20 Years of 9th Region Basketball

To piggyback off the 10th region thread...

Who are the top 5 players and teams from the 9th region over the last 20 years?

I'm a little younger and don't know much about the late 90's Highlands' teams, so I'll go with:

1. 2009 Holmes

2. 2004 Covcath

3. 2003 St Henry

4. 2008 Holmes

5. 2014 Covcath

1. Elijah Pittman

2. Mike Brock

3. Justin Doellman

4. Ross Neltner

5. Ricardo Johnson/Ron Dawn/Brandon Hatton/James Bolden/Brennan Votel/Arrez Henderson/Derek Smith???

Thoughts?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. 2009 Holmes

2. 2014 Covington Catholic

3. 1997 Highlands

4. 1998 Highlands

5. 2004 Covington Catholic

1. Derek Smith

2. Elijah Pittman

3. Ross Neltner

4. James Bolden

5. Ronnie Dawn

1. 2009 Holmes

3. 1997 Highlands

4. 1998 Highlands

1. Derek Smith

2. Elijah Pittman

3. Ross Neltner

4. James Bolden

5. Ronnie Dawn

Give me 2008 Holmes over 1998 Highlands. They wouldn't be in my top 5 but I like your list of players.

Good thread.

I'd put the 1997 Highlands team right near the top of the list, and the 98 team not too far behind. Both lost to the eventual state champ in the Sweet 16, and neither lost to a ninth region team once the football guys were available.

Derek Smith has to be in the top 5 list. Only reason he didn't play DI basketball was he chose SEC football.

Other names to consider: Brendon Stowers, Joe Harney, Jeff Krohman, Todd Clark, Brennan Votel, Chris Thompson, to name a few.

20 years is a long time, and there have been a lot of really good players. Picking a top 5 isn't easy. For those that may not remember the Ninth Region was really good and really deep with talent in the mid 90's and early 00's.

Give me 2008 Holmes over 1998 Highlands. They wouldn't be in my top 5 but I like your list of players.

I like 98 Highlands win quality (beat eventual state champ Scott Co and a really really good PRP team in the regular season) and tougher regular season schedule over 2008 Holmes.

I like 98 Highlands win quality (beat eventual state champ Scott Co and a really really good PRP team in the regular season) and tougher regular season schedule over 2008 Holmes.

I didn't like the limitations. They were too dependent on Smith and Jared. Smith would have been a tough match-up, but Highlands guards would have had issues with Holmes.

To piggyback off the 10th region thread...

Who are the top 5 players and teams from the 9th region over the last 20 years?

I'm a little younger and don't know much about the late 90's Highlands' teams, so I'll go with:

1. 2009 Holmes

2. 2004 Covcath

3. 2003 St Henry

4. 2008 Holmes

5. 2014 Covcath

1. Elijah Pittman

2. Mike Brock

3. Justin Doellman

4. Ross Neltner

5. Ricardo Johnson/Ron Dawn/Brandon Hatton/James Bolden/Brennan Votel/Arrez Henderson/Derek Smith???

Thoughts?

Not gonna lie. I'm surprised to see Brock get some love on here actually. He did compete against Doellman and Neltner head to head and won each match up every time with I'm thinking one exception. Not sure if it was Doellman's Junior or Senior year. I think it was in Districts ot may have been just before. I just remember he had one hell of a game and a lot of folks in the stands were wondering who the hell he was and how did he do what he just did.

Ultimately Doellman became far and away the better college and last I checked professional player. Kid was smooth.

As for Neltner. After watching him play Brock (SK) multiple times and not live up to the hype I was pretty disappointed he won Mr. Basketball. With that said he was certainly talented and had a solid career.

I believe there are some NCAA championships associated with some of those guys.

The only one I believe from that SK 5 that has a NCAA championship is Krohman and it was a DII and if my memory is correct he didn't even play because he had a tore ACL, but could be wrong on that part.

I would the 1995 Simon Kenton team up against any of those top 5 teams. That team was loaded with talent.

G Jeff Krohman 6'1

G Jeff Mckinley 6'5

F Billy Dennis 6'1

F Nick Brosky 6'2

C Scott Meyer 6'4

That 1995 SK team was good, but nowhere near great and they would not even come close to matching up with the top 5 teams listed below.

1. 2009 Holmes

3. 1997 Highlands

4. 1998 Highlands