November 5, 201411 yr Those are all yours brother. Nothing good about them. Just thinking of the smell of them cooking just made me gag a little...worst smell ever!
November 5, 201411 yr "Every time I come in the kitchen, you in the kitchen. In the refrigerator. Eatin' up all the food. All the chitlins... All the pig's feet... All the collard greens... All the hog maws. I wanna eat them chitlins... I like pigs feet."
November 5, 201411 yr Maybe I'm insensitive, but I must admit, I think the best fried chicken has to be ordered in restaurants where you order through bullet proof glass. The best fried chicken and banana pudding I've ever eaten is at Chicken King. Best wings are tied...Indy's an Chicken King. KFC ain't got nothing on those two, or Kings on Dixie Hwy near Dumesnil. Now I REALLY want move back to Louisville.
November 5, 201411 yr Would this be similar to Rand Paul telling Kentuckians that it's OK to spit tobacco juice on the floor and go shoot something, as long as they vote first?
November 5, 201411 yr Father-in-law often tells a story about going to feed a couple of chickens in a separate pen and his mom getting on him for wasting food feeding breakfast to his lunch. He said Chicken would be walking around that morning and would be on the table for Sunday Lunch after church!
November 5, 201411 yr Maybe I'm insensitive, but I must admit, I think the best fried chicken has to be ordered in restaurants where you order through bullet proof glass. The best fried chicken and banana pudding I've ever eaten is at Chicken King. Best wings are tied...Indy's an Chicken King. KFC ain't got nothing on those two, or Kings on Dixie Hwy near Dumesnil. Now I REALLY want move back to Louisville. Agreed. If I ever want good chicken, KFC is never the answer. Hell, Kroger has better fried chicken than KFC does.
November 5, 201411 yr Father-in-law often tells a story about going to feed a couple of chickens in a separate pen and his mom getting on him for wasting food feeding breakfast to his lunch. He said Chicken would be walking around that morning and would be on the table for Sunday Lunch after church! I can remember chasing my sister around my granny's house in Mississippi with the guts from the chicken she killed in her backyard that morning. Good times. Granny also fed me so much watermelon that to this day I can't eat it!
November 5, 201411 yr There is a joint in Brunswick, GA that has the BEST that I've ever had. I ate bowls and bowls of them. A little joint in Athens, GA had great ones too. Turnip greens, mustard greens, collard greens...if made right, I'll annihilate them. This should be a non-story whether Mrs. Obama said it or a middle-aged white guy. That being said....I grew up on the state line of Mississippi and Tennessee. I love fried chicken, CHICKEN LIVERS even more, and I could make a meal out of turnip greens. How is that for red-neck? I don't find her remark offensive. I remember after moving to Colorado, then Massachusetts and remarking to black friends that grew up in those areas, that I probably had more black friends growing up than they did.
November 5, 201411 yr That's more of a southern thing than a black thing. Tell that to Fuzzy Zoeller. :lol2:
November 5, 201411 yr This should be a non-story whether Mrs. Obama said it or a middle-aged white guy. That being said....I grew up on the state line of Mississippi and Tennessee. I love fried chicken, CHICKEN LIVERS even more, and I could make a meal out of turnip greens. How is that for red-neck? I don't find her remark offensive. I remember after moving to Colorado, then Massachusetts and remarking to black friends that grew up in those areas, that I probably had more black friends growing up than they did. I grew up similar. We had "greens" is all I knew. My granny took greens (could have been leaves from the sycamore for all I knew), tossed em like a salad then poured hot bacon grease over em. I realized that you could basically toss hot bacon grease over anything and it tasted like bacon. I think it's a cooking miracle.
November 5, 201411 yr What do you think the reaction would have been if a white person had made such a statement? I think the other posters in this thread have covered any response I would make.
November 5, 201411 yr I grew up similar. We had "greens" is all I knew. My granny took greens (could have been leaves from the sycamore for all I knew), tossed em like a salad then poured hot bacon grease over em. I realized that you could basically toss hot bacon grease over anything and it tasted like bacon. I think it's a cooking miracle. A little leaf lettuce, a little mustard greens, add some diced green onions, and pour on the bacon grease. My folks called that "Hay". We ate that a lot, when I was a kid. Occasionally, Mom would cut up a boiled egg or two and add that to the salad. I've seen it in some restaurants, but they add some kind of vinaigrette to it. Ruins it.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.