Jim Matney's Pre-Game Comments

InTheLoop

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, we are confident. I would think Morehead could relate to being a doormat in football, so help us out man. The subject is refusal of local teams to play us. The rest is harmless smack.

We should just call a spade a spade. Who is scared besides Pburg supposedly? Lawernce Co plays you and did before they were in the same District. Paintsville still plays you even though the numbers at Central probably triple or quadruple Paintville's enrollment (there's a school with a lot of guts:lol: ). Who else are you wanting to get on your schedule around there so bad that isn't on there?

Guest kybigguy42

Coach Matney has turned the Central program around and he did have some great success at Sheldon Clark. But has anyone mentioned that it took him 10 years to win a playoff game with the Cards? It only took Sean Hager 2 years to win 2.

As for the middle school games against Inez and Warfield......Central with its huge enrollment should have drilled them every year. It was a matter of numbers. Last season Inez beat Central's 8th Grade in the Middle School Playoffs.....and lets see how things play out now that the Martin County Middle Schools have consolidated their programs.

Jim is a great coach, but sometimes he talks too much. He should worry more about who he is playing and not so much about those who are allegedly dodging him.

We should just call a spade a spade. Who is scared besides Pburg supposedly? Lawernce Co plays you and did before they were in the same District. Paintsville still plays you even though the numbers at Central probably triple or quadruple Paintville's enrollment (there's a school with a lot of guts:lol: ). Who else are you wanting to get on your schedule around there so bad that isn't on there?
I seem to recall reading on BGP that Matney was quoted last year as saying that he would like to drop the Paintsville game. I hope that does not happen, but the outcome of the game is beginning to get pretty predictable with Matney coaching JC. In the past, the outcome of the game was a shock to fans as often as not. Matney has taken some of the suspense out of the game. :D

Matney will continue to work to upgrade Johnson Central's schedule, whether or not he has to go out of the area to find strong opponents. With Ohio's Harbin rating system, I would not be surprised to see him schedule some stronger Ohio teams in the future - but Ironton can't play every team in eastern Kentucky.:lol:

Coach Matney has turned the Central program around and he did have some great success at Sheldon Clark. But has anyone mentioned that it took him 10 years to win a playoff game with the Cards? It only took Sean Hager 2 years to win 2.

As for the middle school games against Inez and Warfield......Central with its huge enrollment should have drilled them every year. It was a matter of numbers. Last season Inez beat Central's 8th Grade in the Middle School Playoffs.....and lets see how things play out now that the Martin County Middle Schools have consolidated their programs.

Jim is a great coach, but sometimes he talks too much. He should worry more about who he is playing and not so much about those who are allegedly dodging him.

:thumb: :thumb:

How did the program that Matney took over compare to the one that he left to Sean Hager? Was Hager not on Matney's coaching staff, or did he train under another head coach?

I agree that the consolidation of the Inez and Warfield middle schools should help Sheldon Clark at the high school level. Having the high school and middle school on the same campus has been a big advantage for JC.

If JC is really in need of games, every team in Jefferson County will only have three district games starting next year. You know what they say on the Price is Right... C'mon Down!!! I feel pretty sure nobody down here is afraid.:lol:

If JC is really in need of games, every team in Jefferson County will only have three district games starting next year. You know what they say on the Price is Right... C'mon Down!!! I feel pretty sure nobody down here is afraid.:lol:

My question is did you even read the opening of this thread? He wants local games not some more 3 hour drives. But thanks for you input.

I like it. We have enough teams around here that are solid opponents so we should never have to go out of state or towards the western end of the state. You have Belfry, Sheldon Clark, Prestonsburg, Russell, Corbin, Rock, Bell, and etc. I dont understand why no one around here wouldnt want to play JC, they have a good following which would lead to a good gate for that school.

Whoa,Whoa,Whoa... Who has refused to play them? I'm pretty sure the teams you've mentioned are not afraid to play Johnson Central. One reason they may not play each other is district play, most schools only have 3 non-district opponents... And when these schools have rivalaries with locals schools, which generate revenues for both schools, they're not going to change that because another school wants them to. I way you've said this makes me feel like you mean that the schools are afraid of Johnson Central. Somehow I doubt that VERY seriously, especially with schools you've listed.

Next year with the new class system, schools will be able to get more non-district opponents.... Coach Matney will have many schools to ask to play next year.

If it has been played on Thursday for 20 years, how could a conflict arise? Just wondering.

I believe it had to do with the KHSAA moving Johnson Central three out of four years...or something like that. I believe the conflict arose with Greenup County as the Apple Bowl week was the only date they had available.

Johnson Central can take the team to Columbus or Cincy in about the same time that it takes to drive a bus to Louisville. If JC plans to compete with Highlands and CCH in the future, they might as well play the same Buckeye teams that beat up on Kentucky's current AAA state powers nearly every time they meet.:D

Whoa,Whoa,Whoa... Who has refused to play them? I'm pretty sure the teams you've mentioned are not afraid to play Johnson Central. One reason they may not play each other is district play, most schools only have 3 non-district opponents... And when these schools have rivalaries with locals schools, which generate revenues for both schools, they're not going to change that because another school wants them to. I way you've said this makes me feel like you mean that the schools are afraid of Johnson Central. Somehow I doubt that VERY seriously, especially with schools you've listed.

Next year with the new class system, schools will be able to get more non-district opponents.... Coach Matney will have many schools to ask to play next year.

Well that wasnt the way i meant it. I was just pointing out their is enough quality teams in this area that JC should be having to play teams like South Point, OH and Logan, WV. I didnt mean to come across cocky would just like to see JC start up some regular season games with Sheldon Clark and Belfry specifically, cause they were usually good game. (well not some many of the games with Belfry:lol: ) And im like you i said if the 6 class format passes then i would definately love to see more local teams play each other cause the district games are going to keep everyone on the road.

Finally, a valid point. Mason is fast and unbelievably under everyone's radar. I for one worry about this season finale. And you guys should be able to relate to the lack of respect. How'd the opener go?

Right now were down 7-6 to Lexington Lafayette.