POY in each region

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the fourth time, I don't see where anyone is criticizing Easterling or Raburn or their choice for the awards. The query was made concerning just who is eligible for the awards. With all due respect to westsider, his information doesn't provide squat. I asked for documented evidence of the process in regard to who is eligible and who is not. Is that really an unfair question? Surely not- unless there is no answer or unless the answer is questionable. Westsider says I should ask a member coach. What would that prove? As expected, no one can document the process. By the way, to add some further interest to the debate, I understand that Pam Euton did pay her dues.

From what Frances says, it would make one wonder if schools with "15 or 20 members" get 15 or 20 votes. If that is the case, the whole deal, regardless of who is chosen, is ridiculous and meaningless.

For the fourth time, I don't see where anyone is criticizing Easterling or Raburn or their choice for the awards. The query was made concerning just who is eligible for the awards. With all due respect to westsider, his information doesn't provide squat. I asked for documented evidence of the process in regard to who is eligible and who is not. Is that really an unfair question? Surely not- unless there is no answer or unless the answer is questionable. Westsider says I should ask a member coach. What would that prove? As expected, no one can document the process. By the way, to add some further interest to the debate, I understand that Pam Euton did pay her dues.

From what Frances says, it would make one wonder if schools with "15 or 20 members" get 15 or 20 votes. If that is the case, the whole deal, regardless of who is chosen, is ridiculous and meaningless.

Three items:

1) If Pam Euton paid her dues, she should have been eligible.

2) I understand the point about a given school having multiple votes having the appearance of "stuffing the ballot box", but by the same token, I can see how having a head coach and four or five assistants be eligible to vote would be kosher. These coaches not only see far more games than even the most devoted fan, they break down film, study offensive and defensive sets, and truly understand the importance of what many people would consider "secondary" stats. I would say that they are uniquely qualified to vote on both the POY and COY. That doesn't mean that I (or anyone else) would necessarily agree with their vote, but I don't see how they would not be considered qualified to render an informed vote.

3) As for the first point that Scooterbob makes, I don't think anyone has criticized Rayburn or Easterling either. On the other hand, I understand how some might view the belittling of the award itself as a slap in the face of those that won it. I may be wrong, but I believe that that is the point that some of the others were making.

D) I'll restate my earlier post - I hope that Rose Hill is a member next year, because I'd like to see Emily Queen win the POY. And before anyone decides to chew on my backside - yes, I'm a little biased.

Frances

I am not belittling the award or the recipients. Easterling is a good coach who had a good season particularly after his best player was injured. Rayburn is one of the best dozen players in the region and one of the three or four best seniors. As for the award, any award is commendable. However, if there is any belittling being done, it is because no one seems to be able to document the group's criteria for consideration. If the award has a "moving" criteria, it has little credibility.

I feel sure that Pam told me some time ago that she voted her KABC ballot. I am on my way back to Bowling Green (5 hours) and I will find out for sure. Queen, Terry, Okora, and Fortman should all be strong candidates next year. However, I still believe that statistics and team performance indicate only one real senior candidate this year for senior player of the year- if we can assume an unbiased vote. Regardless, I, again, congratulate the winners and merely want to understand just what they won. Sounds reasonable and nonthreatening to me.

Brandi Ramey?? She used to be an assistant coach at Rose Hill, only her name is Brandi Bevins now. :p;)

Now Brandy Rayburn of West Carter is a great player, and had a great season, but my vote would still go to Kala Faulkner.

You're right LRCW, as usual. I meant Brandy Rayburn, who is a fine player and deserves to play at the D1 level. However, I can't believe that Kala Faulkner wasn't voted POY, she deserved the award no matter what criteria is used.

Kala Faulkner: 21.2 PPG 47.8 FG% 34.6 3 PTFG% 77.9 FT%

Brandi Rayburn: 14.9 PPG 55.2 FG% 85.7 FT% (Led the State)

Both teams had 20 win seasons.

Got these stats from various sites on the net....

Let me rephrase the stats

Kala led the region in scoring AND assists while her team was the 2nd best in KY.

Enough said:flame:

Congrats to Brandy--very deserving of the award. Next year Queen, Terry and Fortman will be the leading candidates.

If this year is any indication then Fortman should have no trouble winning the award. :thumb:

What kind of statement is that Rickyp?

All three plus Okoro and Seals will have a good chance at the award.

My point is that Queen and Terry have little chance. Fortman is an excellent player and according to BaileyHowell in comes down to her and two girls who attend a school that doesn't get local votes.

I think the three leading canidates are Fortman, Seals, and Okoro.

My thought is that these two girls will get several votes if they continue their top notch play.

BTW RP clean out your PM box.

Maybe if they lead the region in two of the major catagories and help direct their team to post season play at state --they will win.

Oh I forgot -- thats what Kala Faulkner did ---------Your predictions are right RickyP .As usual you have your finger on the pulse of 16th region politics and thinking.

Maybe if they lead the region in two of the major catagories and help direct their team to post season play at state --they will win.

Oh I forgot -- thats what Kala Faulkner did ---------Your predictions are right RickyP .As usual you have your finger on the pulse of 16th region politics and thinking.

The voting was done at the end of the regular season, so postseason play wasn't a factor.

Was the decision a matter of "politics?" Maybe. It happens in a lot of regions with players that have transferred or play for a certain school and/or exhibit questionable attitude or behavior.

Regardless of the vote, Faulkner got the last laugh ... she was playing on Saturday night.