Jim Matney's Pre-Game Comments

InTheLoop

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach Matney is a great guy and all he was saying was that the JC football program has shot up tremendously over the last few years and he is very proud of the community and his players. The boys work hard all summer long and have alot of unfinished business that will hopefully be accomplished this yr. Good luck to JC...GO EAGLES!!!!

No doubt he has things going in the right direction and it is good for Eastern KY football. He is a good coach that has brought a lot of excitement to the Eagles. I am a HUGE Coach Burchett fan too! I wish them nothing but the best other than 1 game. I think they are right there with Rockcastle as the best 2 teams in the Region. I guess I get a little frustrated with the a few fans on this board getting so cocky all of the sudden. I know the vast majority of JC fans aren't like that. I also loved playing football and baseball at JC. GREAT fields and they even treated us to dinner.

No doubt he has things going in the right direction and it is good for Eastern KY football. He is a good coach that has brought a lot of excitement to the Eagles. I am a HUGE Coach Burchett fan too! I wish them nothing but the best other than 1 game. I think they are right there with Rockcastle as the best 2 teams in the Region. I guess I get a little frustrated with the a few fans on this board getting so cocky all of the sudden. I know the vast majority of JC fans aren't like that. I also loved playing football and baseball at JC. GREAT fields and they even treated us to dinner.

Who has gotten cocky?

Maybe Matney needs to branch out a little bit and play someone outside the mountains. If JC is all that, and he wants a tough schedule, why did he schedule with Bryan Station (1-9 in each of the last two seasons)? I'm sure Henry Clay, Madison Central, Scott County, etc. would have been more than happy to play him.

I don,t believe you have to worry about Belfry dodging anyone, especially J.C. Belfry,s contract just ended with Ironton OH, and they picked up Ashland. Which correct me if Im wrong Ashland pretty much dominates J.C. year in and year out.

I never heard anyone say anything about Belfry dodging JC. I merely said i would like to see JC and belfry hook back up in the regular season again, great rivalry with a very lopsided win to lose record in Belfry's favor. As for Ashland dominating JC, Ashland leads the series 4-1, not really all that dominate, and considering how close the last game was i would say they are about even.

Maybe Matney needs to branch out a little bit and play someone outside the mountains. If JC is all that, and he wants a tough schedule, why did he schedule with Bryan Station (1-9 in each of the last two seasons)? I'm sure Henry Clay, Madison Central, Scott County, etc. would have been more than happy to play him.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

A PERFECT example of missing the point.

Well i agree with you to an extent. I for one if the 6 class format passes, hope alot of local teams will start playing one another for the fact that alot of time is going to be spent on the road in district play. JC has played Madison Central while Matney was their and played them as good as anyone did that year in districts.

I don,t believe you have to worry about Belfry dodging anyone, especially J.C. Belfry,s contract just ended with Ironton OH, and they picked up Ashland. Which correct me if Im wrong Ashland pretty much dominates J.C. year in and year out.

I agree with everything except the Ashland comment which I already know you have gotten drilled about. However, I will agree that Hillard Howard (Belfry) and Dudley Hilton (Bell Co.) wouldn't dodge JC either. Got to like how the coach for JC motivates his players though!:dancingpa

I never even heard of Johnson Central, so I doubt too many people are ducking them. Is it a newer school? I don't exactly think they would strike a lot of fear into most of the established teams.

Yeah we actually just opened the school this month. It was a consolidation of North Johnson and South Johnson.:rolleyes:

I don't doubt your story one bit. Was JC that eager to play Prestonsburg a few years back when Jamerson and Co made it too the carpet? While Pburg is a GREAT program they haven't been nearly as good the last couple of years which ironically is the best two teams Central has had other then the undefeated team.

As for Belfry... Ironton OH:sssh:

I think Matney was referring to his tenure as head coach at JC. Matney's Sheldon Clark teams did play some of the strong Prestonsburg teams.

I don't think that many people outside of Johnson County understand the changes that have come to the Johnson Central football team. Matney was very competitive both in AA and AAA when he coached at Sheldon Clark. Now, he has one of the top, if not the top, middle school programs in the mountains and the largest high school enrollment in the area.

Matney is one of the top coaches in the state and he now has the talent pool to build a perennial powerhouse. Comparing what happened before and after Matney's arrival is pretty meaningless, IMO. The current program bears little semblance to that of the three years that preceded his arrival. I mean no disrespect to any previous JC coaches, but I always left Johnson Central-Sheldon Clark games believing that Matney outcoached his counterpart - and that includes the games that JC won. Matney won games that he should have lost and he made games that he lost much closer than they should have been.

I was very disappointed when Matney turned down the JC coaching position before the school hired Bruce Humphrey. There was little or no difference between the talent available during those three lean years that preceded Matney's arrival and now but the difference in the JC program is like night and day.

I never even heard of Johnson Central, so I doubt too many people are ducking them. Is it a newer school? I don't exactly think they would strike a lot of fear into most of the established teams.

He said as he crawled out from under a rock.

As a free thinker, I'm not impressed...

Never dreamed I would steal a quote from gametime.:D

Wow. What a reaction. Good Job JC Alumni. "Afraid" isn't the right word. These teams around here can't beat us anymore, and Belfry wouldn't have beaten us last year either. Taking nothing away from the pride and rich tradition, just calling a spade a spade, and refusing to buy the excuses that Belfry uses our scrimmages as "practices" and we use them as games. Regardless, we kicked Belfry around pretty good the last 2 years. We would have done the same the last week of the season. Belfry mopped the floor with Central all those years, and can't do it anymore. Why would they want to schedule a loss? Nothing to gain is why. Prestonsburg won't play us because Matney has a history with Pburg, and they don't really want the annals of history to show what would happen. Similar story with the others. So, even though I have no authority, on behalf of the Johnson Central powers that be, go tell your coaches we think you're a bunch of chickens (lol). Otherwise, we'll continue traveling great distances to find competition. And by the way, Bryan Station would have thumped just about every team around here last year. And they're visiting us this year, and are apparently much improved. It'll be a tough game.