Jim Matney's Pre-Game Comments

InTheLoop

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i agree with you to an extent. I for one if the 6 class format passes, hope alot of local teams will start playing one another for the fact that alot of time is going to be spent on the road in district play. JC has played Madison Central while Matney was their and played them as good as anyone did that year in districts.

He played Madison Central when he had to, it was a district game. I believe we're talking about the scheduling of non-district opponents.

Hit the nail right on the head, they have had 1 good season in last year and are off to a good start this year and everyone in Johnson County thinks that this team has already won the state title and cant be beat.:lol: :rolleyes:

You need to worry about your own problems in Louisa before you start talking about other schools and communities.

Do that. Check your map and get back to me.:lol:

I grew up in the Columbus area and I regularly drive to eastern Kentucky through Louisville on I-65/I-64 and Cincy on I-74/I-75/I-64. There are many people on this board who know football better than me, but I don't need a map to know how long it takes to drive from Johnson County to Louisville, Cincy, and Columbus.

Paintsville to Columbus 182 miles!

I am not sure if you were trying to make a point or just reenforcing my point. In any case, here are travel directions from MapQuest:

Paintsville to Columbus, Ohio 177 miles

Paintsville to Louisville, KY 190 miles

Paintsville to Cincinnati, Ohio 202 miles

The trips to Louisville and Cincy include more interstate miles, so there is not really much difference in travel time to the three cities. I am not that familiar with Ohio football, so I don't know how many potential JC opponents there are outside of Columbus and Cincy. I suspect that there are many strong programs in south central and southeastern Ohio that are closer to Paintsville than Louisville. And I said before, as JC continues to improve its program, it would be an attractive opponent for a strong Ohio program because of that state's playoff qualification system.

I am not sure if you were trying to make a point or just reenforcing my point. In any case, here are travel directions from MapQuest:

Paintsville to Columbus, Ohio 177 miles

Paintsville to Louisville, KY 190 miles

Paintsville to Cincinnati, Ohio 202 miles

The trips to Louisville and Cincy include more interstate miles, so there is not really much difference in travel time to the three cities. I am not that familiar with Ohio football, so I don't know how many potential JC opponents there are outside of Columbus and Cincy. I suspect that there are many strong programs in south central and southeastern Ohio that are closer to Paintsville than Louisville. And I said before, as JC continues to improve its program, it would be an attractive opponent for a strong Ohio program because of that state's playoff qualification system.

So you want to be a Harbin Cow, do ya? All you have to do is promise to meet at a "neutral" site or at their stadium, take your whippin' like a man and then win all your games in Kentucky. Its as simple as that.

So you want to be a Harbin Cow, do ya? All you have to do is promise to meet at a "neutral" site or at their stadium, take your whippin' like a man and then win all your games in Kentucky. Its as simple as that.
It seems to work pretty well for the NKY teams. BTW, Warren Central is only a couple hours north of Louisville (1-1/2 hrs. closer than JC is to Louisville). Has Trinity ever played WC or Ben Davis? It would be interesting to see how the 'Rocks would fare against one of the top programs in the country if they could persuade WC to schedule them.

It seems to work pretty well for the NKY teams. BTW, Warren Central is only a couple hours north of Louisville (1-1/2 hrs. closer than JC is to Louisville). Has Trinity ever played WC or Ben Davis? It would be interesting to see how the 'Rocks would fare against one of the top programs in the country if they could persuade WC to schedule them.

The Rocks played Ben Davis back in the mid to late nineties. Got beat bad one year and played them pretty tough but still got beat another year. I'm sure in the new 6A the Rocks will traveling to Indy and Cincy and beyond. I'm sure they could be enticed by that $15K though.

Wow. What a reaction. Good Job JC Alumni. "Afraid" isn't the right word. These teams around here can't beat us anymore, and Belfry wouldn't have beaten us last year either. Taking nothing away from the pride and rich tradition, just calling a spade a spade, and refusing to buy the excuses that Belfry uses our scrimmages as "practices" and we use them as games. Regardless, we kicked Belfry around pretty good the last 2 years. We would have done the same the last week of the season. Belfry mopped the floor with Central all those years, and can't do it anymore. Why would they want to schedule a loss? Nothing to gain is why. Prestonsburg won't play us because Matney has a history with Pburg, and they don't really want the annals of history to show what would happen. Similar story with the others. So, even though I have no authority, on behalf of the Johnson Central powers that be, go tell your coaches we think you're a bunch of chickens (lol). Otherwise, we'll continue traveling great distances to find competition. And by the way, Bryan Station would have thumped just about every team around here last year. And they're visiting us this year, and are apparently much improved. It'll be a tough game.

If "kicking around" a team looking for nothing but practice and improvement in a scrimmage makes you a perennial E. Ky power then break out the champagne my friend because you have arrived.:scared: As far as Belfry not wanting to schedule a team because they are scared of a loss, then please know youre information before speaking such utter nonsense. Remember Belfry has played Ironton for 10+ years with not much as an outside chance of winning but just looking for a team to push them to where they need to be come the end of the season. And finally as far as JC "kicking around" Belfry at the end of last season, its another hallucination that you and maybe a select few of uneducated football minds might agree on. Now Im a die hard Matney supporter. I would have loved to play for him and I cant wait til JC is the power that I think he will build but lay off of the "holier than thou" attitude for now. When you get there we will pat you on the back but for now lets just say good luck.

If "kicking around" a team looking for nothing but practice and improvement in a scrimmage makes you a perennial E. Ky power then break out the champagne my friend because you have arrived.:scared: As far as Belfry not wanting to schedule a team because they are scared of a loss, then please know youre information before speaking such utter nonsense. Remember Belfry has played Ironton for 10+ years with not much as an outside chance of winning but just looking for a team to push them to where they need to be come the end of the season. And finally as far as JC "kicking around" Belfry at the end of last season, its another hallucination that you and maybe a select few of uneducated football minds might agree on. Now Im a die hard Matney supporter. I would have loved to play for him and I cant wait til JC is the power that I think he will build but lay off of the "holier than thou" attitude for now. When you get there we will pat you on the back but for now lets just say good luck.

:thumb:

Then your school has probably run into the same problem. The 80s are long gone though, and the school you're talking about isn't really competition anymore, except for Paintsville (a non-chicken) and Hazard. Thought maybe you were speaking on behalf of a school that might compete with Johnson Central.

The way we hung with a 4a school last night Id like to see Pikeville play JC. This was just Matney playing the "No Respect" card to fire his boys up.

Couple things:

Did it ever cross anyone's mind that maybe, just maybe, Matney is painting the picture to fans as the program everyone loves to hate?

THIS is a very astute comment... My compliments !!

It also explains why Central has tried so very hard to have Prestonsburg use one of their non-district slots to schedule a game with the Eagles. The Blackcats are the reigning "program everyone loves to hate"...

:cool: