Who is going to be the best quarterback in the state next year??

rocktalk

In SEKY, the 3 QB's to watch will be:

Clint Cashen (Corbin)

Ricky Bowling (South Laurel)

Thomas Frazier (Williamsburg)

Ross Deaton (Somerset)

Clay County's young QB (I am sorry, but I can't recall his name temporarily, but he was very solid last year as a frosh I believe)

Clay's young QB is Zach Lewis, and yes, he will be a Soph next year.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep an eye on the junior Jay Draper of Highlands this year. A QB is only as effective as his line allows...and HHS has an experienced line coming back. Jay is very knowledgable and VERY accurate. Strong arm allows him to make all the throws. Only thing that will hurtt him is the STRONG running game of the Birds. (misspelled on purpose!). All Jay will do is "just win, baybeee!"

Keep an eye on the junior Jay Draper of Highlands this year. A QB is only as effective as his line allows...and HHS has an experienced line coming back. Jay is very knowledgable and VERY accurate. Strong arm allows him to make all the throws. Only thing that will hurtt him is the STRONG running game of the Birds. (misspelled on purpose!). All Jay will do is "just win, baybeee!"

Agreed. Sparky showed a strong arm and command of the offense. Looked to me all that needed to be worked on was a timing issue with the recievers. Jay was throwing the deep ball well as his targets were breaking open. On a couple of occasions the recievers seemed to slow as they turned to look for the ball. Repition of route running over the summer will solve that. One thing Draper showed some flashes of that I have not seen from him previously, was some craftiness while running the ball. He seemed to tuck it and run at very opportune times picking up nice gains. Also thought Jake Turner did a very good job with the 2s. Also agree that running attack may be one of the best in the state, if they choose to go in that direction.:ylsuper:

Agreed. Sparky showed a strong arm and command of the offense. Looked to me all that needed to be worked on was a timing issue with the recievers. Jay was throwing the deep ball well as his targets were breaking open. On a couple of occasions the recievers seemed to slow as they turned to look for the ball. Repition of route running over the summer will solve that. One thing Draper showed some flashes of that I have not seen from him previously, was some craftiness while running the ball. He seemed to tuck it and run at very opportune times picking up nice gains. Also thought Jake Turner did a very good job with the 2s. Also agree that running attack may be one of the best in the state, if they choose to go in that direction.:ylsuper:

I think Dale felt going into spring ball that we'd have a predominate running offense next year. After watching spring ball, my guess is that we will be 50/50 on offense. Draper looked very good. And Cecil still hasn't had the opportunity to show his stuff due to a nagging injury, that seems to have been solved. Any concern about Highlands replacing their qb, seems to have been disspelled by Draper's performance. And he did that against Highlands primarily first defense which will be very, very good next year.

Probably will be a contender for top 10 in the State, in Class 4A.

Just a few tid-bits.

1. the current 2005/2006 school year is his Sophmore year;

2. Lasered 4.7 - 40 as a Sophmore;

3. Prior to freshman year had NEVER taken a snap at the QB position (was always over the CSAA weight limit for a skilled position);

4. Had second longest run in the 2005 State Championship Game; and

5. Highest average yards per carry in the 2005 State Championship Game.

I think Zoeller and Wade will battle for the starting spot. You can never count out a senior.

• 2 weeks later...
Who will be calling signals at St. X? Will it be #11 or will #3 slide in? or somebody else?

I would say Zoeller is the front runner at this point. I have heard rumor of a knee problem. the extent and timing of repair(if necessary) could play a big role in whose there for 7 on 7 and in top form come August. Senior Chris Wade is not out of the picture. Not great footspeed but a good, accurate arm. I think Hall will certainly get his reps, as he is most likely the QB of the future. And yes...you will see #3 behind center as well. The Tiger offense will role this year.