Covington Catholic 2015

Curious to know if this schedule was assembled with Wirth's input or Eviston. Also wondering why there are so many teams from Ohio. Would someone like SK and/or Cooper be a better game for CovCath than Sycamore and St. Francis DeSales? Get the St. Xavier game since it is part of the Crossdown Showdown. Seems on paper like a pretty tough schedule for a new coach.

They should absolutely be able to compete / beat Sycamore. St. Francis DeSales has some years where they are great, but they are a smaller school so you never know. St. Xavier is a big-time game and will be played in front of a huge crowd, so I get that one as well.

Honestly, going down to Lexington is the one game that jumps out at me as odd after two Ohio roadies and the away tilt with a Beechwood team you owe.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should absolutely be able to compete / beat Sycamore. St. Francis DeSales has some years where they are great, but they are a smaller school so you never know. St. Xavier is a big-time game and will be played in front of a huge crowd, so I get that one as well.

Honestly, going down to Lexington is the one game that jumps out at me as odd after two Ohio roadies and the away tilt with a Beechwood team you owe.

I can understand where it might seem odd on the surface. But after so many years of being together in 4A and only playing each other come playoff time, I can see where the two would want to make this game happen during the regular season now that they have moved to different classifications.

Pretty tough schedule, but the defense should keep them in games. They'll be pretty good up front with Steins, Shields and Galvin. The second level has some really good players with Shelton at linebacker and Pitzer at outside linebacker/safety.

The only spot I'm concerned about is the second corner opposite of Best. However, the talent is there, let's see if the defensive staff is up to the challenge.

The St X game could get ugly execution wise. St X isn't going to hang 40 plus bc they never seem to, but they may force 4 plus turnovers. Eddie's O takes time for the QB to adjust to ball fakes and pitches. Once the QB and backs get the hang of it it will be fun for the Colonel faithful to watch. It will take more than 2 games to get to that point.

Pretty tough schedule, but the defense should keep them in games. They'll be pretty good up front with Steins, Shields and Galvin. The second level has some really good players with Shelton at linebacker and Pitzer at outside linebacker/safety.

The only spot I'm concerned about is the second corner opposite of Best. However, the talent is there, let's see if the defensive staff is up to the challenge.

Sam Beiting is a phenomenal coach. I think the secondary will come down to execution and not instruction.

The St X game could get ugly execution wise. St X isn't going to hang 40 plus bc they never seem to, but they may force 4 plus turnovers. Eddie's O takes time for the QB to adjust to ball fakes and pitches. Once the QB and backs get the hang of it it will be fun for the Colonel faithful to watch. It will take more than 2 games to get to that point.

Could be a tough way to start if the varsity QB is a soph.

A lot of people seem to be counting out this defense and only focusing on the Colonel offense this year,with good reason, because of a offensive minded head coach. But as much of you recall, the blue boys offense last year was highly anticipated and talked about yet this defense kept the Colonels in A LOT of games last year.

Obviously many positions need to be filled on both sides of the ball with departing seniors but this defense, IMO, looks to be one of the top defenses in the class if not the state this year.

The box for this Colonel defense looks to be the staple of the defense. With Steins and Sheilds up front, who are both returning starters from a year ago.

Shelton and Sammons and/or Timmerman at the linebacker position. Hearing that Shelton is starting to be getting a lot of interest and looks from quite a handful of schools which is impressive considering he is only a junior to be.

In the secondary, Pitzer - also getting some interest and looks from some schools. Thiel, Butler, and best look to staple the secondary.

This defense is an athletic group of kids and hardworking to say the least. I think this defense will suprise a few people regardless of what type of scheme they run. Looking forward to a great year!!

When they play St X they'll be going up against 2 TEs who will play D1 including a kid going to Michigan State. They will also play a QB who was offered by Missouri, WVU, and others.

Northwestern and UK have offered the 2017 QB Sean Clifford.

In addition there is a JR lineman named Matt Bockhorst who has offers from UL, Vandy, UC, Northwestern and a few others. He recently visited Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Michigan State.

Edited by Clyde