How do such large companies miss so badly? ESPN?? Come on.

mexitucky

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thoughts on "standing up for beliefs no matter what the cost?"

She pushed her self through chemo and radiation treatments to be in school, with her teammates, etc. to the point that she had to wear sunglasses because lights were too bright and brought about headaches. All because she wanted to be a normal college kid.

What exactly did Jenner stand up for?

She pushed her self through chemo and radiation treatments to be in school, with her teammates, etc. to the point that she had to wear sunglasses because lights were too bright and brought about headaches. All because she wanted to be a normal college kid.

What exactly did Jenner stand up for?

Your argument shows that people have different interpretations.

No issues. I'd say Jenner going public may make it easier for someone else to do the same.

Think about all the flak Jenner has taken for what she did. The jokes, memes, people questioning his motives, folks refusing to recognize her new identity etc. And to do it all very publicly, despite those negative reactions. Now one could argue because of Jenner's celebrity, there was no choice but to do it publicly. But sorry, this did take courage. And while many will never recognize any heroism, or courage in what she did, there are still many that do truly believe that she is a hero. A hero isn't going to be a hero to everyone....Mike Meade is one of my biggest heroes, and there probably aren't 5 guys on BGP who could tell me who he is without looking up the name. And even then I'm pretty certain, no one else would recognize him as a hero. Who you're heroes are, are as much about your circumstance in life and where you're from. I'm guessing there are no transgender persons on this board. there are however many that have been affected cancer or involved with the military. It's easy to see why so many feel Hill and Galloway are so much more deserving. But just because those two fit your narrative and circumstance in life, don't ignore, put down or assume that the thoughts and feelings of those who do recognize Jenner as a hero, as not important or non existent. And that last point is what transgendered people have had to face and go through their entire lives, and why what Jenner did is more courageous than many would like to think.

Think about all the flak Jenner has taken for what she did. The jokes, memes, people questioning his motives, folks refusing to recognize her new identity etc. And to do it all very publicly, despite those negative reactions. Now one could argue because of Jenner's celebrity, there was no choice but to do it publicly. But sorry, this did take courage. And while many will never recognize any heroism, or courage in what she did, there are still many that do truly believe that she is a hero. A hero isn't going to be a hero to everyone....Mike Meade is one of my biggest heroes, and there probably aren't 5 guys on BGP who could tell me who he is without looking up the name. And even then I'm pretty certain, no one else would recognize him as a hero. Who you're heroes are, are as much about your circumstance in life and where you're from. I'm guessing there are no transgender persons on this board. there are however many that have been affected cancer or involved with the military. It's easy to see why so many feel Hill and Galloway are so much more deserving. But just because those two fit your narrative and circumstance in life, don't ignore, put down or assume that the thoughts and feelings of those who do recognize Jenner as a hero, as not important or non existent. And that last point is what transgendered people have had to face and go through their entire lives, and why what Jenner did is more courageous than many would like to think.

Once again, I think you're making assumptions and insinuations that just aren't there. No one is ignoring anything. It's a message board where people come to give their opinions. Making a choice to change your gender is no where near as heroic or courageous an act as doing what Hill did, IMO. I do feel that awarding the award to her over someone such as Hill who is (IMO) so obviously more deserving lessens the award. That's not a knock on her, or the transgender community, it's more an indication of just how courageous and inspirational Lauren Hill was. Again, IMO.

Once again, I think you're making assumptions and insinuations that just aren't there. No one is ignoring anything. It's a message board where people come to give their opinions. Making a choice to change your gender is no where near as heroic or courageous an act as doing what Hill did, IMO. I do feel that awarding the award to her over someone such as Hill who is (IMO) so obviously more deserving lessens the award. That's not a knock on her, or the transgender community, it's more an indication of just how courageous and inspirational Lauren Hill was. Again, IMO.

I think you're making assumptions about my assumptions;) I'm only saying (as a couple others have), whether you believe Jenner is a hero or not largely depends on your life circumstance. It's completely fine to have the opinion that there are more deserving people. I'm only saying that there are people who DO consider Jenner a hero and deserving of this award. And for some to react so vehemently and with such disapproval (I'm not saying you specifically) discounts their thoughts and feelings. Bottom line, he is a hero to some, if not many. And that makes him deserving of the award. No biggie.

List of recipients[edit]

Year

Recipients

1993 Jim Valvano (Award Video and Speech)

1994 Steve Palermo

1995 Howard Cosell

1996 Loretta Claiborne

1997 Muhammad Ali

1998 Dean Smith

1999 Billie Jean King

2000 Dave Sanders (posthumously)

2001 Cathy Freeman

2002 Todd Beamer, Mark Bingham, Tom Burnett, and Jeremy Glick (posthumously)[1]

2003 Pat Tillman and Kevin Tillman[2]

2004 George Weah[3][4]

2005 Emmanuel Ofosu Yeboah and Jim MacLaren

2006 Roia Ahmad and Shamila Kohestani

2007 Trevor Ringland and David Cullen from Peace Players International

2008 Tommie Smith and John Carlos

2009 Nelson Mandela

2010 Family of Ed Thomas

2011 Dewey Bozella

2012 Pat Summitt (Award Video and Speech)

2013 Robin Roberts

2014 Michael Sam

2015 Caitlyn Jenner

If they are only going to give out ONE award per year then I think most believe the most deserving person should be honored. That is not to say several candidates may be worthy to some degree, but I think most people are of the opinion that Jenner is not the most deserving candidate. Then again it is not a fan voted award so if you do not like the selection there is only so much you can do.

Everyone has different ideas of what a hero is and I'm sure there are people questioning why their person isn't getting the award over Jenner or Hill. I can't recall what Howard Cosell would have done to earn it in 1995.

BTW - does anyone on this board actually know a transgendered person?

Billie Jean King is on the list of past receipients. Not sure why anyone objects to C Jenner. I would hazard a guess that those who cast votes felt she met the criteria outlined above.

As has been said by several already, everyone has their own criteria. I don't see how anyone can definitively say someone nominated DOESN'T deserve the award.

I personally could see any of the nominees as deserving. Certainly would make casting a vote difficult.

Everyone has different ideas of what a hero is and I'm sure there are people questioning why their person isn't getting the award over Jenner or Hill. I can't recall what Howard Cosell would have done to earn it in 1995.

Yes. I actually hired one as a Guest Service Agent when I worked at Holiday Inn back in the late 90's. One of the most professional on my staff. She was really was great at handling irate guestss. Calm, cool and collected.

I thought Britney Griner was the first transgender

As for Jenner he is no long ran athlete.

Also he will and should be charged for murder also in the textin crash he was in a yr ago.

As for Jenner, look between your legs and act like what you are, God don't make mistakes.

You have become a total joke

Trinity has a transgender alum. (S)he's very active in the alumni association.