Michael Brown's Family Will File A Lawsuit

Clyde

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are asking for only 75K? What's the point of filing a lawsuit for 75K? This is as weird as Erica Kinsman suing Jameis Winston for 15K.

If I had to guess, they're asking for at least $75K. A court's jurisdiction can depend on the amount in controversy. I'm guessing this was filed in federal court and one of the jurisdictional requirements is that the amount in controversy exceeds $75K...hence the number.

Wouldn't his Union do that? Either that or if he didn't want the attorney they were offering, he could get one on his own.

I know it's unfortunate for Wilson, but there are also plenty of people who are falsely accused of things that eventually/inevitably have to pay for their own attorney-- they're called citizens.

And in a nut shell that's one of the big problems with our system and why in this instance we should follow England's lead and institute loser pays.

It is absurd that people can be sued and win only to be wiped out by the legal fees they incurred.

The only people who benefit from the current system are the attorney's, they're the only one that can't lose.

How much have people assailed the medical system that has situations where people lose their life savings battling an illness?

Why is it any less objectionable that they should lose everything battling a lawsuit?

If they get a settlement I am sure they will seriously scrutinize some growth stock mutual funds (maybe even some foreign funds), and max out their Roth IRAs (assuming each family member had an earned income of at least $5500 this year).

This case always riles me. There are legitimate cases out there where innocent people have been harassed/injured/even killed by officers. But not here. For some reason our society wanted to make this criminal/thug the poster child for police "racism". Several minority witnesses testified that Brown attacked the cop in his car, started to leave the scene, disobeyed officer's commands, then charged the officer and was shot. I hate whenever a life is lost, but like grandma always said, you gotta lie in the bed you make.

And in a nut shell that's one of the big problems with our system and why in this instance we should follow England's lead and institute loser pays.

It is absurd that people can be sued and win only to be wiped out by the legal fees they incurred.

The only people who benefit from the current system are the attorney's, they're the only one that can't lose.

How much have people assailed the medical system that has situations where people lose their life savings battling an illness?

Why is it any less objectionable that they should lose everything battling a lawsuit?

Agree with all but that. Insurance companies seem to be doing pretty well for themselves too, as are people with frivolous suits who are able to game the system.

Wouldn't his Union do that? Either that or if he didn't want the attorney they were offering, he could get one on his own.

I know it's unfortunate for Wilson, but there are also plenty of people who are falsely accused of things that eventually/inevitably have to pay for their own attorney-- they're called citizens.

Yeah, but this whole situation arose as he was doing his job working for the city so I think the city should back him, especially since he was cleared by the grand jury of any wrong doing. I would think the union would pay his legal fees but since he no longer works for the PD (forced to resign by this whole mess), I wonder if they will still back him.

Yeah, but this whole situation arose as he was doing his job working for the city so I think the city should back him, especially since he was cleared by the grand jury of any wrong doing. I would think the union would pay his legal fees but since he no longer works for the PD (forced to resign by this whole mess), I wonder if they will still back him.

It works both ways. Here's a guy with a nice, baseless racial discrimination suit:

City settles with officer accused of tripping students

If his union doesn't back him, I'm sure the guy can make a "GoFundMe" account or something like that and he'll more than have his costs covered. If nothing else, there'll probably be a lawyer accept it at a discount so that their name is out there as his lawyer and they hope to get more business from it.

I have no idea what the video with the officer tripping the students has to do with anything in this thread...

You are right about the GoFundMe account. If word gets out he needs one, it will be one of the most contributed to GoFundMe accounts ever...and rightfully so.

I have no idea what the video with the officer tripping the students has to do with anything in this thread...

You are right about the GoFundMe account. If word gets out he needs one, it will be one of the most contributed to GoFundMe accounts ever...and rightfully so.

Officer alleged racial discrimination in his suit, union's people had to represent him and they probably agreed to reduce the fine as a way of just making it go away. Here, instead of an officer with a frivilous claim that's easier to settle, it's a citizen alleging one.

I looked up some more on the Darren Wilson stuff, I would imagine that the majority of the claims, given the way that it's worded, are ones where the City will be defending itself against them as well. Looked like they were going for supervision and stuff like that which would ultimately fall back on the city. I really doubt that he's going to need some heavy hitter to defend him, as the City would do the heavy lifting if it went to trial. Most likely is a settlement that admits no wrongdoing on their part and some non-disclosure clauses to keep it out of the news from now on.

Edited by JokersWild24

• 1 year later...

Link to admissions by Offc Wilson in the federal lawsuit.

He said Brown never reached for Offc Wilson's weapon.

Offc Wilson was not aware of a weapon on Brown.

http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/documents/national/us-district-court-document-including-officer-darren-wilsons-list-of-admissions/2371/

Note: These questions were all asked from Brown's side so there are facts missing. However, the "he reached for his gun" claim was false per Offc Wilson.

Offc Wilson told the DOJ during their investigation that Brown did reach for the gun.

Edited by Clyde