Covington Catholic versus Highlands Rivalry

Jack of all Trades

I think the rivalry that interests people is football. I don't think

of any of the other sports as a rivalry.

Football is obviously the biggest, but when my son was playing basketball, I can tell you the Highlands game was the one that they hated to lose the most (aside from district, region etc.) I can also tell you that at halftime of a JV game at highlands we could all hear the highlands coach yelling at his team, while we were in line at the concession stand. Let's just say it was obvious he was telling his team that Cov Cath was the one team he did not want to lose too. I also think that some of the extracurriculars which have taken place in the parking lots after the games between these two schools demonstrates the rivalry is there as well, albeit not as big as with Football.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I recall, Lorenzen went to St. Pius...a traditional CCH feeder. That'll leave a mark.

Kues was going to be the QB at CCH. Lorenzen's Dad married a woman from Ft. Thomas while we were in middle school and lived in Ft. Thomas. It made sense.

Kues seemed to do ok, I mean he did win the '97 state title. That's as many as Lorenzen won as a starter.

From the 1st day Mueller started in the spring of 94 at HHS his whole agenda was to beat Covcath. He never let that change for the 20 something years he was coaching.

That, and winning state, going undefeated and being nationally ranked. Not sure the rank of priority.

From the 1st day Mueller started in the spring of 94 at HHS his whole agenda was to beat Covcath. He never let that change for the 20 something years he was coaching.

When my son played I was simply amazed at the focus on the game. I get that everything else grew from success against CCH each year but it still was something to behold.

When the emphasis of Beating CovCath in Football was the main focus of conversation in the Hiring process back in 1994, that's a Rivalry! I was told that it was strongly discussed to Dale Mueller when he was being interviewed for the job. That's crazy! "We don't care if you lose every game of the year, you just don't lose to CovCath" I'm a firm believer that when Dale left that meeting he knew what his job entailed to keep his job!

JOAT, make sure your daughter describes the part of cultural fabric that is HHS football in Ft.Thomas, whereas CCH uses football to pass time in the Fall to get to Bball season. Go Norse!

Part B of your statement is a result of part A of your statement.

JOAT, make sure your daughter describes the part of cultural fabric that is HHS football in Ft.Thomas, whereas CCH uses football to pass time in the Fall to get to Bball season. Go Norse!

She has actually done a pretty good job in what she has written so far. It is obviously a little biased to Highlands because she went to school there, but she has done a pretty good job trying to include relevant CovCath facts as well. The problem she seems to be having is finding a lot of historical information about CovCath. Any information that people can pass along would be helpful and appreciated very much. Paper is due on Tuesday and professor has given her a "thumbs up" for what she has done so far.

JOAT, CovCath.org has detailed history of the school . . . not sure how much can be used for rivalry comparison sakes though. I wonder how much the Kenton v. Campbell Co. relationship plays a part in the grand scheme.

Another thought, there are notable examples of kids leaving CCH territory for HHS (Maile, Draud, Lorenzon, Mitchell, Frisk, etc.). Are there any notables going the opposite direction ???

I bet the chess team matches and bowling matches get pretty heated...

Funny you say that, because in all seriousness the only bowling match I went to in my 4 years at CCH was against Highlands, and the only academic team match I went to was against Highlands as well. :) :laugh:

JOAT, CovCath.org has detailed history of the school . . . not sure how much can be used for rivalry comparison sakes though. I wonder how much the Kenton v. Campbell Co. relationship plays a part in the grand scheme.

Another thought, there are notable examples of kids leaving CCH territory for HHS (Maile, Draud, Lorenzon, Mitchell, Frisk, etc.). Are there any notables going the opposite direction ???

History:

Covington Catholic High School: History