 years. Jim will get them to play to a very high level.

A couple of things though.

One, Shawn Hager played for Phillip Haywood at Belfry. He is a brilliant football mind in his own right. He loves kids and is a great motivator. His kids put it all on the line for him. I am sure he learned alot from Coach Matney, but as a great Belfry quarterback he knew the game already. I genuinely believe his accomplishments at Sheldon Clark during the last years exceed what Jim accomplished at Central during the same time.

Two, Jim Matney needs to stick to coaching football. He is a great coach. However, he will run into problems at Central if he doesn't improve his communication skills. Believe me I know him and I love him. The expectations he faces over there are far greater than any he ever had at Sheldon Clark. Quit trashing those who wont play you and beat those who are already scheduled.

!999 Rock 35 Sheldon Clark 7 2nd round

2000 Rock 7 Sheldon Clark 6 Regional Championship game

Rock will play for $15,000. But never offered.

It cracks me up that Johnson Central has had a couple of good years (not including the playoffs) and all of the sudden they are the BEAST OF THE EAST at least in their minds.

Central has a great thing going right now and they should, they are the biggest team in the area but let's not act like programs like Belfy and Pburg are scared or something. Belfry playing NCC and teams like Pikeville playing Henry Clay pretty much show that those guys will play anybody.

Hit the nail right on the head, they have had 1 good season in last year and are off to a good start this year and everyone in Johnson County thinks that this team has already won the state title and cant be beat.:lol: :rolleyes:

Wow. What a reaction. Good Job JC Alumni. "Afraid" isn't the right word. These teams around here can't beat us anymore, and Belfry wouldn't have beaten us last year either. Taking nothing away from the pride and rich tradition, just calling a spade a spade, and refusing to buy the excuses that Belfry uses our scrimmages as "practices" and we use them as games. Regardless, we kicked Belfry around pretty good the last 2 years. We would have done the same the last week of the season. Belfry mopped the floor with Central all those years, and can't do it anymore. Why would they want to schedule a loss? Nothing to gain is why. Prestonsburg won't play us because Matney has a history with Pburg, and they don't really want the annals of history to show what would happen. Similar story with the others. So, even though I have no authority, on behalf of the Johnson Central powers that be, go tell your coaches we think you're a bunch of chickens (lol). Otherwise, we'll continue traveling great distances to find competition. And by the way, Bryan Station would have thumped just about every team around here last year. And they're visiting us this year, and are apparently much improved. It'll be a tough game.
I didnt read allt he pages to see if anyone responded to this but Im going to some up what Coach Haywood told his players before the scrimage game this year. He said look at them comming out there with game uniforms on jumping up and down. He told his players this is a game to JC. He then told them its not to Belfry and dont take it that way. He laffed and told them it isnt the super bowl.

JC is a good team but to automatcialy say theyd beat Belfry cause they did in a scrimage isnt right. JC threw all over the field and everyone said our secondary was bad. But look what they did Friday night ina real game. Also Coach Haywood dont bother to scout out JC before a scrimage. In a real game he would no every move they make who is going to make it and when they will make it. They are a big difference between a scrimage and a game. And if anyone knows the 2 coaches personaly like I do then they would know that for a fact by their personalities alone.

I got an idea, take that 15,000$ rent some tour buses, hire some tutors, pay for motel rooms, drive on past London. Get your bell rung at Bell County, stop and lose to Rockcastle, next week take a beating from Southwestern, travel on to Boyle County and get thumped. Travel back to the mountains and tell everyone about your trip to southern Ky. and how they are afraid to play Johnson Central. Heck, we may even throw in a free meal.

I didnt read allt he pages to see if anyone responded to this but Im going to some up what Coach Haywood told his players before the scrimage game this year. He said look at them comming out there with game uniforms on jumping up and down. He told his players this is a game to JC. He then told them its not to Belfry and dont take it that way. He laffed and told them it isnt the super bowl.

JC is a good team but to automatcialy say theyd beat Belfry cause they did in a scrimage isnt right. JC threw all over the field and everyone said our secondary was bad. But look what they did Friday night ina real game. Also Coach Haywood dont bother to scout out JC before a scrimage. In a real game he would no every move they make who is going to make it and when they will make it. They are a big difference between a scrimage and a game. And if anyone knows the 2 coaches personaly like I do then they would know that for a fact by their personalities alone.

I personaly wouldn't compare these two coaches at all first off Mr Haywood has proven him self as a Great coach he has the rings to prove it Matney has won some ball games but never any that really matters maybe if he keep trying he will but untill he win's the big one he's just another good coach. I do think he has fell into a pool of talent at JC and he should be able to go deeper then he ever has before but then agian we will have to wait and see . I have said for year's that JC is a sleeping giant so maybe he has waken it up. I think they are the biggest 3-a in the state so they should be able to make some noise lets all just wait and see

Dad of a Dawg I was just comparing their styles of a scrimage. I know Coach Jim my family is very good friend with him. I like him alot and he is a good coach and works his kids very hard. But sometimes a coach needs to not run their mouth so much and coach. I remember playing against SC it was the first time we played them in 98 the ref came to Coach Haywood who was standing beside me and was like I dread calling this game and listening to Jim wine and cry over everything. Its ok sometimes and its part of who he is but he does do it a lil to much.

This is comming from a person (me) who respects JC alot and wishes Belfry could get something in the future with them. I like Jim alot but he is bad to wine at times lol (he also likes to brag haha).

As far as him not being compared to Coach Haywood. Accomploshment wise I totaly agree with you. Not many coaches can be compared to him. But I can see Coach Matney one day being like Coach Haywood ( a legend in the game).

ALso Im sure he has some type of crazy motivation behind his rambling. But what they need to do is focus on getting better each day and if they can do that they just might make a really strong (regional title) run. Good luck to JC though hopefully we will get something with you guys down the road.

I don't begin to have a clue what Matney said, what he meant by it and who (if anyone) he was calling out, but ... if good competition is what he's seeking, I suspect Johnson Central can head toward the Lexington area and find plenty of good teams willing to play them.

So, Johnson Central threw all over the field against Belfry instead of playing like they did in a real game Friday night? One of JC's top rushers on Friday night did not run the ball in the Belfry scrimmage. Yet, we are asked to believe that Johnson Central approached the scrimmage like it was the Super Bowl, but it was just a normal practice for Belfry.

I am sorry, but it just does not sound like Matney approached the scrimmage like a game. It does sound like he used the opportunity to see how hs new QB might do slinging the ball against a real defense and perhaps to give North Laurel, JC's first real opponent, something besides the Golden Eagle's running game to worry about.

I don't know how Matney has used scrimmage games in the past. I will acknowledge that some past JC coaches have placed too much emphasis on "winning" preseason scrimmages. I think that Matney is too good a coach to show all of his cards during a practice session, but there is no way to know how a game between Belfry and JC would go if they met in a real game this season.

I think that Matney went to the air against Belfry because he wanted to give a green quarterback some experience against a quality team and keep part of his ground game under wraps. In other words, I don't think that Matney's approach to the game was much different than Haywood's.

Do that. Check your map and get back to me.:lol:

I grew up in the Columbus area and I regularly drive to eastern Kentucky through Louisville on I-65/I-64 and Cincy on I-74/I-75/I-64. There are many people on this board who know football better than me, but I don't need a map to know how long it takes to drive from Johnson County to Louisville, Cincy, and Columbus.

Paintsville to Columbus 182 miles!