POY in each region

Congratulations to Brandi and Coach Easterling. Spindoc announces.........They are both at home this week while the Lady Royals are at the state tourney at Diddle. Rickyp is rumored to be passing the hat at halftime so the Royals can pay their COY/POY dues next season!:lol:

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed, you are correct, Ram Land. You beat me to the newspaper. I stand corrected.

I think the choices raise a few material questions.

First, I will assume that Cubster is correct about the requirement that one be a dues-paying member of KABC in order to vote. That makes sense. Therefore, can we,conclude that Rose Hill chose not to be a member by not paying its dues and, thus, its coaches could not vote? If so, that is reasonable and fair.

Second, if the award is for the top coach and top player in the region, is there a requirement that the coaches of a school be dues-paying members in order for the coach and players of that school to be eligible for consideration (that seems to be Cubster's slant)? If so, I would like for someone to provide us with valid documentation of that policy. If, which I doubt, there really is a prior stated policy, the awards should be designated as the "Coach of the Year for a School in which Its Coaches are Dues-paying Members of the KABC" and "Player of the Year for a School in which Its Coaches are Dues-paying Members of the KABC" rather than implying that the awards cover all coaches and players in the region.

If this were truly an award encompassing participants in the entire region, it would not require membership for consideration. I mean no disrespect toward Rayburn or Easterling. However, the choices are suspect unless better explained.

If believable evidence is offered to prove my premise wrong, I'll be the first to admit it.

shouldn't Rose Hill's membership to the KABC be verified before the class and character of the 16th Region coaches is questioned? This could legitimately be the reason that Kala wasn't in contention for POY and Pam wasn't for COY. If it is the KABC's award to give out, then shouldn't they be able to decide the requirements of eligibility to receive the award? Just as in scholarships: to receive certain scholarships, you must be a member in good standing of certain organizations. I would think that would include having your dues paid in full.

I believe that I was asking for documentation as to whether the awards are limited to those associated with schools with dues-paying coaches or if the award is open to all in the region. Whether Rose Hill's coaches paid their dues or not is not relevent one way or the other. Either the awards cover all in the region or they don't. If not, as Incognito suggests, then it should be so stated. If a scholarship is open to a certain element of the population, it is normally so stated. These awards should be handled in like manner.

Just got off the phone with Rickyp who's in Lexington and just got the POY/COY news. His question was "Now that they have given the public school awards, when are they handing out the overall awards?" Classic,,,,you gotta love that guy!:thumb:

Quote: "I believe that I was asking for documentation as to whether the awards are limited to those associated with schools with dues-paying coaches or if the award is open to all in the region."

That was exactly my point. Before we presume that Kala and Pam were voted against by coaches of lowly character and class, let's find out if they were even eligible to be in contention.

That was exactly my point. Before we presume that Kala and Pam were voted against by coaches of lowly character and class, let's find out if they were even eligible to be in contention.

I agree with you. We need to find out the real truth before we start pointing any fingers. I believe the post below was what had some people questioning the voting.

Brandi Rayburn has signed at a D1 school so I hink she can play. Expect Rayburn to be KABC POY and Easterling to be the COY. Baldwin probably got many votes also. Two top notch young ladies.

More to the awards than just ability.

Coaches also look at character and class.

For a player or coach to win a KABC regional award, the coach from that school must be a member of the organization.

I assume that you are correct. And if you are, I think it is a very unrepresentative award. So, if only one coach in the region pays the dues, then everyone else is not in the running for the award. That's junk IMO. Perhaps it was a smart move for RH not to pay, assuming they did not, simply because it removes them from the midst of a political turmoil. Now folks can just not vote for them on the technicality and all is well in BGP land. :p

I am not doubting the truth of your post, westsider. However, it is still reasonable to expect some documentary evidence that this is the traditional policy of the KABC. Otherwise, your statement is merely unsubstantiated heresay.

If, in fact, the KABC does not include all players and all coaches in a region, it should so state so that others know that the awards are somewhat less than all inclusive and, therefore, are not as significant as most are led to believe.

A few of questions for a real novice:

What are the benefits of being a member of the KBAC?

Is it associated with the KHSAA in any way?

Are all schools/coaches normally members or are there a lot who are not?

How many 16th region schools are currently members?

Why would Rose Hill not be a member? An oversight or intentional choice not

to be a member?

I once won an award for being the best speler in my grade school class born on December 28. Just like these awards it was very special.

Kala Faulkner, Emiley Queen, nor Laura Terry need an award to know that they are the best 3 players in the 16th region.

These are also a novice questions: Why didn't this discussion take place regarding the EKC awards? Is Rose Hill a member of the EKC, or my presumption is that the EKC represents only public schools. Also, how is the KABC different from the EKC?