Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Jim Matney's Pre-Game Comments

Featured Replies

You know the history pretty well for someone who never heard of Johnson Central. Anyone who knows Central football knows we're young, and will be even better next year. Maybe we can get a local schedule think. Help us out bro'.

I'll defend my old pal B.R.J.B (because he agreed with me in a post earlier this week):D . He was not the one who had never heard of JC. That was one of those Northern Kentucky freethinkers.

  • Replies 139
  • Views 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll defend my old pal B.R.J.B (because he agreed with me in a post earlier this week):D . He was not the one who had never heard of JC. That was one of those Northern Kentucky freethinkers.

 

Thank you, old buddy. I had never been accused of being a free thinker before, it kind of rattled me. Actually, since you are here, I have to admit I root for JC. A few of the fans are getting a little ahead of themselves though. I'll be down that way to see the Apple Bowl blood-letting.:thumb:

I'm with you.... they have all the reason in the world to be excited. The difference is that unlike "other communities" those places aren't calling people out for being scared and their fans aren't acting like they have already won as many championships as Highlands so everybody should be scared. I'm not talking about Matney, I'm talking about a few that are on the KoolAide that go a little overboard. I understand that all communities have these folks so I try not to let that taint the picture of the majority of supporters of the program. Like I said I am glad they are winning. It's good for the area. Sometimes a few folks go overboard and it's hard not to react. I'll try to leave this on a positive note and say that I enjoyed playing there not only in football but also baseball and basketball. The facilities are great and the folks treated us great after the games (football). I though that was very classy and shows the support they have.

 

Just confident. Don't take it too personally. We all eat a little crow from time to time. I like to go overboard. Not too much exageration here though. If you guys have a problem with JC fans being excited and confident, so what. We're always classy. Just pumped and classy now. So...yeah...bring 'em on. We need to play local teams.

Thank you, old buddy. I had never been accused of being a free thinker before, it kind of rattled me. Actually, since you are here, I have to admit I root for JC. A few of the fans are getting a little ahead of themselves though. I'll be down that way to see the Apple Bowl blood-letting.:thumb:

 

You do know that this year the Apple Bowl is not being played on the Thursday night before Apple Day. It is the Friday before Apple Day weekend. And i agree with you some fans are getting ahead of themselves just hope i dont come across as one of them cause i know how far JC has to go before they prove themselves to anyone.

Then your school has probably run into the same problem. The 80s are long gone though, and the school you're talking about isn't really competition anymore, except for Paintsville (a non-chicken) and Hazard. Thought maybe you were speaking on behalf of a school that might compete with Johnson Central.

 

You seem awful confident of a team who hasnt made any playtoff noise in a while and who you say has won a couple scrimmages this year. Let Johnson Central prove something first before they start making all these strong coments:sssh:

You do know that this year the Apple Bowl is not being played on the Thursday night before Apple Day. It is the Friday before Apple Day weekend.

 

Didn't know that, thanks. They should have left tradition alone and had it on Thursday, so all the other schools' fans could catch the game...

  • Author
Didn't know that, thanks. They should have left tradition alone and had it on Thursday, so all the other schools' fans could catch the game...

 

Believe it or not....this actually is one case of a scheduling conflict.

Just confident. Don't take it too personally. We all eat a little crow from time to time. I like to go overboard. Not too much exageration here though. If you guys have a problem with JC fans being excited and confident, so what. We're always classy. Just pumped and classy now. So...yeah...bring 'em on. We need to play local teams.

Trust me I don't take it personally. I like to have a good time. Without a doubt JC has a ton to be excited about. With Rockcastle only winning 2-0 over Corbin I think JC is the clear cut favorite to win the Region this year. Now all they have to do is go out and prove the hype which I think they will. There's a difference in confidence and arrogance. It's not my program so I'm not real worried about the perception some are giving off.

Good luck this year! JC has a lot to be excited about without a doubt!

Then your school has probably run into the same problem. The 80s are long gone though, and the school you're talking about isn't really competition anymore, except for Paintsville (a non-chicken) and Hazard. Thought maybe you were speaking on behalf of a school that might compete with Johnson Central.

Ole Grasshopper you will learn .

Didn't know that, thanks. They should have left tradition alone and had it on Thursday, so all the other schools' fans could catch the game...

 

Yep, said it was something to do with lep year or something but i agree ppl from all around the area came to watch this game. It drew alot of attention and playing on friday with all the other local teams will probably hurt the attendance numbers.

Believe it or not....this actually is one case of a scheduling conflict.

 

If it has been played on Thursday for 20 years, how could a conflict arise? Just wondering.

You seem awful confident of a team who hasnt made any playtoff noise in a while and who you say has won a couple scrimmages this year. Let Johnson Central prove something first before they start making all these strong coments:sssh:

 

Thanks, we are confident. I would think Morehead could relate to being a doormat in football, so help us out man. The subject is refusal of local teams to play us. The rest is harmless smack.

Yep, said it was something to do with lep year or something but i agree ppl from all around the area came to watch this game. It drew alot of attention and playing on friday with all the other local teams will probably hurt the attendance numbers.

I dont think that it will effect attendence this year, as the game is being played at Paintsville. If the crowd is 2/3's of what it was last year, they'll never get them all through the gates.

I totally understand what has happened at Central. That is one place that I never understood why they weren't a fixture as a top program in Eastern KY. They are the largest school (Boyd Co is close), they have great facilities and support. The one thing that always blew my mind was how Eddie Blair had them thumping everybody in middle School then they got to high school and they were the one's getting thumped.

If the new alignment doesn't hurt them then then Central really has a chance to become a power. The stars are aligned... coach, numbers, support, facilities etc. The big achillies IMO to the Central program is their lack of success in the post season. I have a feeling that they will go deep in the playoffs this year. I don't think they get past the final four but I do think they should be in the Regional Championship and that game should be a tossup.

The Golden Eagles' lack of playoff success has diminished some of their solid regular season records, no doubt. I think that a lot of factors have worked against JC over the years.

 

Some of their better teams, like the undefeated 2000 team, played in 4A. In 2000, JC had the smallest enrollment in 4A. For a mountain 4A team, with player transportation complications, to compete strongly with the metro teams down state is a pretty tall order. JC's weak kicking game in most seasons also limited their success in the playoffs. Consistently losing the battle of field position in the playoffs, especially for a ground-oriented team without great speed like Coach Musick's teams, makes it tough to advance very deeply.

 

Let me take the opportunity to say that I enjoyed the 2000 JC season more than any other. Coach Musick did an outstanding job that season as I believe that the Golden Eagles won six games on its final drive, including at least one on the final play. I have never seen a team play that many close games with so much confidence and composure. I give Bill Musick all the credit for instilling that kind of winning attitude in his players, two of which were my sons.

 

Coach Musick left some very big shoes to fill and it took Johnson Central three tries to find the right man. I heard that Matney said that JC deserved B+'s for their scrimmage performances, but that they are a team capable of A+ performances. Matney is extremely confident (many would use the term "cocky"), but if he believes that this team has the capability to be that good, then I am going to take him at his word.

Ole Grasshopper you will learn .

 

Finally, a valid point. Mason is fast and unbelievably under everyone's radar. I for one worry about this season finale. And you guys should be able to relate to the lack of respect. How'd the opener go?

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.