Jim Matney's Pre-Game Comments

InTheLoop

I think Matney was referring to his tenure as head coach at JC. Matney's Sheldon Clark teams did play some of the strong Prestonsburg teams.

I don't think that many people outside of Johnson County understand the changes that have come to the Johnson Central football team. Matney was very competitive both in AA and AAA when he coached at Sheldon Clark. Now, he has one of the top, if not the top, middle school programs in the mountains and the largest high school enrollment in the area.

Matney is one of the top coaches in the state and he now has the talent pool to build a perennial powerhouse. Comparing what happened before and after Matney's arrival is pretty meaningless, IMO. The current program bears little semblance to that of the three years that preceded his arrival. I mean no disrespect to any previous JC coaches, but I always left Johnson Central-Sheldon Clark games believing that Matney outcoached his counterpart - and that includes the games that JC won. Matney won games that he should have lost and he made games that he lost much closer than they should have been.

I was very disappointed when Matney turned down the JC coaching position before the school hired Bruce Humphrey. There was little or no difference between the talent available during those three lean years that preceded Matney's arrival and now but the difference in the JC program is like night and day.

:thumb: People that havent been around the JC football program dont know this. I agree with you, I always thought Matney was a better coach than whoever JC had coaching including Musick. Matney took two middle school teams (Inez & Warfield Middle) who were always killed at the Middle school level by JCMS's 8th grade team and sometimes even the 7th grade team. But when both programs made it to the High School level, SC was the ones dominanting and JC was behind. Can anyone tell me why? Matney always got the very best out of his players and works with what he has and sometimes that wasnt much but he still wins. Matney knows how to develope his talent and use what he has. Plain and simple. Had Matney arrived instead of Bruce Humphery, I guarantee you that JC would have not had those 3 down years.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never heard anyone say anything about Belfry dodging JC. I merely said i would like to see JC and belfry hook back up in the regular season again, great rivalry with a very lopsided win to lose record in Belfry's favor. As for Ashland dominating JC, Ashland leads the series 4-1, not really all that dominate, and considering how close the last game was i would say they are about even.
I think Matney's record against Ashland is more germaine to the debate than Johnson Central's record against them. With a much smaller enrollment, Matney's Sheldon Clark teams more than held their own with the Tomcats. There is no reason to believe that Johnson Central will not play at least on equal terms with Matney at the helm. Likewise, I don't think that Ashland's record prior to Coach Hart taking over is any indication of how future games will go. Both are excellent coaches and I will be shocked if the Tomcats dominate the series in the future, even if one agrees that a 4-1 record is "dominant."

Wow. What a reaction. Good Job JC Alumni. "Afraid" isn't the right word. These teams around here can't beat us anymore, and Belfry wouldn't have beaten us last year either. Taking nothing away from the pride and rich tradition, just calling a spade a spade, and refusing to buy the excuses that Belfry uses our scrimmages as "practices" and we use them as games. Regardless, we kicked Belfry around pretty good the last 2 years. We would have done the same the last week of the season. Belfry mopped the floor with Central all those years, and can't do it anymore. Why would they want to schedule a loss? Nothing to gain is why. Prestonsburg won't play us because Matney has a history with Pburg, and they don't really want the annals of history to show what would happen. Similar story with the others. So, even though I have no authority, on behalf of the Johnson Central powers that be, go tell your coaches we think you're a bunch of chickens (lol). Otherwise, we'll continue traveling great distances to find competition. And by the way, Bryan Station would have thumped just about every team around here last year. And they're visiting us this year, and are apparently much improved. It'll be a tough game.

First round exit in the playoffs a faint memory huh???

Seriously, you have jumped the gun bigtime...at least maybe win a game in the playoffs before you declare that everyone is scared to play you, lol...

I think Matney was referring to his tenure as head coach at JC. Matney's Sheldon Clark teams did play some of the strong Prestonsburg teams.

I don't think that many people outside of Johnson County understand the changes that have come to the Johnson Central football team. Matney was very competitive both in AA and AAA when he coached at Sheldon Clark. Now, he has one of the top, if not the top, middle school programs in the mountains and the largest high school enrollment in the area.

Matney is one of the top coaches in the state and he now has the talent pool to build a perennial powerhouse. Comparing what happened before and after Matney's arrival is pretty meaningless, IMO. The current program bears little semblance to that of the three years that preceded his arrival. I mean no disrespect to any previous JC coaches, but I always left Johnson Central-Sheldon Clark games believing that Matney outcoached his counterpart - and that includes the games that JC won. Matney won games that he should have lost and he made games that he lost much closer than they should have been.

I was very disappointed when Matney turned down the JC coaching position before the school hired Bruce Humphrey. There was little or no difference between the talent available during those three lean years that preceded Matney's arrival and now but the difference in the JC program is like night and day.

I totally understand what has happened at Central. That is one place that I never understood why they weren't a fixture as a top program in Eastern KY. They are the largest school (Boyd Co is close), they have great facilities and support. The one thing that always blew my mind was how Eddie Blair had them thumping everybody in middle School then they got to high school and they were the one's getting thumped.

If the new alignment doesn't hurt them then then Central really has a chance to become a power. The stars are aligned... coach, numbers, support, facilities etc. The big achillies IMO to the Central program is their lack of success in the post season. I have a feeling that they will go deep in the playoffs this year. I don't think they get past the final four but I do think they should be in the Regional Championship and that game should be a tossup.

No doubt he has things going in the right direction and it is good for Eastern KY football. He is a good coach that has brought a lot of excitement to the Eagles. I am a HUGE Coach Burchett fan too! I wish them nothing but the best other than 1 game. I think they are right there with Rockcastle as the best 2 teams in the Region. I guess I get a little frustrated with the a few fans on this board getting so cocky all of the sudden. I know the vast majority of JC fans aren't like that. I also loved playing football and baseball at JC. GREAT fields and they even treated us to dinner.

Having been a part of JC for only a short time, I think that the Eagle fans should be very proud of their teams' accomplishments. The community has rallied around their players (like in other communities) and are excited and eager for each year to be better. Johnson Central is building a strong foundation and with that comes tradition. Other comments are made from other schools about their schools history and tradition...not unlike other schools with "tradition" it all started somewhere, maybe Johnson Central's time is now.

I agree with everything except the Ashland comment which I already know you have gotten drilled about. However, I will agree that Hillard Howard (Belfry) and Dudley Hilton (Bell Co.) wouldn't dodge JC either. Got to like how the coach for JC motivates his players though!:dancingpa

Hilliard Howard is not the coach at Belfry. Phillip Haywood is.

Seriously, you have jumped the gun bigtime...at least maybe win a game in the playoffs before you declare that everyone is scared to play you, lol...

You know the history pretty well for someone who never heard of Johnson Central. Anyone who knows Central football knows we're young, and will be even better next year. Maybe we can get a local schedule think. Help us out bro'.

This coming from a man with four first names...lol...why is it so hard to stay on topic?

The fact is that a lot, not all, but a lot of teams refuse to play Johnson Central. Whether Johson Central loses in the first round of the playoffs has no bearing on whether or not teams will play Johnson Central.

It's really not that hard if we all concentrate.

Having been a part of JC for only a short time, I think that the Eagle fans should be very proud of their teams' accomplishments. The community has rallied around their players (like in other communities) and are excited and eager for each year to be better. Johnson Central is building a strong foundation and with that comes tradition. Other comments are made from other schools about their schools history and tradition...not unlike other schools with "tradition" it all started somewhere, maybe Johnson Central's time is now.

I'm with you.... they have all the reason in the world to be excited. The difference is that unlike "other communities" those places aren't calling people out for being scared and their fans aren't acting like they have already won as many championships as Highlands so everybody should be scared. I'm not talking about Matney, I'm talking about a few that are on the KoolAide that go a little overboard. I understand that all communities have these folks so I try not to let that taint the picture of the majority of supporters of the program. Like I said I am glad they are winning. It's good for the area. Sometimes a few folks go overboard and it's hard not to react. I'll try to leave this on a positive note and say that I enjoyed playing there not only in football but also baseball and basketball. The facilities are great and the folks treated us great after the games (football). I though that was very classy and shows the support they have.

:lol: The "chicken" I support is a Class A school playing Henry Clay tonight.:sssh:

Then your school has probably run into the same problem. The 80s are long gone though, and the school you're talking about isn't really competition anymore, except for Paintsville (a non-chicken) and Hazard. Thought maybe you were speaking on behalf of a school that might compete with Johnson Central.

This coming from a man with four first names...lol...why is it so hard to stay on topic?

The fact is that a lot, not all, but a lot of teams refuse to play Johnson Central. Whether Johson Central loses in the first round of the playoffs has no bearing on whether or not teams will play Johnson Central.

Yes lets all be good little kids and listen to "free thinker" teach us his philosophies.:lol:

Stay focused. My point is no one fears JC. Who knows why Prestonsburg didn't play them, if that is even the case...Maybe they had scheduling conflicts...

Then your school has probably run into the same problem. The 80s are long gone though, and the school you're talking about isn't really competition anymore, except for Paintsville (a non-chicken) and Hazard. Thought maybe you were speaking on behalf of a school that might compete with Johnson Central.

never mind