James Madison University students drown out preacher

SportsGuy41017

It's fighting hate with love ;)
So do you really believe that a mob surrounding a single man and singing a Christian song so loudly that the man could not be heard was a Christian act of love? I don`t and I don't think you do either. It's all about motive. Re-read the title that you gave to this thread. There is the real motive for this childish behavior.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea what the preacher was trying to say, but I certainly recognized the religious bigots at work. Whatever happened to the notion of politely ignoring the voices of people with whom you disagree - or engaging them in civil debate? This was a shameful display of intolerance. At least the students did not pummel him with their fists.

You must have never heard the campus evangelists before. Their aim is attention, shock and degrading others in the name of Jesus. Think Westboro. This was a great response by some Christian groups on the campus.

no, not really. Just telling people they were going to hell. Then calling the guy playing the guitar a pervert, for whatever reason.

These kind of evangelists are just like Westboro. Often calling coeds whores and guys perverts.

So do you really believe that a mob surrounding a single man and singing a Christian song so loudly that the man could not be heard was a Christian act of love? I don`t and I don't think you do either. It's all about motive. Re-read the title that you gave to this thread. There is the real motive for this childish behavior.
The motive to me seems to be they were tired of his act. They didn't stop him from saying his piece, they just said theirs louder. There's no debating guys like that because they don't care what you have to say. They have sad lives and nothing better to do. No different then Westboro. See them all the time around Henderson and Owensboro, they usually come out in droves during the BBQ festival or some other function. They will have posters with pics of aborted babies or signs saying "God hates gays (but using a the f word)". If your idea of practicing freedom of speech and religion is to stand on a public sidewalk and shout to me why I'm going to hell then you're a sad human being.

Your comments in this thread have surprised me. This post helps me understand.

These kind of evangelists are just like Westboro. Often calling coeds whores and guys perverts.

Yep, had one of these at Murray State when I was there...I think he went by the name Bro. Jim. Would stand on a bench usually out by one of the dorms by a main thoroughfare, shout out a few bible verses, scream at girls that they are whores, call guys names, call a few of them homos, telling everybody they were going to hell, all kind of derogatory stuff...and every time it devolved into a screaming match full of obscenities and name calling. I would stand there for a while and just shake my head...thinking...how sad of him, he has no clue how to spread the message of love and forgiveness and evidently has no concept of Christianity...and how sad for some of the students who would get right in the middle of it with him and unfortunately prove correct some of the exact things he was saying.

Yep, had one of these at Murray State when I was there...I think he went by the name Bro. Jim. Would stand on a bench usually out by one of the dorms by a main thoroughfare, shout out a few bible verses, scream at girls that they are whores, call guys names, call a few of them homos, telling everybody they were going to hell, all kind of derogatory stuff...and every time it devolved into a screaming match full of obscenities and name calling. I would stand there for a while and just shake my head...thinking...how sad of him, he has no clue how to spread the message of love and forgiveness and evidently has no concept of Christianity...and how sad for some of the students who would get right in the middle of it with him and unfortunately prove correct some of the exact things he was saying.

At EKU we had Bro Jed and Sister Cindy.

Jeez, I remember that tool box. He called my girlfriend a word that apparently isn't safe with the word filter but starts with a W :lol2:

So you're calling the students "religious bigots" for singing a Christian song? Riiiiiight.
Maybe religious bigots is a bit over the top, definitely rude and narrow-minded. I guess I don't see what is so hard about walking by an obnoxious street preacher and ignoring him. That, and I don't like mob rule.

You must have never heard the campus evangelists before. Their aim is attention, shock and degrading others in the name of Jesus. Think Westboro. This was a great response by some Christian groups on the campus.
Yes, I have heard campus evangelists before and I have heard subway station evangelists before too. The best way to discourage them is to walk by them and ignore them if you have no interest in their message. If they become verbally abusive, then cell phones are great recording devices.

I find mob behavior more scary than some lone street preacher. Whether singing loudly or screaming, I believe that it is wrong to simply drown out the voice of one individual. If he is a threat, then there are better ways to handle him.

Yes, I have heard campus evangelists before and I have heard subway station evangelists before too. The best way to discourage them is to walk by them and ignore them if you have no interest in their message. If they become verbally abusive, then cell phones are great recording devices.

I find mob behavior more scary than some lone street preacher. Whether singing loudly or screaming, I believe that it is wrong to simply drown out the voice of one individual. If he is a threat, then there are better ways to handle him.

And you and I would disagree.