Open Jobs

So if you look at all of the records and compiled historical data and trends, do coaches at these lower echelon schools who have success, have better opportunities to propel their career and/or have had more success at high echelon schools?

Are these schools a great filter for next generation coaches who will succeed and who wont, also always making them a 'stepping stone" school. Do these schools use this information to attract coaches?

Disclosure: I don't know what it's like to coach in JCPS, I reserve all judgments on past and future coaches and their success/failures. I'm just an avid football follower.

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the Ballard job more appealing than the Manual job?

Yes because the week district has you number 2 by default until good yrs where you compete with Trinity for #1

Regarding competition, that was my thought as well. What about athletes and school climate?
I believe the administration and the community want a winner. I believe manual is an academics first type of school with an Extremely tough programs. They lost several players to Waggner and other schools related to academic performance.

Ballard is good academic school but academic criteria and expectations are not the same. Manual is a Notre Dame situation of high school football.

So if you look at all of the records and compiled historical data and trends, do coaches at these lower echelon schools who have success, have better opportunities to propel their career and/or have had more success at high echelon schools?

Are these schools a great filter for next generation coaches who will succeed and who wont, also always making them a 'stepping stone" school. Do these schools use this information to attract coaches?

Disclosure: I don't know what it's like to coach in JCPS, I reserve all judgments on past and future coaches and their success/failures. I'm just an avid football follower.

In the past it does seem to correlate to having success and that those jobs propelled those coaches forward. Currently we have not seen those who had success recently get the better jobs in the county. For instance Manual hiring a guy out for three years instead of maybe going with one of these guys. Who knows though, maybe they didn't apply.

I believe they are a filter because with open enrollment it would seem that these are some of the tougher jobs to win at, when other schools like Male, Butler, Central, and Manual are taking the best and everyone else has to coach who they get. As far as a stepping stone I feel it depends on the coach. Some guys are happy to be where they are. I know Farmer would have never left Doss, unless he went to Male because that is where he graduated from.

As far as schools using this information to hire coaches, I doubt it. It would be smart, but I doubt it.

For arguments sake, there is this guy, named Ty Scroggins; he now has half as many rings as he does fingers, at a school that never won a title before & HE went 21-33 at Doss. Farmer went 41-41. Five of those 41 wins came in the playoffs. While we're on the topic of playoff wins, I'd be curious to know the total number of playoff wins Doss even has. If Farmer doesn't have at least half (or more) of them, consider me shocked.

I know, I know...it's easy to look out at some of these Jefferson County schools; see the talent and think "How hard could it be?", but winning (any capacity) at some of those schools (and others across the state) might just be a little bit harder than some of you think.

Granted, if you've been a head coach (and, maybe you are), you tend to have a little bit better understanding of that.

Full disclosure:

**There isn't a bigger fan of Ty Scroggins on this site than me**

This is dead on. There are 3 times as many good coaches in this state than there are good jobs. Good programs can make average coaches look great and bad programs can make great coaches look average or even bad at times. It would be interesting to study how many championship coaches won championships prior to arriving at the traditional powers they coach now.

One that comes to mind is Chuck Smith. He built Boyle into what it is today.

This is dead on. There are 3 times as many good coaches in this state than there are good jobs. Good programs can make average coaches look great and bad programs can make great coaches look average or even bad at times. It would be interesting to study how many championship coaches won championships prior to arriving at the traditional powers they coach now.

Yep. Chuck, Ty, etc. all turned their programs into what they are now.

I think Chuck even had a 1 win or O'fer season when he was the head coach back at Campbellsville HS in the late '80's.

Heck, even Kevin Wallace; I don't know his exact record there, but while at Warren East, his career record was something like 15-20 games below .500 (he told me and a group of other guys that himself).

It's all about players (Jimmy's and Joes) you look at someone like Russ Prospt who got into all kinds of trouble he is not going to coach at a school with no players. He is a great coach yes but he isn't going to coach no talent. Coaches will always tell you it's about having players. I agree some coaches are better at using that talent and getting kids to play hard but heck Nick Saban couldn't win at some of these high schools.

Completely agree but this was with great support from the principal to hire coaches, add in school weights etc. Chuck did it but was allowed to have the tools that many other coaches in Ky. are denied on a regular basis.

It's all about players (Jimmy's and Joes) you look at someone like Russ Prospt who got into all kinds of trouble he is not going to coach at a school with no players. He is a great coach yes but he isn't going to coach no talent. Coaches will always tell you it's about having players. I agree some coaches are better at using that talent and getting kids to play hard but heck Nick Saban couldn't win at some of these high schools.

Very well said. You could take Prospt, Beatty, Mueller, Wallace, Smith, etc. to Phelps or Jenkins or Fulton City and they're going to struggle. Most would likely even struggle at some of the 5A rural county schools. A coach can certainly helps things, but you also have to have some players.

For Fun. Dont take offense if it is your team...but I will compare each job to a College Football job:

1) Ballard Vanderbilt

Extreme academic powerhouse competing with the big and bad teams around them. Success can happen fairly quickly, people want to come there and a great location geographically. History of sending guys to the next level. With that said, history is not kind and basketball may actually reign supreme.

2) Bell County South Carolina

Talent pool is there and the fanbase and boosters are beyond loyal. Used to playing big boy football. Program is on a downward trend and the competition is rapidly getting tougher around them. Chances for high level post season success are limited and every slip up people will compare you to the old historic coach who once roamed the sidelines.

3) Bullitt East Colorado

There are things to like and the program has tasted elite success before. Pretty excellent location and some name recognition, but post season success is feeling like a distant memory. Potential..if the right guy is hired and changes the trajectory of the program.

4) Edmonson County Wyoming

Rural purgatory. Program has had some blips on the radar but no real success to speak of. Hard to draw an elite coach because the fiancnials and support simply aren't there.

5) Iroquois South Florida

The talent pool is all around you, but it seems to always go to the bigger name schools close to you. After thought to most and people have better things to do with their time when you are playing under the lights. If you bring the talent in and keep it at home you can be successful though.

6) Owen County South Alabama

No real success and a pretty small level of football. Hard to start momentum, but your Conference is weak and you can easily see some post season success just by reaching mediocrity.

7) Sheldon Clark Rutgers

For a while you were competing at a very high level under a well known coach. Then your program became a train wreck filled with controversy and an administration that had no clue what they were doing. Now you are in over your head in your Conference and noone wants to play there. Long way to go to get back to where you want to be.

8) Valley Cincinnati

Much like South Florida, the talent pool is all around you if you can keep it in your doors and not at the other local teams. You have had some nice seasons in the past but never seemed to get over the hump.

9) Webster County Akron

Not to be mean, but when people think of you they think of bad football and scheduling you for a homecoming game. A .500 season is a major step forward most years and most people can't even name your mascot.

FILLED:

1) Holy Cross (Louisville) SMU

You have great academics and some built in advantages in terms of geography. You have also seen some past success and it would not be hard to get the ball moving and go deep in the post season in your current conference alignment. With that said, there are numerous schools you have to compete with in your own back yard. A program similar to you is a hot ticket (DeSales= TCU)

2) Logan County Texas State

Could be places worse in terms of location, but you can't remember the last time you were relevant on the big scene. Low expectations means the slightest bit of success will be met with open arms.

3) Manual Georgia

You should be a Top 10 program in the entire country every single year. You have won your fair share of regular season games and are regarded as an elite athletic institute. You can potentially draw the best of the best in terms of a talent pool and your alumni have excelled at the next level. With that said your post season success is not close to where it should be and you rarely win the "Big Game" against your powerhouse rivals who collect Championship trophies.