Jim Matney's Pre-Game Comments

InTheLoop

It cracks me up that Johnson Central has had a couple of good years (not including the playoffs) and all of the sudden they are the BEAST OF THE EAST at least in their minds.

Central has a great thing going right now and they should, they are the biggest team in the area but let's not act like programs like Belfy and Pburg are scared or something. Belfry playing NCC and teams like Pikeville playing Henry Clay pretty much show that those guys will play anybody.

EXACTLY!!!!! Great post. These schools are not afraid of JC. Belfry will play anybody. They've played Ironton past few years, Henry Clay, NCC, Lawrence, just to name a few.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Johnson Central can take the team to Columbus or Cincy in about the same time that it takes to drive a bus to Louisville. If JC plans to compete with Highlands and CCH in the future, they might as well play the same Buckeye teams that beat up on Kentucky's current AAA state powers nearly every time they meet.:D

I'd have to check the map but last I looked Columbus is 100 miles north of Cincy. So your calculation seems pretty odd. Take it from some folks that know, you may want to walk before you run. There aren't many teams in Kentucky that can play on the same field with Ohio teams. Plus, wheres your loyalty to your fellow Kentuckians? Its real easy, just get on the Bert Combs like you're going to Lexington and just keep on going. I realize you guys don't get to play in Louisville much (when was your last trip to the finals) but its not that bad a trip.

I don't know how many of you heard Matney's comments before the North Laurel game Friday. But, I wanted to get some thoughts on his comment that other East KY teams were dodging the Golden Eagles. He said that it has been tough finding local teams that were willing to play Johnson Central. Apparantly one school turned down a $15000 package.

It seemed out of the ordinary for a coach to call out other teams like that. What do you guys think? Personally, being a Johnson Central fan, I like the confidence being displayed by the Golden Eagles.

I cant imagine any HS turning down $15000 to play but I REALLY cant imagine where a HS would come up with $15000 to offer.

He said that it has been tough finding local teams that were willing to play Johnson Central. Apparantly one school turned down a $15000 package.

I've been by JC a few times and find it hard to believe they could afford to offer any team $15k. That's a package that Cincinnati Elder offers but they seat 10,000 people.

Johnson Central can take the team to Columbus or Cincy in about the same time that it takes to drive a bus to Louisville. If JC plans to compete with Highlands and CCH in the future, they might as well play the same Buckeye teams that beat up on Kentucky's current AAA state powers nearly every time they meet.:D

You have got be kidding me by post this stuff.:rolleyes:

I'd have to check the map but last I looked Columbus is 100 miles north of Cincy. So your calculation seems pretty odd. Take it from some folks that know, you may want to walk before you run. There aren't many teams in Kentucky that can play on the same field with Ohio teams. Plus, wheres your loyalty to your fellow Kentuckians? Its real easy, just get on the Bert Combs like you're going to Lexington and just keep on going. I realize you guys don't get to play in Louisville much (when was your last trip to the finals) but its not that bad a trip.

You might want to do that...check the map that is. Columnus is the same travel time as Louisville. BTW, is Louisville even considered part of KY anymore? I thought all that red meant that it was annexed as part of IN.:D

We should just call a spade a spade. Who is scared besides Pburg supposedly? Lawernce Co plays you and did before they were in the same District. Paintsville still plays you even though the numbers at Central probably triple or quadruple Paintville's enrollment (there's a school with a lot of guts:lol: ). Who else are you wanting to get on your schedule around there so bad that isn't on there?

Paintsville has guts, and leads the overall series. Lawrence has guts, and has won 90 percent of the time. My wish list would add Belfry every year (crowd drawer for both and YMT would be on board, I would think); Prestonsburg, and occasionally Sheldon Clark, Pikeville, and if last night means anything, maybe up and coming Letcher Central. I would also like a big coal company to move to Paintsville and lay us some carpet!

Right now were down 7-6 to Lexington Lafayette.

Pulling for ya'. Small 3A school, bounced back big in the playoffs (saved some face for the rest of us), and had the best fans I've ever seen come to Central. Real tailgaters. I enjoyed a plate and a nice conversation. Hope we can keep playing when alignment changes.

I cant imagine any HS turning down $15000 to play but I REALLY cant imagine where a HS would come up with $15000 to offer.

That was probably a typo. I heard Pike Central paid us $3,000 to get out of the Touchstone Bowl last year, and we paid the little team from Beckley, WV $4,000 to fill the void. I agree. It wasn't $15,000.

Coach Matney has turned the Central program around and he did have some great success at Sheldon Clark. But has anyone mentioned that it took him 10 years to win a playoff game with the Cards? It only took Sean Hager 2 years to win 2.

As for the middle school games against Inez and Warfield......Central with its huge enrollment should have drilled them every year. It was a matter of numbers. Last season Inez beat Central's 8th Grade in the Middle School Playoffs.....and lets see how things play out now that the Martin County Middle Schools have consolidated their programs.

Jim is a great coach, but sometimes he talks too much. He should worry more about who he is playing and not so much about those who are allegedly dodging him.

Straight facts, and well said. Disagree with the opinion on Matney's mouth, because it has been frustrating, but Martin County got it done last year.

Do that. Check your map and get back to me.:lol:

I grew up in the Columbus area and I regularly drive to eastern Kentucky through Louisville on I-65/I-64 and Cincy on I-74/I-75/I-64. There are many people on this board who know football better than me, but I don't need a map to know how long it takes to drive from Johnson County to Louisville, Cincy, and Columbus.

You are correct about the level of football played in Ohio and that was my point. Those whose teams compete in Louisville, Lexington, and NKY tend to look down on teams from eastern Kentucky, just as the top teams in Ohio look down upon the NKY teams.

It is always best to understand that no matter how good you think your team is and no matter how much success they have had in Kentucky's playoffs, there is almost always a team north of the Ohio River waiting to deliver a good whoopin' to them. If it makes you feel good to belittle JC because it has never played in the state finals, then by all means do it. I hope that if Johnson Central ever does win a state title that their players and fans will maintaing some sense of perspective about them.

That was probably a typo. I heard Pike Central paid us $3,000 to get out of the Touchstone Bowl last year, and we paid the little team from Beckley, WV $4,000 to fill the void. I agree. It wasn't $15,000.

That was not a typo. Matney said it was a $15000 package. I believe it was part of the Touchstone Energy Bowl being played this week.

That was not a typo. Matney said it was a $15000 package. I believe it was part of the Touchstone Energy Bowl being played this week.

Wow...

I was referring to last year's situation, but didn't know about the $15,000. I guess the number crunchers did the arithmetic, but that seems like a lot to pay a team. New Uniforms and pads!!

I never even heard of Johnson Central, so I doubt too many people are ducking them. Is it a newer school? I don't exactly think they would strike a lot of fear into most of the established teams.

I think you must be kidding; never having heard of JC. In the late 70s, I had fear in my heart when my sister had band competitions at JC; but I do sweat when the heat is on.:D