'17 Covcath G Cole Vonhandorf Recruitment

Is it normal for a kid to have their own personal website? Not starting crap or talking bad about the kid, just honestly wondering if this is common. I follow national recruiting pretty hard every year. I've never really seen this. Sorry if this has been talked about previously.

Cole VonHandorf - KY Lefty - Class of 2017 - KY Athlete - Class of 2017 | KY Athlete ? Class of 2017

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it normal for a kid to have their own personal website? Not starting crap or talking bad about the kid, just honestly wondering if this is common. I follow national recruiting pretty hard every year. I've never really seen this. Sorry if this has been talked about previously.

Cole VonHandorf - KY Lefty - Class of 2017 - KY Athlete - Class of 2017 | KY Athlete ? Class of 2017

Not sure if that's "normal" but I certainly do not have a problem with a kid marketing himself. Families often pay 3rd parties to help market the player. No different here.

My guess is college coaches recruiting or interested in recruiting Cole actually like it quite a bit. They receive the link in a text or quick email, click on it and boom....everything they need is right there.

How much advantage or assistance it provides is probably minimal. It will be Cole's skill set and how they evaluate him that will determine whether a school recruits him or not. But for convenience and making things easy for coaches to learn more about him it likely helps in getting them to take a first look or putting him on their list to follow.

Not sure if that's "normal" but I certainly do not have a problem with a kid marketing himself. Families often pay 3rd parties to help market the player. No different here.

I think this is something we'll see more and more often as online PR options become increasingly numerous and sophisticated. Part of me worries that it creates a less-than-level playing field for families who lack the finances to engage those options, but I certainly can't begrudge those who can afford to promote a player the right to do so.

I think this is something we'll see more and more often as online PR options become increasingly numerous and sophisticated. Part of me worries that it creates a less-than-level playing field for families who lack the finances to engage those options, but I certainly can't begrudge those who can afford to promote a player the right to do so.

It is not that much if you are doing it yourself. GoDaddy.com can get you a domain name and website for likely less than $100/year. If you can manage the content and follow instructions to build a site it is a lot less than one would think to do. Kudos to the family for investing the time, effort, and money but it is not something that only a kid who comes from a wealthy family could do.

A domain name is about $10 a year.

True, but there are hosting costs of an active website with content that will cost more than $10/year. However, it by no means is going to price most families out of doing so. It just takes the innovation and will to get it done along with being a bit technical as well.

True, but there are hosting costs of an active website with content that will cost more than $10/year. However, it by no means is going to price most families out of doing so. It just takes the innovation and will to get it done along with being a bit technical as well.

Actually that is a free Wordpress site so they are paying $10-15 a year for it. Not that it matters. I have no problem with a kid having his own website.

That is helpful information, and I certainly did not mean to imply that there's anything wrong with kids having their own websites. My point -- which I apologize for not making more clearly -- was that I know a few families who cannot afford a computer.

Sadly, that may also mean they can't afford to send their child to camps or AAU events which is where kids are watched.

I bet , though, that if a kid had potential to get a college opportunity someone in the community would help out.

Wow, with all the technology today this seems to be on the extreme side. I was under the impression that Cole was a humble young man. I don't feel this is the norm.

Wow' date=' with all the technology today this seems to be on the extreme side. I was under the impression that Cole was a humble young man. I don't feel this is the norm.[/quote']

What ? How is a site intended to showcase him for a scholarship an indication that he lacks humility?

What ? How is a site intended to showcase him for a scholarship an indication that he lacks humility?

Agree, this is not a site to send his friends and fans to feed a strong self-ego. This is a site to drive coaches and scouts to get easy access information to create interest as a potential recruit. Big difference....the kid seems very humble to me and I have been around him enough in settings with other kids to know for a fact that he is not some ego driven kid.