Covington Catholic 2015

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently the defense is going to be legit this year. The offense should be interesting. I've heard the quarterbacks are taking to the run and shoot rather quickly, but it will remain undetermined until they are game tested. The schedule is pretty ridiculous but as it has always been said, "in order to be the man...you have to beat the man"....and we all know who that "man" is.

I've been hearing that the D-line is going to be rock solid, and pretty deep.

How is the field progressing?

I was there today. The old turf is still there but they look to be almost done with the shell to lay the old turf.

The good news to report is that the Chick-fil-A and also the Skyline are almost complete and operational and I heard the Budweiser kiosk is progressing nicely. The shell for the Jeff Ruby's that is half in the Basketball gym and half in the football area is almost framed.

Really? Does Dixie not return a kicker that has been doing it since he was a frosh?

Not sure. But what I know is that if a kicker is put in the same sentence as Evan Talkers, he is a good one. I've been told Matt Kloska has one incredible leg and 40 yards are nothing to him. It's a nice weapon to have and best yet, he will on be a junior.

Pretty tough schedule, but the defense should keep them in games. They'll be pretty good up front with Steins, Shields and Galvin. The second level has some really good players with Shelton at linebacker and Pitzer at outside linebacker/safety.

The only spot I'm concerned about is the second corner opposite of Best. However, the talent is there, let's see if the defensive staff is up to the challenge.

Just because experienced players are returning, it doesn't guarantee success. I thought Covington Catholic's defensive line was a weakness last year. Perhaps the returning players worked hard in the off season and the experience and hard work will make them better.

Just because experienced players are returning, it doesn't guarantee success. I thought Covington Catholic's defensive line was a weakness last year. Perhaps the returning players worked hard in the off season and the experience and hard work will make them better.

I've watched a lot of CCH football at multiple levels over the last few years and the defensive line had the same issues regardless of age group. I believe the perceived weakness of the defensive line had nothing to do with talent, they had and still have the talent. I believe the main issue was their defensive formation. It's my understanding the previous coaching staff required all teams from the top down to run a 3-5 defense. If everyone in the league ran a wide open spread offense that may have been a good defense to run, reality is they don't. This is high school football and at this level more than any you have to be able to do two things really well to be successful and that is run the ball and stop the run. Highlands and Trinity do these things really well hence part of the reason for their success. The 3-5 defense gives your opponent excellent blocking angles on the 3 down linemen and unless you have absolute beasts at those positions it makes it very easy for teams to use 1-on-1 blocking schemes. This frees up the rest of the blockers to attack the 2nd and 3rd levels of the defense which puts way too much pressure on the LB's in running situations. This only became worse IMO as CCH played better more physical teams. They attempted to help the situation with blitz and stunt packages which worked in some situations but if the opponent was well-coached and remained disciplined in their blocking assignments the effect was minimal. From what I saw in spring ball much of this is going to change and I believe for the better. This coaching staff starting at the top really seems to get it and I'm excited to see how they progress this season and into the future.

^Pick any defense and I could use the exact same words you used to defeat the 3 front. I also, saw them go to a true 4 front at times last year.

My point exactly, the 3 front was much of the issue. The 4 front helped but the 3 front was the base defense taught and used at all levels.

My point exactly, the 3 front was much of the issue. The 4 front helped but the 3 front was the base defense taught and used at all levels.

I am saying that all the ways you described to beat the 3 front, I could use when explaining how to beat a 4 front.

Can someone explain to me why a high school team would run a 3-man front? Obviously if your opponent is extremely pass heavy, you would employ a three man...but why would that be your base defense in high school? Has the game changed that much?

Can someone explain to me why a high school team would run a 3-man front? Obviously if your opponent is extremely pass heavy, you would employ a three man...but why would that be your base defense in high school? Has the game changed that much?

SK and Highlands run a 3 man front. Works pretty good for them.

It worked fine for CCH in 2005 and 2006, but that's probably the exception. Those years they were led by stout line backers like Sam Flynn and Sean McGee. Those types of animals don't come around too often.