Coaching Salaries

RockinGa

It's not illegal for boosters to pay coaches. They just have to do it through the school system. The school system creates a position, head football coach $50,000 stipend, and the boosters give the money to the school to purchase that position. Kentucky just doesn't have booster clubs or individuals willing or able to write those kind of checks.

I do not think this is correct...but what do I know.:idunno:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...

All public school coaching positions have a stipend that is set by the board of education. Boosters cannot supplement that in any way- either through the school activity accounts or through their organization.

In Fayette County, boosters can help cover the cost of assistant coaches' stipends because FCPS doesn't pay for all 11 assistants you are allowed to have. They only pay for 4 of them. The others must be paid through fundraising and the money comes from the school activity accounts.

7-8,000 is the average for Kentucky. I researched this thoroughly about a year ago. The lowest head coaches made 3500-4500 and the highest public school position I could find was 18,000. The coordinators at that school make almost as much as head coaches everywhere else.

Edited by WestDanville
Spelling

Boosters can pay for part or all of a coaches salary but must be reported that way on the schools annual budget.

Here is the quote from kentucky redbook going with what you said. Booster can pay just has to be through the school payroll. Anyone that read this you will see that it state they cannot pay them directly but can give the money to the school in order for that salary to be paid. (it says additional coaches but it is the same for a head coach)

Can external /support booster organizations create and fund additional coaching positions

at the school?

No. All positions must be created by the local board of education, including the salary or stipend

amount associated with each position. External support/booster organizations may make donations to

the district for the purpose of paying board-established salaries or stipends which must be paid

through district payroll. Likewise, booster groups cannot pay “volunteer” coaches. The local board

would have to take action to set a payment amount for that work and then the booster group could

donate funds to the district to offset the cost.

7-8,000 is the average for Kentucky. I researched this thoroughly about a year ago. The lowest head coaches made 3500-4500 and the highest public school position I could find was 18,000. The coordinators at that school make almost as much as head coaches everywhere else.

Can you name the two schools on the separate ends of the spectrum?

Depending on years experience in the classroom Jefferson County believe it or not could be on the bottom of this spectrum. I'm almost positive that you could be a head coach in JeffCo & only make in that $3,500-4,500 range.

Depending on years experience in the classroom Jefferson County believe it or not could be on the bottom of this spectrum. I'm almost positive that you could be a head coach in JeffCo & only make in that $3,500-4,500 range.

Jefferson County 4,600 to 7,500 depending on years of service

Here is the quote from kentucky redbook going with what you said. Booster can pay just has to be through the school payroll. Anyone that read this you will see that it state they cannot pay them directly but can give the money to the school in order for that salary to be paid. (it says additional coaches but it is the same for a head coach)

Can external /support booster organizations create and fund additional coaching positions

at the school?

No. All positions must be created by the local board of education, including the salary or stipend

amount associated with each position. External support/booster organizations may make donations to

the district for the purpose of paying board-established salaries or stipends which must be paid

through district payroll. Likewise, booster groups cannot pay “volunteer” coaches. The local board

would have to take action to set a payment amount for that work and then the booster group could

donate funds to the district to offset the cost.

This is absolutely correct and a much more in depth response to my statement

Can’t quite recall the 3500 school but Adair County I can remember having under 4500 as starting pay for head football coaches with 0-4 years of experience. The 18,000 is at Boyle County.