POY in each region

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kala Faulkner in the 16th Region. No real senior competition but plenty of politics.

Brandi Rayburn has signed at a D1 school so I hink she can play. Expect Rayburn to be KABC POY and Easterling to be the COY. Baldwin probably got many votes also. Two top notch young ladies.

More to the awards than just ability.

Coaches also look at character and class.

I will reaffirm what I said in post number 5. Rayburn had a decent year (far from outstanding) and Baldwin unfortunately, had a short season (also far from outstanding) . By performance, there is no doubt that Faulkner deserves the award. If, as indicated by Hoops #1, the coaches base their votes on some highly subjective criteria called "character and class" (whatever that may mean), then, as I stated, politics has entered the picture. Actually, since Faulkner was chosen as a McConnell Scholar at U of L, an honor that places a great deal of emphasis on community service and high academics, I would think that her "character and class" are rather good, don't you think?

Question for Hoops #1: Will your criteria of "character and class" also be used in choosing the boy player of the year for this region?

Brandi Rayburn has signed at a D1 school so I hink she can play. Expect Rayburn to be KABC POY and Easterling to be the COY. Baldwin probably got many votes also. Two top notch young ladies.

More to the awards than just ability.

Coaches also look at character and class.

I've never had the pleasure of meeting Brandi Rayburn, but I've seen her play several times, and she is a very good basketball player. I congratulate her on her scholarship to Morehead. I must admit though that I feel that Kala Faulkner had a much better year and is more deserving of the award. I don't know if Hoops # 1 is speculating, or if he already knows who won the awards. If what he says is true, then I believe I agree with scooterbob that politics have played a big part in this award. I don't know what Hoops #1 is referring to by stating that Coaches look at class and character, but I believe it is truly a reflection of poor class and character upon the coaches if they have chosen Ms. Rayburn over Ms. Faulkner because of the simple fact that Ms. Faulkner left Russell and went to Rose Hill. I know that kids transfer all the time for various reasons, but for a group of coaches to hold a grudge against a young lady because of this shows nothing but immaturity and jealousy on their part. I know the whole situation that happened at Russell,(I have two kids at Russell) but to me this shows that the coaches, who are supposed to be adults and teach these young ladies and set good examples, are showing poor leadership and are acting childish. As far as Coach Euton goes, I've never had the opportunity to meet her, but I've heard nothing but good things about her. How in the world can her class and character be questioned? :confused:

Only teams and coaches whose school has paid their membership dues to the KABC are eligible to win these awards and get a tryout for the KY All Stars.

So are you saying that Rose Hill hasn't paid their dues?

No I am not saying that.

Not all coaches pay their annual dues. It is not a requirement for a coach to be a KABC member. It is an option.

I have gone a year without being a member by just forgetting.

Also the COY and POY are notified about two weeks prior to the state tourney. There is a banquet honoring the recipients on Friday of the state tournament.

I have no idea who is in the association or not I was just stating the requirements. Any coach or asst coach in the KABC has a vote for region POY and COY in their respective region.

Hoops#1, your malcontent for Kala has been well documented on this site. But the fact is she has better numbers, and more success than Rayburn. She has played better all round basketball. She is also a great person, who will succeed in life in spite what the coaches of the KABC or yourself think of her character and class. I'll bet it is difficult to function in everyday life with that large chip on your shcoulder.

I believe LRCW and the rest of BGP realizes the underhand barb there by Cubster at the Royals regardless how he'd like to attempt to deny. Let me go out on a long limb here and guess that neither KF nor PE got your vote.

Ram Land, if you happen to be correct, it would be far more revealing of the character, intelligence, and maturity levels (or lack thereof) of the coaches of this area than about the results of the vote.

It would be reminiscent of the 2002 vote when Jeff Hall was chosen as Kentucky's statewide coach of the year but received no votes from his local "colleagues" for area coach of the year. Real classy bunch of coaches, don't you think? I would hope the coaches of the female teams could do better particularly when the choice is so obvious.