Lent 2016

I love the idea of a daily rosary. I may borrow that.

In years past, I tried to attend mass daily but wow, unless you're retired that's hard to do with the way local mass times are these days.

Feel free! In years past I used to pray 1 decade every time I went into my car, but since I don't drive as much any more the once a day suffices.

Since when have they stopped the "remember you are dust, and to dust you shall return" bit when receiving ashes?

At Mass last night, it was "Repent, and believe in the Gospel".

I don't know when that option was added to the rubrics, but it's my understanding that both are still appropriate and the priest can choose whichever one he likes. Only the "Remember, man, that thou art dust..." was in the rubrics before 1970; the second one could have been added even later than that.

Since when have they stopped the "remember you are dust, and to dust you shall return" bit when receiving ashes?

I went to a different church last night and the priest was cracking me up. He was an older guy and by the end of mass I was convinced that he couldn't see very well so everything he read was basically whatever he could recall from memory. His homily was definitely off the cuff, and he explained a little bit prior to administering ashes.

He explained that the use of either of the sayings were acceptable and to spice things up he switched around every once in awhile. I sat toward the back, so at the end of the line I was blessed with the shorter "Repent and believe in the Gospel."

Ash Wed. came early this year!

Anyone giving up something new this year? I am going to attempt to give up alcohol. I think it’s going to be really hard – I have a drink or two a couple of times during the week and definitely indulge on the weekend. I really hope I can do it!!

I gave it up last year. It was rough at first, but not so bad all around. I started drinking diet rootbeer and Ale 8 instead.

This year I'm giving up meat. So far so good after day two.

[h=2]No need to throw out the chocolate, booze, and carbs. Pope Francis has a different idea for fasting this year.[/h] Christians around the world mark the beginning of Lent with the celebration of Ash Wednesday. This ancient day and season has a surprising modern appeal. Priests and pastors often tell you that outside of Christmas, more people show up to church on Ash Wednesday than any other day of the year—including Easter. But this mystique isn’t reserved for Christians alone. The customs that surround the season have a quality to them that transcend religion.

Perhaps most notable is the act of fasting. While Catholics fast on Ash Wednesday and on Fridays during the Lenten season, many people—religious or not—take up this increasingly popular discipline during the year.

MORE Here’s What People On Twitter Say They’re Giving Up For Lent

But Pope Francis has asked us to reconsider the heart of this activity this Lenten season. According to Francis, fasting must never become superficial. He often quotes the early Christian mystic John Chrysostom who said: “No act of virtue can be great if it is not followed by advantage for others. So, no matter how much time you spend fasting, no matter how much you sleep on a hard floor and eat ashes and sigh continually, if you do no good to others, you do nothing great.”

But this isn’t to downplay the role of sacrifice during the Lenten season. Lent is a good time for penance and self-denial. But once again, Francis reminds us that these activities must truly enrich others: “I distrust a charity that costs nothing and does not hurt.”

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know when that option was added to the rubrics, but it's my understanding that both are still appropriate and the priest can choose whichever one he likes. Only the "Remember, man, that thou art dust..." was in the rubrics before 1970; the second one could have been added even later than that.

Hard to go wrong with the words of Jesus, "Repent and believe in the Gospel" (Mark 1:15). Of course, I'm not Catholic and my opinion doesn't count. I also think the words of Genesis 3:19 are sobering and appropriate for inspiring reflection on one's life - the point of the observance, I suppose. I guess I like them both.

• 1 month later...

From the traditional Good Friday observance, a section known as the Improperia, or "Reproaches":

Popule meus, quid feci tibi, aut in quo contravisti te?

O my people, what have I done to thee? Or wherein have I afflicted thee?

Responde me. Quia educxi te de terra Aegypti: parasti crucem Salvatori tuo.

Answer me. Because I led thee out of the land of Egypt, thou has prepared a cross for thy Savior.

Every Catholic has heard Gregorian Chant, but this one is in what's known as Old Roman Chant, which if you've never experienced, is pretty remarkable.