How do such large companies miss so badly? ESPN?? Come on.

mexitucky

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the looks of the last 3 it's pathetic

Maybe they should give it to Tim Tebow for standing up for his belief in the face of criticism from many.

I would argue that he is a great candidate for the award. No one gets more grief than he does.

If Jenner has been preparing his/her "whole life for this" then why did it take so long? Has transgender not been accepted (if not encouraged, nowadays) for at least a few years now?

Perhaps my head is in the sand or the community I live in is just different than the rest of the world, but from what I've seen on social media sites anybody who does not accept transgenders is labelled immediately and loses all their credibility. If I were to become a transgender, I feel as if I would have no problem coming out , needing no courage, since (it seems to me) the majority of people are supportive these days. I know that it is much easier said than done, and I know I'll never find out for myself.

If Jenner has been preparing his/her "whole life for this" then why did it take so long? Has transgender not been accepted (if not encouraged, nowadays) for at least a few years now?

Perhaps my head is in the sand or the community I live in is just different than the rest of the world, but from what I've seen on social media sites anybody who does not accept transgenders is labelled immediately and loses all their credibility. If I were to become a transgender, I feel as if I would have no problem coming out , needing no courage, since (it seems to me) the majority of people are supportive these days. I know that it is much easier said than done, and I know I'll never find out for myself.

Maybe they should give it to Tim Tebow for standing up for his belief in the face of criticism from many.

I haven't even heard of a few of the winners. And while there are some very big, important names on the list of past winners, many aren't. Again, I wasn't aware that this many people really cared about the ESPY's.

As far as Tebow....he's certainly fits much of the criteria, especially the inspiration to others part. I still though don't think he got bashed as much for his beliefs..he gets bashed because he's a lousy QB. Being a great guy doesn't make you a great QB. Tebow supporters constantly get that mixed up. He was a third string QB who was one of the most popular players in the league. People over exaggerate the amount of true Tebow "hate". You don't sell millions of jerseys because people hate you.

Why did it take so long? I would suspect that answer is different for every person who faces such a decision. I can think of dozens of reasons without much effort that it would "take so long".

And as is in evidence on this board, the majority are not accepting. And don't confuse accepting with supportive.

Why did it take so long? I would suspect that answer is different for every person who faces such a decision. I can think of dozens of reasons without much effort that it would "take so long".

I guess, but all I meant was Jenner has had the money for the surgery for years and has had the publicity for years (since some say it is a publicity/attention stunt -- I disagree).

And as is in evidence on this board, the majority are not accepting. And don't confuse accepting with supportive.

Regrding the bolded, I really meant more on social media - which may not be a telltale sign because the people I follow may not be an accurate representation of the rest of the world/country. I just think of it in terms of the response to Drake Bell's tweet. He said "I'm still going to call him Bruce..." and people began to BASH him.

Excellent point on accepting vs supporting, although I'd say (again, the people I follow on social media) the majority of posts say things like "How brave of Caitlyn!" or "Caitlyn Jenner is a hero; look how pretty and comfortable she looks!" JMO

I guess, but all I meant was Jenner has had the money for the surgery for years and has had the publicity for years (since some say it is a publicity/attention stunt -- I disagree).

Regrding the bolded, I really meant more on social media - which may not be a telltale sign because the people I follow may not be an accurate representation of the rest of the world/country. I just think of it in terms of the response to Drake Bell's tweet. He said "I'm still going to call him Bruce..." and people began to BASH him.

Excellent point on accepting vs supporting, although I'd say (again, the people I follow on social media) the majority of posts say things like "How brave of Caitlyn!" or "Caitlyn Jenner is a hero; look how pretty and comfortable she looks!" JMO

Try to put yourself in his shoes...he has tried his whole life to live as society sees him, despite struggling with feeling he is not true to himself. No one just wakes.up one day aND decides they want to be the opposite gender, or even are attracted to the same gender. And transgender isn't the same as gay.

Try to put yourself in his shoes...he has tried his whole life to live as society sees him' date=' despite struggling with feeling he is not true to himself. No one just wakes.up one day aND decides they want to be the opposite gender, or even are attracted to the same gender. And transgender isn't the same as gay.[/quote']

Agreed. Society thinks of him as the World's Greatest Athlete! Olympic Gold Medallist. Only a real man can win a decathlon, right?

Agreed. Society thinks of him as the World's Greatest Athlete! Olympic Gold Medallist. Only a real man can win a decathlon, right?

Win? Good lord. I consider myself a real man, and I'm fairly confident I couldn't even finish one.

Billie Jean King is on the list of past receipients. Not sure why anyone objects to C Jenner. I would hazard a guess that those who cast votes felt she met the criteria outlined above.

As has been said by several already, everyone has their own criteria. I don't see how anyone can definitively say someone nominated DOESN'T deserve the award.

I personally could see any of the nominees as deserving. Certainly would make casting a vote difficult.

Again, Jenner had had the time and money to do this for a long time. There will be less ramifications for Jenner ' s change than there would be for the athlete who does this while competing in a small community. Those Transgenders show courage. If we want to say that we award it in that criteria than pick a better person.

Try to put yourself in his shoes...he has tried his whole life to live as society sees him, despite struggling with feeling he is not true to himself. No one just wakes.up one day aND decides they want to be the opposite gender, or even are attracted to the same gender. And transgender isn't the same as gay.

This person's moral and ethical compass is way different than mine. The Kardashian show showed that. Again, there are more deserving people than this particular person.

I honestly don't care about the award at all. I doubt many people can name previous winners of the Arthur Ashe award without using our good friend Google so I amazed anyone really cares about the award at all. I don't care if Bruce gets the award or if they change their minds and give it to Lauren.

I will say this though......

If you think Bruce doesn't have courage then you are being incredibly close minded for whatever reason that may be. For all men go ask your male friends if they would do what he did. I'm thinking the percentage of "hell nah I ain't doing that" response will be in the upper 99% range. It's one thing to go from a man to a woman without being a known person but he is Bruce freaking Jenner. He was THE MAN in the 70s. What he is doing now is equivalent to MJ becoming a woman in twenty years. Like it or not this is a big deal and whether he is doing for a reality show or whatever reason it still takes courage to do what he did with the name and persona that he has. Now add to the fact that the numbers show that 41% of all suicides are by transgenders then maybe it is a little easier to see why it takes courage to do what Bruce has done. I get the outrage of Bruce getting it over Lauren Hill but to say Bruce's actions aren't courageous regardless of his motivation is short sighted and close minded.

I couldn't really care less about Jenner or the Espys. However, I get sick of the political correctness crowd that says if I don't celebrate Jenner in his coming out that I am somehow a bigot. I simply don't care whether Jenner sees himself as a man or woman. I don't think he deserves any awards for making this choice though. I could say I will boycott the Espys because of this decision by ESPN but I was not going to watch it anyway.

This will probably help ratings for the Espys though. A lot of people will tune in to see Jenner.

I would argue that he is a great candidate for the award. No one gets more grief than he does.

Couldn't agree more. And you won't find many people who despises Tebow more than myself.

And because I can't resist......Tebow should get the award for having the courage to even try to play in the NFL again.