Jim Matney's Pre-Game Comments

InTheLoop

I don't know how many of you heard Matney's comments before the North Laurel game Friday. But, I wanted to get some thoughts on his comment that other East KY teams were dodging the Golden Eagles. He said that it has been tough finding local teams that were willing to play Johnson Central. Apparantly one school turned down a $15000 package.

It seemed out of the ordinary for a coach to call out other teams like that. What do you guys think? Personally, being a Johnson Central fan, I like the confidence being displayed by the Golden Eagles.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it. We have enough teams around here that are solid opponents so we should never have to go out of state or towards the western end of the state. You have Belfry, Sheldon Clark, Prestonsburg, Russell, Corbin, Rock, Bell, and etc. I dont understand why no one around here wouldnt want to play JC, they have a good following which would lead to a good gate for that school.

I doubt anyone is dodging JC...most teams only have a few non-district games, and they are set well in advance...if any team is looking to make a change in their schedule, it is going to be tough to get it done...

I would love to see JC renew their regular season games with Belfry and Sheldon Clark. If the new 6A format goes into place, i have a feeling alot of teams are going to want to schedule local games in non district play cause alot of those district games require alot of travel time.

Who has refused to play them??

Just what I've heard the last couple years: Belfry, Prestonsburg, and Breathitt County cannot or will not (for the past 2 or 3 years). Pike County Central backed out of the Touchstone Energy Bowl at the 11th hour last year, and Central had no choice but to substitute a team from Beckley that needed money, and would have lost to our freshman team. I believe there are many others who won't play, but these are the ones I hear. Why? Its pretty obvious they feel they'd have alot to lose and nothing to gain. The same teams were more than willing to play when Central was a doormat. Just what I've heard. If anyone knows the real reason, please chime in.

Just what I've heard the last couple years: Belfry, Prestonsburg, and Breathitt County cannot or will not (for the past 2 or 3 years). Pike County Central backed out of the Touchstone Energy Bowl at the 11th hour last year, and Central had no choice but to substitute a team from Beckley that needed money, and would have lost to our freshman team. I believe there are many others who won't play, but these are the ones I hear. Why? Its pretty obvious they feel they'd have alot to lose and nothing to gain. The same teams were more than willing to play when Central was a doormat. Just what I've heard. If anyone knows the real reason, please chime in.

Those are the same teams that I have heard too. Some teams will say that Johnson Central's size is a factor....but, like you said, these same teams had no problem playing the larger school when a "W" could marked down in the preseason.

It cracks me up that Johnson Central has had a couple of good years (not including the playoffs) and all of the sudden they are the BEAST OF THE EAST at least in their minds.

Central has a great thing going right now and they should, they are the biggest team in the area but let's not act like programs like Belfy and Pburg are scared or something. Belfry playing NCC and teams like Pikeville playing Henry Clay pretty much show that those guys will play anybody.

I have been around Johnson Co. for a long time now and I know for a flat out fact that Prestonsburg turned down thousands of dollars to play JCHS this season in the Touchstone Energy Bowl. Touchstone Energy even offered Pburg their own home bowl game next season and a holiday basketball tournament. Pburg still refused to play and let thousands slip trough their hands. If anyone has any doubts about this fact they can contact the man who runs touchstone energy and I am 100% positive that this story will be backed up.

I have been around Johnson Co. for a long time now and I know for a flat out fact that Prestonsburg turned down thousands of dollars to play JCHS this season in the Touchstone Energy Bowl. Touchstone Energy even offered Pburg their own home bowl game next season and a holiday basketball tournament. Pburg still refused to play and let thousands slip trough their hands. If anyone has any doubts about this fact they can contact the man who runs touchstone energy and I am 100% positive that this story will be backed up.

:sssh:

I don,t believe you have to worry about Belfry dodging anyone, especially J.C. Belfry,s contract just ended with Ironton OH, and they picked up Ashland. Which correct me if Im wrong Ashland pretty much dominates J.C. year in and year out.

Dominates? I wouldn't put it that way. How is 13-10 dominate from last yr? I for thing I would love to see the Belfry v. JCHS rivalry renewed! I think it is a good game for both teams. Ashland isn't what this thread is about anyway.

I don't doubt your story one bit. Was JC that eager to play Prestonsburg a few years back when Jamerson and Co made it too the carpet? While Pburg is a GREAT program they haven't been nearly as good the last couple of years which ironically is the best two teams Central has had other then the undefeated team.

As for Belfry... Ironton OH:sssh: