Overkill?

I have no idea. When a guy has over 1,200 guns and many have never been taken out of the box, I am thinking he is intending to sell some of them...call me crazy but until proven wrong, that is what I am thinking.

You know how I know you don't collect or mess with guns?

When collecting guns and investing in them, the box and hang tags that are original to the gun can double the value........

You know how I know you don't collect or mess with guns?

When collecting guns and investing in them, the box and hang tags that are original to the gun can double the value........

Well you are totally right about that. I am a BIG TIME believer in the right to own guns and may want to buy one in the future but have never owned even one...let alone hundreds. CBDV, you obviously know more about this subject than me so help me out. Why would you want to collect over a thousand guns? Were a lot of the guns the same model? I get collecting older guns that may have sentimental value or speculative value. But newer guns and a lot of the same type? Is he hoping they go up in value?

Wrong.

Facts are that states that have CCW that are issued and cities that have the same, have less crime than those that do not.

Majority of crime in the U.S. Is committed in ban states and those with the most restrictive gun laws.

If you get your facts from Fox News. Many studies have found evidence inconclusive with way too many variables.

Forgive me for not having a belief in people, and them being responsible enough with their concealed gun. Police all over this nation are struggling to justify their actions with guns and they are trained professionals.

I don't feel safer with more guns on the street. That is my agenda.

Well you are totally right about that. I am a BIG TIME believer in the right to own guns and may want to buy one in the future but have never owned even one...let alone hundreds. CBDV, you obviously know more about this subject than me so help me out. Why would you want to collect over a thousand guns? Were a lot of the guns the same model? I get collecting older guns that may have sentimental value or speculative value. But newer guns and a lot of the same type? Is he hoping they go up in value?

Same reason people collect anything...it's what they are into or like. Neighbor has 1000's and 1000's of comics that he has collected since childhood, he collects them and WILL NOT sell them. I guess it's a legacy to leave to his family. I know a guy that collects action figures and never takes them out of the package and has several duplicates of hard to find figures. I know of a guy that was arrested for an unrelated matter and when the police went to his house they were shocked at the number of guns in his collection. The Police called in the ATF and tried to confiscate the guns anyway that they could. But he and his family produced receipts or verification where each and every gun was purchased and that he legally owned everyone of them.

People collect anything and everything that can be imagined, just because this guy had guns doesn't mean he was doing anything wrong, was deranged or had any ill intent.

When the craziness that broke out last spring in Louisville where mobs of people were beating innocent civilians to unconsciousness and hospitalization, the 15 rounds in my Glock suddenly doesn't feel as adequate as an 30 round AR or AK secured in my car.

It is sad to have to think this way but you are exactly right.

Private citizens need to be able to protect themselves from overwhelming threats, most of which are unknown to us but at the same time real possibilities.

I know this sounds crazy to some of you but it could be an angry mob today like Bert correctly pointed out, or in the future it could be the government, robots (think I, Robot the movie here) and it could even be alien invaders.

We have already seen it with mobs and the government. We will see it with Robots and there are probably millions if not billions of alien civilizations out there in the Universe/Multi-Verse and they can't all be friendly.

If you create a gun free zone then you should have to provide armed security.

"Military' style guns are also good general purpose guns. Home protection if wanted, critter control when required. A semi-auto is a semi-auto. Pistol grip or not. The AR-15 is a semi-auto just like most hunting rifles (that fire a more 'powerful' and lethal round.}

Excellent excellent point BGC. As a part of our assault rifle training we got into some theory, demonstrations, etc. about assault rifles and the myths and uses associated with them. In short, an AR-15 (which is a pretty standard issue Military/Police Assault Rifle for those of you not much for guns) is a multi-use, general purpose gun just like BGC pointed out. FAR superior to a handgun in almost every way except portability.

I agree with @ggclfan in the sense that I don't see a reason for anyone to own that many guns, but it's not against the law, so to each their own I guess. :idunno:

If the you know what ever hits the fan hope you know a couple of them (and some ham radio operators). :isurrender:

I agree with @ggclfan in the sense that I don't see a reason for anyone to own that many guns, but it's not against the law, so to each their own I guess. :idunno:

Just so I am clear, I really don't care how many guns you own as long as they were bought legally and it is not for a bad purpose...like selling them on the black market. It does seem strange to me to own THAT many though...

Excellent excellent point BGC. As a part of our assault rifle training we got into some theory, demonstrations, etc. about assault rifles and the myths and uses associated with them. In short, an AR-15 (which is a pretty standard issue Military/Police Assault Rifle for those of you not much for guns) is a multi-use, general purpose gun just like BGC pointed out. FAR superior to a handgun in almost every way except portability.

Store owner in 1 against 3. The one had a 'military style' rifle and stayed alive.

Store Owner cant Find his Pistol so he Pulls his Ar-15 on Thugs and Sends Them Running! | Sure News

From the news cast - "not only intended to steal, but I think, intended to kill him....". The criminals knew the owner was in the store and still tried to break in using their vehicle as a battering ram. Good thing for the "military style" rifle and good thing it had more than 7 rounds (New York law) in it.

It does seem strange to me to own THAT many though...

On that same note, I don't understand why women need so many pairs of shoes but then after thinking about it, why should I care how many they own? In this same topic, I don't see why anyone should care how many guns he owned or that I currently own and will continue to grow. Just drove down to KY Gun Co and picked up a used Ruger LCP a few weekends ago due to the great asking price, thinking about someday getting a surplus WWII M1 Garrand to take part in the Civilian Marksmanship Program. Also thinking about segueing from .40 S&W to 10mm by buying a Glock 20. Oh where does it stop? If money were plentiful, it would be scary how large my collection could become. I guess that his the same with women? Don't know, don't really need to worry about it.

Same reason people collect anything...it's what they are into or like. Neighbor has 1000's and 1000's of comics that he has collected since childhood, he collects them and WILL NOT sell them. I guess it's a legacy to leave to his family. I know a guy that collects action figures and never takes them out of the package and has several duplicates of hard to find figures.

People collect anything and everything that can be imagined, just because this guy had guns doesn't mean he was doing anything wrong, was deranged or had any ill intent.

Was there a thread awhile back on hobbies dealing with collections or was that just a general hobby thread?

I think some would be amazed, interested, or amused at what some collect.

Ah yes, I support the 2nd Amendment BUT! If he owns them legally, has committed no crimes and if you honestly support the 2nd Amendment, why would you care if he owned 1,200 or 12,000 guns? What gives you the right to determine what is rational? Because it differs from your definition?

Also, the usual unfounded silliness didn't take long to surface in this thread. Wild West indeed. :rolleyes: