Does Lebron James have to......

4 points a game over a timespan of roughly 900 games? Yeah, it does. I discussed it last fall when Kobe was closing in on Jordan, but without the time off, Jordan almost certainly finishes as the all-time leading scorer in the NBA. He'd have had to break down somewhere for it not to have happened.

Minus the last two years, Jordan played 19 more games than Lebron has at this point. Jordan had 29,277 points at that point (31.5 PPG) compared to Lebron's 24,913 (27.3 PPG). That's not a small difference. Even with the last two years, the gap between Jordan and Wilt (who are tied for first in per game average) and Lebron (3rd) is the same as from Lebron to Kareem, who is in 14th. If you removed the two Wizard seasons, the gap would be the same between 1 & 3 as between 3 & in between 17 and 18. It's sizable. Lebron is one of the greatest scorers of all-time, but Jordan was significantly better in that category.

MJ is the greatest scorer ever. I don't think that is debatable.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what is most remarkable about him IMO. He's just a freak.

UKMF has summarized my feelings pretty well. As much as I hate his guts, Jordan is the best I've ever seen. But LeBron is very, very close and I can see him surpassing Jordan in the very near future.

Same here.

I was wrong on the %. LBJ has a higher 2pt (.535 and 3pt .342) than MJ. However MJ has the higher total because took less than half the 3's that LBJ has taken.

Jorden also attempted 3.5 more shots a game. LBJ just needs to shoot more :D

That's been Lebron's problem his whole career. He needs to shoot more. :lol2:

That is a huge difference. In fairness, I always felt LeBron could average more if he wanted, but he is (admirably) more concerned with distributing the ball. MJ was able to dominate from the perimeter because he could score from there. LeBron is able to dominate from the perimeter because he can get to the rim from therel. FT% is a key stat as well in the NBA game. Not sure what the disparity is, but LeBron has never been that great from the line. Their games really aren't that comparable. While Jordan is a better scorer and shooter, you can easily argue the offensive package of LeBron far exceeds that of MJ.

At what stage of Jordan's career? You were very general there. Pre '91, Jordan was considered a more athletic DWayde. Make him shoot from the permeter, don't let him get to the rim. '91-93 are the greatest 3 years that any NBA player can ever have, period. It almost all completely came together. 96-98 Jordan completely reinvents his offensive game. He develops the nastiest fade away ever....to the point that that is almost his lasting image. Jordan had it all. He becomes one of the best post scorers in bball. He was the strongest, quickest, most explosive 2 ever. Then he became the smartest. Both are All NBA defenders. I just don't see LeBron stepping over the mental line that it would take to take Jordan.

At what stage of Jordan's career? You were very general there. Pre '91, Jordan was considered a more athletic DWayde. Make him shoot from the permeter, don't let him get to the rim. '91-93 are the greatest 3 years that any NBA player can ever have, period. It almost all completely came together. 96-98 Jordan completely reinvents his offensive game. He develops the nastiest fade away ever....to the point that that is almost his lasting image. Jordan had it all. He becomes one of the best post scorers in bball. He was the strongest, quickest, most explosive 2 ever. Then he became the smartest. Both are All NBA defenders. I just don't see LeBron stepping over the mental line that it would take to take Jordan.

I wish I could like this more than once.

Larry Bird had the nastiest fadeaway ever.

But what about assists, rebounds, and everything else? The difference in ppg is pretty significant as is double the amount of championships. Other than that still pretty close.

Jordan went for 6+ assists and rebounds in the playoffs. He doesn't get enough credit for those two stats.

This is true. I do agree that his all around game doesn't get the same credit as folks like Magic, Lebron and others.

He almost averaged a block a game also. His stat line would normally be 32pts, 6rbs, 5assists, 2 steals, 1 block. A LeBron stat line is normally 27pts, 7 rb, 7 assists, 2 steals, 1 block.

Jordan actually blocked more shots, but not by much. He also averaged 1.2 TO's LESS per game than LeBron. LeBron is a MUCH better clutch shooter than he is given credit for.

Pretty even stat lines. Who would you prefer to have in Game 7? To me, that tells you who you feel is the GOAT.

He almost averaged a block a game also. His stat line would normally be 32pts, 6rbs, 5assists, 2 steals, 1 block. A LeBron stat line is normally 27pts, 7 rb, 7 assists, 2 steals, 1 block.

Jordan actually blocked more shots, but not by much. He also averaged 1.2 TO's LESS per game than LeBron. LeBron is a MUCH better clutch shooter than he is given credit for.

Pretty even stat lines. Who would you prefer to have in Game 7? To me, that tells you who you feel is the GOAT.

Trick question. Jordan would never allow a series to go to a game 7 :D

My argument for Lebron is based on the premise that he will be the GOAT one day and if he manages to win the title this year he takes a huge step closer to being the GOAT.