Covington Catholic 2015

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone explain to me why a high school team would run a 3-man front? Obviously if your opponent is extremely pass heavy, you would employ a three man...but why would that be your base defense in high school? Has the game changed that much?

Depending on the size of your team it has its disadvantages and advantages. I don't like them unless you are shading. I saw a couple of teams w/ their ends outside shade of the tackles on running downs, or at least downs with a 50/50 chance due to distance. Not a fan of that at all.

If a team has fast and athletic d-linemen and they have phenomenal line backers...or if your opponent efficiently runs the spread I get it. Try and overwhelm the o-line with stunts and gap shooting. This style requires intense discipline and coaching. I still think high school football is all about execution and simplicity normally is best for that.

I'm not advocating archaic schemes either, just don't understand the constant push to complicate things at the high school level when a teams talent level does not warrant it.

If a team has fast and athletic d-linemen and they have phenomenal line backers...or if your opponent efficiently runs the spread I get it. Try and overwhelm the o-line with stunts and gap shooting. This style requires intense discipline and coaching. I still think high school football is all about execution and simplicity normally is best for that.

I'm not advocating archaic schemes either, just don't understand the constant push to complicate things at the high school level when a teams talent level does not warrant it.

One thing that CovCath has on it's side in a 3 man front is size to take on two blockers, so they could play a fundamentally sound version of it as a base D. They don't have to get extravagant to make it work. In truth, though, CovCath can run any defense they want, but if they continue to miss as many tackles as I've seen them miss over the past 4 seasons it won't matter. They HAVE to get better there.

Northwestern and UK have offered the 2017 QB Sean Clifford.

In addition there is a JR lineman named Matt Bockhorst who has offers from UL, Vandy, UC, Northwestern and a few others. He recently visited Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Michigan State.

Jr QB Sean Clifford committed to Penn State.

Which games do we see as "must win" games for the Colonels this year?

Imvho, Ryle is a must win.

I see the games the fans expect CCH to win as must wins - Grant Co., Dixie, Beechwood, maybe Lex Cath since they are 3A. The other games - the fans will be ok if CCH wins their share of them. The first year coach gets cut some slack as long as they are competitive. Year two, they all will be must wins including Highlands.

Can someone explain to me why a high school team would run a 3-man front? Obviously if your opponent is extremely pass heavy, you would employ a three man...but why would that be your base defense in high school? Has the game changed that much?

Yes, the high school game has become much more pass focused with many teams using the spread or something similar. There are very few totally run focused offenses.

So where are the Blueboys practicing? I'm guessing they are two weeks away from using their new field. I saw the soccer team working out on NDA's field the other night.! Is the football team there?

Huge grass field behind the church most likely.