Kasich wins Ohio

Did I hear correctly that Gov Kasich winning means Trump cannot get to the magic number and that there will be a brokered convention?

I guess whomever you were listening to was incorrect. It will be a hard row to hoe(a saying from my Dad), but I think they said Trump could get enough delegates if he won 58%??? of the outstanding delegates in the primaries and caucuses left.

Going to show my ignorance here, but what happens to the delegates that Rubio/Carson/etc. did win? If nobody gets to the magic 1237 before the convention, do these come back into play?

They only come back into play if the candidate with the most delegates but not the 1237 needed, does not get the nomination on the first ballot of the convention. Then it comes to a second ballot and all delegates are no longer bound by the candidate that won them in the primaries and caucuses and all bets are off.

I guess whomever you were listening to was incorrect. It will be a hard row to hoe(a saying from my Dad), but I think they said Trump could get enough delegates if he won 58%??? of the outstanding delegates in the primaries and caucuses left.

I like that saying and use it occasionally. Also, while on vacation in Venice, I spent some time with a rather rotund prostitute and she turned out to be a hard hoe to row.

Based on expected winners in other states going west where Cruz will run strong and the expectation that Kasich will win some of the northeast states, it is doubtful anyone will have enough delegates to win a first ballot nomination.

The last Republican contested, or brokered, convention was 1948.

In 1976, Gerald Ford was 40 delegates short after the primaries but got enough delegates to switch to get a first ballot win over Reagan.

It will be interesting to see how Cruz does out west. Remember he was SUPPOSED to be strong in the south and Trump pretty much slapped him around in the south. What northeast states is Kasich going to win? Trump will dominate New York and New Jersey and New Jersey is a winner take all state I think. I don't think Kasich will win another state and will finish in 3rd in most. Him winning Ohio just delayed the inevitable for him and has to really tick off Cruz more than Trump because he will now stay in for longer. Keep in mind that in the other 4 states last night, Kasich got 7, 8, 9, and 12% of the vote. He won Ohio but is simply not much of a factor in most other states. I actually like Kasich but that is just the honest truth with him.

According to this page, Trump needs to win a little over 45% of the remaining 1134 delegates. Which certainly seems possible. What it does certainly mean is that will be impossible for Cruz to win the 65% of the remaining delegates that he would need to win outright before the convention.

According to this page, Trump needs to win a little over 45% of the remaining 1134 delegates. Which certainly seems possible. What it does certainly mean is that will be impossible for Cruz to win the 65% of the remaining delegates that he would need to win outright before the convention.

Forgot the link

Going to show my ignorance here, but what happens to the delegates that Rubio/Carson/etc. did win? If nobody gets to the magic 1237 before the convention, do these come back into play?

Don't feel bad, I was going to ask the same thing. My mother was over for dinner last night and we both wondered the same thing.