My 1-A Pre-Season Top 10

Westsider, Mayfield beat Bardstown which was ranked #1 going into that game. Several Danville people who were at that game said we were a much better team than Danville. I don't know what more Mayfield could have done.
Been competitive with NewCath, for starters.

Bardstown was #1 in the AP poll, best I recall, but we all know how unreliable the AP poll can be sometimes.

Mayfield was pretty good last year, and they may have been the second-best team in Class A. But, given the way they were shelled by NewCath, to say they were "without a doubt" the #2 team is hard to justify. NewCath supporters may very well think Beechwood or Lexington Christian was better.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been competitive with NewCath, for starters.

Bardstown was #1 in the AP poll, best I recall, but we all know how unreliable the AP poll can be sometimes.

Mayfield was pretty good last year, and they may have been the second-best team in Class A. But, given the way they were shelled by NewCath, to say they were "without a doubt" the #2 team is hard to justify. NewCath supporters may very well think Beechwood or Lexington Christian was better.

I agree, the North and East may have been stronger on the whole than the Central and West last year.

I'm saying the quote of "NewCath, Danville, and Beechwood are the Big 3" is usually the tune heard every year. Mayfield hasn't been as consistently in it the past few years.
Yeah Mayfield has been so inconsistent and out of it the past few years. Give me a break.

I guess I will weigh in, last year NCC was clearly the best and seemed to be playing their best at the end of the season. Mayfield was likely in trouble before the game ever started, NCC did somthing very well that Mayfield had not faced all season, a team that was solid all over and had a very solid passing game, the Cards had not faced such a attack all season. Had the Cards not fumbled on their opening drive and drove on in for a TD like it looked like they might have done it MIGHT have prevented the total collapse but in the end NCC was going to win that game. There may have been other teams that would have matched up better than we did but I never got to see the likely choices of Danville or Beechwood.

This year I think the preseason favorites have to be Danville and NCC with some question marks surrounding the other contenders. Danville seems loaded from last year while NCC also returns alot. Beechwood to me is a unknown with a new coach but one that is a part of the past program that has been a machine. Mayfield is about right at maybe as high as #4 or as low as #8. I just know to little about the others to say or guess.

I guess I will weigh in, last year NCC was clearly the best and seemed to be playing their best at the end of the season. Mayfield was likely in trouble before the game ever started, NCC did somthing very well that Mayfield had not faced all season, a team that was solid all over and had a very solid passing game, the Cards had not faced such a attack all season. Had the Cards not fumbled on their opening drive and drove on in for a TD like it looked like they might have done it MIGHT have prevented the total collapse but in the end NCC was going to win that game. There may have been other teams that would have matched up better than we did but I never got to see the likely choices of Danville or Beechwood.

This year I think the preseason favorites have to be Danville and NCC with some question marks surrounding the other contenders. Danville seems loaded from last year while NCC also returns alot. Beechwood to me is a unknown with a new coach but one that is a part of the past program that has been a machine. Mayfield is about right at maybe as high as #4 or as low as #8. I just know to little about the others to say or guess.

I would say that is pretty fair. 5-8 or so. Give or take a position on either side.

But, given the way they were shelled by NewCath, to say they were "without a doubt" the #2 team is hard to justify. NewCath supporters may very well think Beechwood or Lexington Christian was better.
:thumb:

I'll take a stab at it...

1.Danville

2.NewCath

3.Louisville Holy Cross

4.Beechwood

5.Mayfield

6.Pikeville

7.Somerset

8.Lynn Camp

9.LCA

10.Russellville

I was thinking Bardstown was AA for some reason...they are no doubt top 10 in Class A IMO.

My "new" top 10.

1.Danville

2.NewCath

3.Louisville Holy Cross

4.Beechwood

5.Mayfield

6.Bardstown

7.Pikeville

8.Somerset

9.Lynn Camp

10.LCA

Did Lc loose that much that they are not in the top ten this year?

How much did they loose and how will it hurt them?

LC did lose a good group of Seniors, but they still have their O line pretty much back that has produced over 5,000 yards on the ground the last two season. The D-line took a big hit with the lost of Anthony Walters, but still should be solid with Michael Hall and Brian Slusher back. The backfield is still strong with Joe Roskopf, who may have been the best back LC had last season. I think we are close to a top ten right now, and we can move up. We do play in a region that is wide open every year, where several teams have a chance to win the region, and LC does have a team back if they stay healthy will be in the mix.

I agree that the top 4 will have the 95% chance of winning it, but I disagree with Beechood over NCC. But I must admit I am a tiny bit bias. :D

Intersting that you mentioned 3 or the 4 are from the NKY district, and you are correct - that is imo the toughest class A district in the state.