Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Featured Replies

I'm in the market for a new grill.

 

Anyone own an infrared grill ? I currently own a gas grill but I'm considering giving one a try.

  • Replies 55
  • Views 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My gas grill is an infrared. Love it. Have the commercial grade.

I have a Weber Try Infrared. Prefer charcoal but it does a good job.

I don't have an infrared, would like to try one.

 

I have been toying with the idea of a new charcoal grill. Thinking about the PK cast aluminum grill and smoker. These things are built like tanks, are rustproof, have a 30 day money back guarantee, free shipping and free return shipping, 10 year warranty. Has anyone on here ever owned/cooked on a PK ?

 

PK Charcoal Grill & Smoker | Portable Kitchen

It really does depend on the type of cooking you do and the space you have.

 

If you do a lot of BBQing and offset cooking infrared is a pain. The sauce and juices run down through and dirty up the burners that are off really bad. You must cover them with foil if you offset cooking, and you're not utilizing the heat factor that you're paying for.

 

If your a griller and do a lot of steaks, chicken breasts, burger, etc infrared is great. High heat, more consitent temp hold, less hot spots.

 

Just so you know. There is no such thing as an inexpensive infrared grill. IMO there are only 3 good choices (unless you go commercial) The Weber Genesis (everyone knows this one), the Broilmaster R3B (which gives you the best of both worlds), or if you want something portable and easy to store away. This bad boy is fantastic the TEC Cherokee FR.

 

I personally prefer a regular gas grill, but that's just me. I would say, of the people I know, it's 75/25 in favor of infrared.

 

I have a Dyna-Glo Bronze 60,000 BTU unit. I concider it to be the best on the market, and they are on Amazon Prime right now for a good price.

Amazon.com : Dyna-Glo Bronze 6, BTU 4-Burner Propane Gas Grill with Side Burner : Freestanding Grills : Patio, Lawn & Garden

 

For charcoal I have a Char-Griller AKORN. Love it.

Edited by coldweatherfan

It really does depend on the type of cooking you do and the space you have.

 

If you do a lot of BBQing and offset cooking infrared is a pain. The sauce and juices run down through and dirty up the burners that are off really bad. You must cover them with foil if you offset cooking, and you're not utilizing the heat factor that you're paying for.

 

If your a griller and do a lot of steaks, chicken breasts, burger, etc infrared is great. High heat, more consitent temp hold, less hot spots.

 

Just so you know. There is no such thing as an inexpensive infrared grill. IMO there are only 3 good choices (unless you go commercial) The Weber Genesis (everyone knows this one), the Broilmaster R3B (which gives you the best of both worlds), or if you want something portable and easy to store away. This bad boy is fantastic the TEC Cherokee FR.

 

I personally prefer a regular gas grill, but that's just me. I would say, of the people I know, it's 75/25 in favor of infrared.

 

I have a Dyna-Glo Bronze 60,000 BTU unit. I concider it to be the best on the market, and they are on Amazon Prime right now for a good price.

Amazon.com : Dyna-Glo Bronze 6, BTU 4-Burner Propane Gas Grill with Side Burner : Freestanding Grills : Patio, Lawn & Garden

 

For charcoal I have a Char-Griller AKORN. Love it.

 

Those are some expensive grills...

I have the Char Griller Akorn and it's my only grill. Love it, not only usual grill stuff but have smoked a bunch of ribs and a couple pork shoulders/butts. Real treat was a Papa Murphy's pizza, came out great with a pizza stone

Those are some expensive grills...

 

Yep. From everything I've read, and folks I've talked to, the infrared burners on the cheap ones will last about 2 years. Then you're replacing them at the cost of another grill.

 

I'll take my Dyna-glo @ $350 over just about any non-commercial grill out there.

Yep. From everything I've read, and folks I've talked to, the infrared burners on the cheap ones will last about 2 years. Then you're replacing them at the cost of another grill.

 

I'll take my Dyna-glo @ $350 over just about any non-commercial grill out there.

 

Which Dyna-glo model? And are all the Dyna-glo's the same quality?

 

I am in the market for a small grill and my grill will be outside but under cover at all times. No rain will hit it.

As mentioned above, the Akorn is great. I'm a charcoal guy, I still own a gas grill, but I rarely use it. What it all comes down to is what you want and your price range though. If you don't mind tending to a fire occasionally, I would go with charcoal for the flavor. If you want to just turn it on and let the meat cook, gas or infrared.

 

The price is the big kicker, infrared is expensive, gas and charcoal not so much. I will say that you can buy a charcoal grill that will get just as hot or hotter than an infrared and it will be more versatile in what you can do with it. But on the other hand it will take a little more work than turning a knob and putting meat on the grate. It all comes down to what you want to pay and what your idea of grilling is to be honest.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.