Jesus Would Approve of Same-Sex Marriage

So says former President Jimmy Carter in his latest book, A Full Life: Reflections at Ninety.

Carter, arguably the most religious president of our generation, has taught Sunday school for probably the last six decades or so .

I highly recommend this book. Do you agree with the former President about Jesus' approval of gay marriage?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So says former President Jimmy Carter in his latest book, A Full Life: Reflections at Ninety.

Carter, arguably the most religious president of our generation, has taught Sunday school for probably the last six decades or so .

I highly recommend this book. Do you agree with the former President about Jesus' approval of gay marriage?

Keeping the party line to the end, no surprises.

No.

"I think Jesus would encourage any love affair if it was honest and sincere and was not damaging to anyone else, and I don't think that gay marriage damages anyone else." --- Jimmy Carter

Carter said that while he supports same-sex weddings, he does not think churches who disagree with the practice should be required to perform them. He adds, "But those two partners should be able to go to the courthouse or a different church and get married."

"I think Jesus would encourage any love affair if it was honest and sincere and was not damaging to anyone else, and I don't think that gay marriage damages anyone else." --- Jimmy Carter

Carter said that while he supports same-sex weddings, he does not think churches who disagree with the practice should be required to perform them. He adds, "But those two partners should be able to go to the courthouse or a different church and get married."

Carter's premise that just because a love affair isn't damage to anyone else, that Jesus would approve, is flawed in and of itself. Sure, Jesus doesn't want you to do damage to anyone else, but he doesn't want you to do damage to yourself either. Practicing bad morals is damaging to yourself...to your soul. Jesus doesn't want that either.

Look at the ten commandments:

"Thou shalt have no other gods before me"

"Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image"

"Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain"

"Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy"

"Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house, his wife, his servants, or his goods"

That's half of the ten commandments - one of the primary bases of Christian morality - that don't deal with anyone other than a single person. They have nothing to do with being damaging to anyone else, and everything to do with being damaging to your own self. The pretense of something being okay because it's not damaging to someone else is false according to Christian principals.

Meh.

Buddhism doesn't damage anyone else either. That doesn't make it Christianity.

My difference with Carter, I guess, is that Carter believes wholeheartedly in a man named Jesus. I maintain that there is no real evidence that such a man ever existed. Maybe he lived and died, maybe he didn't. None of us can say for sure. If he lived, he very well may have been a really good dude. What he didn't do, in my opinion, is live, die, and live again. That would be supernatural and I've never seen any scientific evidence of a supernatural occurrence. Not even one event. Whenever I witness a truly supernatural event, then I will be more than open to the possibility of a supernatural savior. Until then, I 'll come down on the side of math and science. Who was the old guy back in the seventies and eighties that went around on national TV debunking all these psychics and supernatural claims? He offered up big money to anyone who could prove they were legit. Not a single person was ever able to claim the money. The Amazing Randy...that was his name. Gray beard and glasses.

My difference with Carter, I guess, is that Carter believes wholeheartedly in a man named Jesus. I maintain that there is no real evidence that such a man ever existed. Maybe he lived and died, maybe he didn't. None of us can say for sure. If he lived, he very well may have been a really good dude. What he didn't do, in my opinion, is live, die, and live again. That would be supernatural and I've never seen any scientific evidence of a supernatural occurrence. Not even one event. Whenever I witness a truly supernatural event, then I will be more than open to the possibility of a supernatural savior. Until then, I 'll come down on the side of math and science. Who was the old guy back in the seventies and eighties that went around on national TV debunking all these psychics and supernatural claims? He offered up big money to anyone who could prove they were legit. Not a single person was ever able to claim the money. The Amazing Randy...that was his name. Gray beard and glasses.

The Amazing Randy has nothing to do with Jesus. Randy went around debunking TV psychics and side show acts of mysticism. Christians don't go around saying they can bend spoons with their mind or make pages of a book turn just by looking at the book...that's the stuff your boy Randy debunked.

Funny from the same guy who posted this when asked if he believed in other intelligent life in the universe.

Yes, without a doubt. Widespread intelligent life in the universe. Millions, if not billions of civilizations.

And yes, being in and around central and eastern Kentucky most of my life, most all intelliegent life in the Universe would be FAR ADVANCED from what we know. Likely no religions on the most advanced civilizations.

By your self imposed paramaters for ability to be scientifically proven, seems like you pick and choose where you impose said parameters.

I see supernatural events all the time .. Coral reefs and fishes , a sunset , the human body , reproduction. I see God in all of it .

All those things are wonders. I love them as well. But just because you "see God in them" doesn't mean such a being exists. Proof. Proof. Someone told me they saw a psychedelic horse in a vision once. Doesn't mean the horse existed.