How do such large companies miss so badly? ESPN?? Come on.

mexitucky

Here's how ESPN describes what the award is meant to represent.

The Ashe Award is one of the most prestigious in sports. Recipients reflect the spirit of Arthur Ashe, possessing strength in the face of adversity, courage in the face of peril and the willingness to stand up for their beliefs no matter what the cost. The award is inspired by the life that Ashe lived, using his fame and stature to advocate for human rights, although, at the time, those positions may have been unpopular and were often controversial. From speaking out against apartheid in South Africa to revealing to the world his struggle with AIDS, Ashe never backed away from a difficult issue, even though doing so would have been easier. Winners of the Ashe Award strive to carry on Ashe’s legacy in their own lives – – inspired by those who do so each day.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure one could, but IMO they'd be completely wrong.

Listed attributes:

Strength in face of adversity

Courage in the face of peril

Willingness to stand up for beliefs no matter what the cost

Advocating for human rights (even if unpopular or controversial)

Never backing away from a difficult issue even though it would have been easier

So give me your scorecard using their criteria.

Listed attributes:

Strength in face of adversity

Courage in the face of peril

Willingness to stand up for beliefs no matter what the cost

Advocating for human rights (even if unpopular or controversial)

Never backing away from a difficult issue even though it would have been easier

So give me your scorecard using their criteria.

I don't think anyone is going to objectively go by that list. Even though I'd dare say Jenner takes it in every category except one.

I honestly don't care who gets the award or any award, really. Doesn't matter to me. I just think people are way over reacting to this one. Kind of how they did last year.

I don't think anyone is going to objectively go by that list. Even though I'd dare say Jenner takes it in every category except one.

I honestly don't care who gets the award or any award, really. Doesn't matter to me. I just think people are way over reacting to this one. Kind of how they did last year.

I think we are pretty close in our thoughts.

I think some are using great deeds as the basis which does not seem to be a huge part of the criteria ESPN uses.

I have thought about the Caitlyn Jenner transformation in the last day. I respect Bruce for following his heart and making the changes in his life that would make him happy. I respect his honesty about it. I greatly respect that he is doing this at age 65 and just not cashing in his chips for the rest of his life.

However, I don't think any of that deserves a national award.

One could make the argument that Lauren does not meet the criteria any more or less than Jenner.

What is Jenner openly standing up for? What LBGT groups did Jenner join prior to the announcement of the transformation? What has Jenner done to promote understanding besides giving an interview and appearing on the cover of a magazine. As I said earlier, if they want to go the transgender route, find someone w/ boots on the ground.