Did She Really Say That?

bballfamily

A little leaf lettuce, a little mustard greens, add some diced green onions, and pour on the bacon grease. My folks called that "Hay". We ate that a lot, when I was a kid.

Occasionally, Mom would cut up a boiled egg or two and add that to the salad.

I've seen it in some restaurants, but they add some kind of vinaigrette to it. Ruins it.

My mom called that "killed" lettuce and onions, although it included greens too, not just the leaf lettuce. I always liked watching her pour that hot grease over the greens. A big bowl of greens reduces down pretty quickly when you "kill" it down.

No wonder I have cholesterol problems now. Nobody had heard of it back in those days, but if we had any cholesterol back then, my Momma would have fried it and made some cornbread to go with it.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe I'm insensitive, but I must admit, I think the best fried chicken has to be ordered in restaurants where you order through bullet proof glass. The best fried chicken and banana pudding I've ever eaten is at Chicken King. Best wings are tied...Indy's an Chicken King. KFC ain't got nothing on those two, or Kings on Dixie Hwy near Dumesnil. Now I REALLY want move back to Louisville.

Indy's is my favorite fast fried chicken when I can get it. If I'm at home though, I hit up Valu Market. Oddly solid fried chicken. But it's not Indy's.

True story. In my days of working in residential construction, I had a crew of brick masons who worked for me that was comprised of five 50+ year old black men. They had been around for a lonnnnng time, and were amazingly good at what they did. One of the best masonry outfits I've ever had work for me. ...but that's besides the point.

The five of them would all bring in things together to eat a communal lunch on the tailgate of one of their trucks. At least two days a week they would eat fried chicken, and as long as it was in season, they had watermelon daily. After I got to know them well enough, had stopped by one of the houses they were working on while they were on lunch break and I asked Calvin, their "foreman", jokingly about why they decided to go with such a stereotypical lunch. He looked at me with a smile, took a big chomp out of his slice of watermelon, and said, "Well it's a stereotype for a reason!"

Neither have I. New one on me.

I made hot slaw about two weeks ago...funny story...my wife and I both mentioned to each other how we had really started craving it out of the blue, and then we both realized it was because of the giant "Re-Elect Bobbie Holsclaw, County Clerk" on Bardstown Road sign right by our apartment complex.

Anyway, you basically fry up a pound of bacon until it's crispy, remove the bacon from the pan and break it into small pieces and put it in a large bowl. Add two or three teaspoons of salt and another tablespoon or two of minced garlic in with the bacon and mix together. Then you slice up a head of green cabbage into slaw, maybe along with a thinly sliced onion, and you put it in the bowl with the bacon pieces. Then you add in a cup to a cup and a half of sugar, and a cup to a cup and a half of vinegar (there are debates about whether you should use white or apple cider vinegar). The sugar and vinegar proportions depend on your personal taste. I like it a little more vinegary, and I use white vinegar. Last, you take the frying pan and pour all of the hot bacon grease over everything in the bowl and mix it all together.

Absolutely amazing stuff.

I made hot slaw about two weeks ago...funny story...my wife and I both mentioned to each other how we had really started craving it out of the blue, and then we both realized it was because of the giant "Re-Elect Bobbie Holsclaw, County Clerk" on Bardstown Road sign right by our apartment complex.

Anyway, you basically fry up a pound of bacon until it's crispy, remove the bacon from the pan and break it into small pieces and put it in a large bowl. Add two or three teaspoons of salt and another tablespoon or two of minced garlic in with the bacon and mix together. Then you slice up a head of green cabbage into slaw, maybe along with a thinly sliced onion, and you put it in the bowl with the bacon pieces. Then you add in a cup to a cup and a half of sugar, and a cup to a cup and a half of vinegar (there are debates about whether you should use white or apple cider vinegar). The sugar and vinegar proportions depend on your personal taste. I like it a little more vinegary, and I use white vinegar. Last, you take the frying pan and pour all of the hot bacon grease over everything in the bowl and mix it all together.

That's pretty much it. My mom used apple cider vinegar but yeah, which ever you like better.

Gott. Im. Himmel.

I'm trying this.