Open Job: Adair County

Harry Doyle

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I will give my opinion. We are almost 60 days away from the dead period ending in July and there are teams still without a coach. Some positions have just opened recently and are just starting the hiring process. However, Adair has been open for months and I'm not positive, but at this point may be the longest open position out of all the others. Many have been critical of the administrations at schools that have drug their feet in the hiring process and set their programs back. Yet some believe this administration should be given a pass because for the most part they were successful coaches. Adair has the talent that they will still win ball games this year. But, this process has done nothing to help the program achieve goals for this season, and time will show that it was most likely a detriment to a team that may possibly have the most talent they will ever field. Administration should have hired a coach months ago that was willing and able to not just carry on what has been done, but to continue and build a program. If I coached outside of Adair right now I would have serious thoughts about accepting this position now. It shows the administration is not fully committed to the success of the program. They want to succeed, but are content with mediocrity.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I have to remember that I'm reading about Adair and not Trinity or Scott County. I have been in High School football for a long time. Played and Coached. But I would think if you are able to get a decent Guy to run the program and pay him less than what most assistants make in other schools, plus he will live there, then you should jump on it. Don't get me wrong I love Green River Lake but after that we all know there isn't much to attract a high level Coach to come to Adair. Seems like "Tradition" started about 4 years ago......

Edited by Papacoach22
Word left out

Coach Gays first team won 4 games, +3 over the previous season. Also in coach Gays 2nd season the team won 6 games and had a winning season for the 3rd time in school history. Every single kid on this years team was in junior high at that time.

They've had 4 winning seasons in 60 years and I'm supposed to believe the previous coach wasn't very good:lol2:

They've had 4 winning seasons in 60 years and I'm supposed to believe the previous coach wasn't very good:lol2:

They've now had a total of 5 winning seasons in school history and coach Gay had 3 of them, but he sucks according to super dad.

They've now had a total of 5 winning seasons in school history and coach Gay had 3 of them, but he sucks according to super dad.

Ugh, coaching is one of the few professions where everyone thinks they can do better.

Ugh, coaching is one of the few professions where everyone thinks they can do better.

Listen man (or woman), when I was watching Super Bowl 49, and the Seahawks threw that interception in the end zone, I knew that it was the wrong call. And if that doesn't make me a great coach, then I don't know what does. I am 100% accurate on telling someone what a good move or a bad move was. Plus, I have very strong opinions and am a huge fan of football. If that's not qualified, then I don't know what is.

And don't even get me started on Madden. I can put up some insane numbers on there. Touchdown City, mayor: ME!

Listen man (or woman), when I was watching Super Bowl 49, and the Seahawks threw that interception in the end zone, I knew that it was the wrong call. And if that doesn't make me a great coach, then I don't know what does. I am 100% accurate on telling someone what a good move or a bad move was. Plus, I have very strong opinions and am a huge fan of football. If that's not qualified, then I don't know what is.

And don't even get me started on Madden. I can put up some insane numbers on there. Touchdown City, mayor: ME!

:laugh:

But there are actually people like this :(

Ft Campbell was 3-8 ..Monroe was 2-9 LaRue was 2-8 Taylor was 5-6 Russell Co. Was 0-10!!! The year Travis beat them!!!! Whoohoo!!! You are exactly right on Vagas... Adair was just ranked higher in every poll in Ky!!! Sorry for my mistake!!!

All of those teams ARE traditionally better than Adair EVEN when they have had losing records. Polls mean squat, that does not produce favorites when using class differences bucko. I get it, your son doesn't want Stephens...grab a whistle, watch some NFL live, and get out there and coach. But until then...let the professionals do their job. Adair will NOT attract a coach with much success, it is located squarely in the armpit of KY, has way too many downsides, and there usually needs to be a teaching job to go with the coaching job. And unlike popular belief you have to be certified in that subject area to get that job. Settle down, you'll be lucky to beat those teams we listed once or twice over the next 20 years....you don't know what you got til its gone! Gay is a good coach, you were lucky to get him in the first place.

So who do the players and parents want? Are they even sure that the guy they want has applied for the job? As another poster mentioned high school coaches will need a teaching position in a area they are certified. Is there a teaching position open in the area for that coach that they want? I would think you would want Gay in the process as he knows who would do the best job IMO. Why are they against Stephens?

Even though it's not the same guy, are we really willing to let a bad year or two define the career of a coach?

I mean, if we're talking about the same guy (not the Stephens from Adair) then I'd assume that most guys would be able to get another opportunity somewhere down the road.

But, I could be wrong.

Even though it's not the same guy, are we really willing to let a bad year or two define the career of a coach?

I mean, if we're talking about the same guy (not the Stephens from Adair) then I'd assume that most guys would be able to get another opportunity somewhere down the road.

But, I could be wrong.

Some of my best years of coaching were when I didn't have much talent and had a losing record.

Some of my best years of coaching were when I didn't have much talent and had a losing record.

This is something that not enough people realize. For me, I'm most impressed by the people who go beyond their talent. A guy who coaches a team with almost zero talent, but wins 6 or 7 games? Yeah, that's super impressive. The guy who wins 12 games but has a roster that should win 15? Meh, that's good enough, I guess.

I think some of the smartest coaches are the guys who can scheme and game plan around some pretty awful kids, and then win games.