POY in each region

Rose Hill is not a member of the EKC. I don't think the conference is limited to the publics because Holy Family was a former member school. However, although I have no interest in them, I am surprised that there has not been more discussion of the EKC awards.

As for the difference between the EKC and KABC, one is a conference of member schools and one is, I assume, a coach's organization. Also, when you see awards from the EKC it is perfectly clear that they are awarded to participants exclusively from the member schools. On the other hand, KABC is not as forthcoming- if, indeed, that really is its established policy. The jury is still out on that since no relevant proof has been offered.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF a school must pay in order for its athletes or coaches to be considered---

I hope they put that disclaimer on the trophies and plaques.

Coach of the year(of those teams paying dues)

Player of the year(of those teams paying dues)

Somehow loses its luster--dont you think?

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I have sit back and watched this dialogue all season. Why is it that no matter what happens in this region, Rose Hill always asserts they have been shafted? RH has a great team this year. They won the region handedly. Congratulations. Good luck at state. But, these awards were voted on and either the school is not a member of the association or your coach and player didn't receive the most votes. Either way, that's life. If RH is so great and everyone there is so sure of this greatness, why do you have to be validated by some end of the year award? Quit whining and just play basketball. It's just a game.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I have sit back and watched this dialogue all season. Why is it that no matter what happens in this region, Rose Hill always asserts they have been shafted? RH has a great team this year. They won the region handedly. Congratulations. Good luck at state. But, these awards were voted on and either the school is not a member of the association or your coach and player didn't receive the most votes. Either way, that's life. If RH is so great and everyone there is so sure of this greatness, why do you have to be validated by some end of the year award? Quit whining and just play basketball. It's just a game.

I dont remember reading any posts that said this or any award validated RH or any other school.I think they were giving their opinion on who SHOULD be the player or coach of the year (in their opinion)--just like everybody does in every thread on BGP.

I dont think anyone disputes the votes --only why they voted for that person.

IMO, if OJ Mayo was still in the region and continued to be the #1 player in America his senior year, there would be coaches who would not vote for him citing some ridiculous reason.

Finally, Verbatim-- I do not believe by your response --"you have no dog in the fight" but since you only have 1 post we'll have to wait and see and give you the benefit of the doubt.

Thanks for the benefit of the doubt SMOKEANDMIRRORS. I truly have no interest, other than being a fan of area high school basketball. Like I said, RH is a great team and they have consistently proven that this season. But can you not understand why people at other schools would be a bit perturbed about the situation at RH? I don't know the entire background at RH and I won't even pretend that I do. Ms. Queen & Ms. Terry are superb players and deserve the utmost recognition. But when it comes to the Faulkners & OJ Mayo, that is a different story entirely--whether you want to admit it or not. People work hard at these schools year in and year out building programs on tradition. Children come up in these schools wanting to wear the school colors they've come to bleed. But for people to transfer in and out like has been going on at RH, it takes away from the essence of high school sports.

Like you & "just like everybody does in every thread on BGP" I am stating my opinion. There are several young ladies in this region very deserving of this award. I think Rayburn was a good choice & Coach Easterling is a class act guy. They got these trophies, but maybe RH will get theirs later this week.

Verbatim, my friend, let me be the first to welcome you to BGP. Also, let me restate my position. I am not objecting to the choices of the KABC member coaches. If you will recheck my posts, you will find that I have not done so at any time. I am merely asking for clarification of the selection process in regard to just exactly who is and who is not eligible.

For example, you are you impressed that Kala Faulkner was named 16th Region Player of the Year by MTWSL. Doesn't that sound significant? However, it loses its luster when you learn that it stands for "me and those with the same loyalities".

I congratulate Rayburn and Easterling on their honor. I merely want to know just exactly what I am congratulating them for. Is that unreasonable?

Although you may not have a "dog in the fight" I suspect you have at least what we around the jailhouse call a "quasi-vested interest".

Thank you scooterbob for the welcome. I'm a longtime admirer of your staunch support of your team. You're not at all unreasonable in requesting the voting criteria. I do have a quasi-vested interest in seeing kids gain the valuable experience that high school athletics offer, no matter what school they attend. But I think the value of high school sports is knocked out of perspective by kids transferring here and there just because they are unhappy with this or that. I apologize if anyone thought I was attempting to disrespect the play of any RH players this year.

And I was only addressing the paranoia and instant defensiveness I have sensed on this board and in attendance at RH games this season. I am not including everyone, but there are RH people who seem to think the 16th region is against them and I just don't think that's true. I think we all want to see each of these kids succeed not only in athletics, but in life. And I think the RH situation this year gave the wrong message to kids who don't necessarily agree with their coach. And let me reiterate what I said earlier--I don't know the entire RH situation and will not act as though I do. I am only stating my opinion of what it looks like to someone on the outside, just a fan of the 16th region.

And I think the RH situation this year gave the wrong message to kids who don't necessarily agree with their coach. And let me reiterate what I said earlier--I don't know the entire RH situation and will not act as though I do. I am only stating my opinion of what it looks like to someone on the outside, just a fan of the 16th region.

Verbatim, I used to use floppy disks of the same name and they went out of favor when folks realized they had poor memory. Perhaps that is the correlation here, I believe that RH is not the only school that has had transfers, take a brief look at the boys regional tourney rosters in the 16th and you'll see many who have been/played at other schools. Many were at Rose Hill. Can you imagine if Vanhoose, McDavid, Thomas and the like were still Royals? So, pardon me for noticing your soapbox but you were correct in saying that you don't know the entire situation at RH, although contrary to your post you do act as though you do. It sounds to me that you may have been apartied to a conversation here or there about the "message" the kids were sending. This thread had no real attacks until you paid your dues to initiate one. I'd love to say welcome, but it would be half-hearted. Great start though, why mess around?:argue:

Just think if they never left ashland the tomcats would win a few more games. Vanhoose started at R.H. till the 4th grade then to poage then to Verity to the 7th grade . At Rose Hill he was in the 7th grade again you spoke of Thomas he aslo started in ashland at Poage school then went to Rose Hill and did a repeat of the 6th grade again. Mcdavid started at Rose Hill then went to Verity for football . If you want the whole list of the players that started at Ashland and went elsewhere to play basketball send me a p.m. and we can talk about it.:::cool:

Verbatim, with all due respect, I think that your second post clearly illustrates why Rose Hill supporters are continually defending their school and its athletic program.

You mention all of the transfers in and out of Rose Hill and use that fact as evidence of problems with the school. You state that people at other schools work "year in and year out" building programs on tradition. From that, I assume that you are saying that Rose Hill does not operate in that manner. You even go so far as to say that children come to these schools "wanting to wear those school colors that they've come to bleed".

Now, let me give you an example as to why your premise is one-sided. Did you know that Rose Hill had six former athletes who participated in this year's regional tournament? No, I'm not talking about the girls. I am referring to the boys. All six left Rose Hill for other area schools. Did you know that other former Rose Hill athletes- both girls and boys- are playing at other local schools? Did you know that two former Rose Hill athletes just won their second consecutive state championship in West Virginia and two more are on their way to a second state championship in Ohio?

Now lets look at those dozen plus athletes. How many days did they "sit out" before they were eligible in their new schools? The answer is "zero".

You find fault with the Faulkner girls. These girls were required to "sit out" a full year before they could participate at Rose Hill. Your condemnation is unfair and indicates that you are either uninformed or playing the one-sided game as many are inclined to do.

Has Rose Hill ever complained to KHSAA about all of the outflow of talent? Check the record because the answer is "no". Were any of the "outflow" recruited by other schools? Surely you don't believe that the transfers were all just by chance, do you? Can any of it be proven? Actually, in some cases the answer is "yes". However, our policy is to do what is best for the children involved (I believe you said you have a quasi-vested interest in this goal) and, thus, we have never contested a transfer. Can that be said of our "neighbors"?

As for Ovinton, I believe the record is clear that, like a number of our students, he came here from Ohio. He came as a sixth grader. Private schools do not have boundaries. We also have no governmental entities to fund us and to bankroll those who happen to "transfer" into our "district" as do our "friends" who continually find fault with how we operate. If Rose Hill had done anything in violation of the KHSAA rules in regard to Ovinton, you can rest assured that there would have been an inquisition to rival the overthrow of the Roman Empire. After all, our "neighbors" are still haunted by the fact that the best individual basketball talent to ever play in this region was at Rose Hill and not at one of those "traditions" you mention.

I have been too wordy. However, I believe that it is ridiculous that Rose Hill is allowed to be painted as the dark force in area athletics. That, in fact, is hardly the truth. Therefore, you should understand why we partisans are so quick to defend our position. If we didn't, all information would be as misplaced as is your second post. On a personal note, let me say that I actually believe that we should play a little more hardball. Whatever it takes.

Just think if they never left ashland the tomcats would win a few more games. Vanhoose started at R.H. till the 4th grade then to poage then to Verity to the 7th grade . At Rose Hill he was in the 7th grade again you spoke of Thomas he aslo started in ashland at Poage school then went to Rose Hill and did a repeat of the 6th grade again. Mcdavid started at Rose Hill then went to Verity for football . If you want the whole list of the players that started at Ashland and went elsewhere to play basketball send me a p.m. and we can talk about it.:::cool:

That was my point, not an attack on Ashland. I said many schools. So don't jump paranoid on me. Just making a point about the fact that the defections/transfers go on everywhere. Sorry to burst everyones bubble, but this ain't high school of the 70's and 80's. Kids, and moreover, parents are all about ME and it doesn't get any simpler than that. Where can I go to get my way, to be in the spotlight, to increase my odds of being the big dog, or even for less ego-driven scenarios. Every school has something to offer, and for whatever reason a parent/student makes a decision so be it. But to attack one for such a paultry reason is wrong. We're talking about a somewhat petty award. Not to demean the winners, but it won't buy you a bag of chips 10 years from now.

Verbatim, with all due respect, I think that your second post clearly illustrates why Rose Hill supporters are continually defending their school and its athletic program.

You mention all of the transfers in and out of Rose Hill and use that fact as evidence of problems with the school. You state that people at other schools work "year in and year out" building programs on tradition. From that, I assume that you are saying that Rose Hill does not opeerate in that manner. You even go so far as to say that children come to these schools "wanting to wear those school colors that they've come to bleed".

Now, let me give you an example as to why your premise is one-sided. Did you know that Rose Hill had six former athletes who participated in this year's regional tournament? No, I'm not talking about the girls. I am referring to the boys. All six left Rose Hill for other area schools. Did you know that other former Rose Hill athletes- both girls and boys- are playing at other local schools? Did you know that two former Rose Hill athletes just won their second consecutive state championship in West Virginia and two more are on their was to a second state championship in Ohio?

Now lets look at those dozen plus athletes. How many days did they "sit out" before they were eligible in their new schools? The answer is "zero".

You find fault with the Faulkner girls. These girls were required to "sit out" a full year before they could participate at Rose Hill. Your condemnation is unfair and indicates thatyou are either uninformed or playing the one-sided game as many are inclined to do.

Has Rose Hill ever complained to KHSAA about all of the outflow of talent? Check the record because the answer is "no". Were any of the "outflow" recruited by other schools? Surely you don't believe that the transfers were all just by chance, do you? Can any of it be proven? Actually, in some cases the answer is "yes". However, our policy is to do what is best for the children involved (I believe you said you have a quasi-vested interest in this goal) and, thus, we have never contested a transfer. Can that be said of our "neighbors"?

As for Ovinton, I believe the record is clear that, like a number of our students, he came here from Ohio. He came as a sixth grader. Private schools do not have boundaries. We also have no governmental entities to fund us and to bankroll those who happen to "transfer" into our "district" as do our "friends" who continually find fault with how we operate. If Rose Hill had done anything in violation of the KHSAA rules in regard to Ovinton, you can rest assured that their would have been an inquisition to rival the overthrow of the Roman Empire. After all, our "neighbors" are still haunted by the fact that the best individual basketball talent to ever play in this region was at Rose Hill and not at one of those "traditions" you mention.

I have been too wordy. However, I believe that it is ridiculous that Rose Hill is allowed to be painted as the dark force in area athletics. That, in fact, is hardly the truth. Therefore, you should understand why we partisans are so quick to defend our position. If we didn't, all information would be as misplaced as is your second post. On a personal note, let me say that I actually believe that we should play a little more hardball. Whatever it takes.

By the way, I still haven't seen any documented explanation of the process used by KABC. Of course, I didn't really expect one.

Verbatim, the only thing that Rose Hill did wrong this year is stomp a mud hole in the rest of the region's rear end. If your complaint is about the Faulkners they left Russell, sit out their year, and then played. Stickly by the rules set forth by the KHSAA.

I find it interesting that when West Carter won the state championship a few years back they did so with a high profile transfer. Yet they were considered the poster child for a girl's basketball program. I can assure you that the Faulkner girls sit out a lot more games than the West transfer.

Like I mentioned before Kala Faulkner, Laura Terry, nor Emily Queen need another trophy to justify their greatness this year. I am officially declaring them tri-winners of the first and only RPOY (Rickyp Player of the Year). No money required just on the court performance.

Marooncat, I will give you Thomas, Barker, and half of Vanhoose. Rose Hill will claim McDavid, Blair, J. Sparks, B. Williams, the other half of Vanhoose and Tyler Cooksey as origional Rose Hill kids. With that being said McDavid made a very intelligent decision to play football he will probably receive a free college education due to his ability to play that sport. Same goes for Williams in baseball.