LHL: Cordia Appeals KHSAA Penalties

I mean building up a school that's never won anything to the point that the rest of the teams in the region, including the one that has transfers from New York, Philadelphia, Sheldon Clark, Buckhorn, and Breathitt County over the past few years will let an assistant build a case against them, then yes.

Don't understand the knock on east KY. What other school have former NBA players and college assistants coaching?

That's fine and dandy, but that does NOT explain how all these out of state kids find him without being contacted first. It's not even a top program in the state (you could argue its own region since it is still searching for a title).

There are dozens/hundreds of places across America where the coach has college/NBA ties. Rhodes is faaaaaaaaaaaar from the only one (or even the only one in Kentucky).

Lotts Creek is not known for its scenery, high-paying jobs, number of jobs or quality of education.

So what (or who) exactly is responsible for the magical and sheer coincidental run of talent Cordia has had land on its doorstep like a stork dropping off a baby for a wanting couple?

I'm not from Cordia. Not from a rival. Not from the same district/region. The schools I never play Cordia in anything (and would whoop 'em in EVERY sport except boys' basketball, but there's a few area schools I'd take my chances with).

This isn't an axe to grind thing.

This is a want-an-honest-answer-to-the-phenomenon thing.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recruiting from another country is only better because it doesn't involve 'recruiting' guys that grew up playing against that school. Since I've used the Cooper example here (and yes, I know the boys weren't recruited), would there have been an uproar if they had come from Canada instead of WV? maybe some but not as much if I had to guess. We had pages of comments when two left WV for NCC. I think it has to do with proximity of the transfer more than the transfer.

Recruiting from another country is only better because it doesn't involve 'recruiting' guys that grew up playing against that school. Since I've used the Cooper example here (and yes, I know the boys weren't recruited), would there have been an uproar if they had come from Canada instead of WV? maybe some but not as much if I had to guess. We had pages of comments when two left WV for NCC. I think it has to do with proximity of the transfer more than the transfer.

There would have been an uproar if:

1 Their families didn't move into Coopers district.

2 The school provide money to the families to relocate

3 the school house the kid at the schools expense

4 the school recruiting several boys from all around the country and outside the country.

Your Cooper example is a horrible example because they did everything by the rules. Their family moved to this district. Do you really think if it was all about playing basketball they would have moved to a new school district that had no big basketball program? Don't you think if it was all

About basketball they would have went to NCC with the Moeves boys or even Holmes or even better CCH?

Your example is bad.

Personally, I think the problem is that they had 9 transfers on one team. While it's still technically illegal, a team can get away with 1 or maybe even 2. But 9? Come on.

On one level, I get what you are saying. On another level, I don't get it at all.

An analogous situation: this guy killed three people in cold blood, but this guy killed nine in cold blood. Guess what that makes both? Murders.

You would expect boarding schools to get more kids who transfer in and live in dorms than you would public schools who don't have that kind of setup.

No one gives a crap that OBI has a team of 12 kids who come and live in dorms, the majority of them from different states or countries. People don't care because everyone beats them. No one cares how far they come from. People don't care because they beat them senseless 9 out of 10 times they play.

People aren't mad that Cordia has out of state kids playing for their team, people are mad because they lose games to Cordia that they are used to winning. If people would be more honest about that, then I'd have more sympathy for what they're trying to say.

Nonetheless, I will firmly stand by saying that if other teams could get the kind of kids that Cordia was getting, they'd be doing exactly the same thing because they readily take kids from surrounding counties, and many times those are kids who aren't as talented.

I love you Joker but it's hard to compare murder to cheating to win at high school basketball.

I think the factors are the number of kids that were brought in and the manner with which it was all handled, including the people who were involved.

If you run up and slap a police officer in the face, you'll like get arrested. You slap the KHSAA in the face and you'll likely earn sanctions. Just my opinion

I love you Joker but it's hard to compare murder to cheating to win at high school basketball.

I think the factors are the number of kids that were brought in and the manner with which it was all handled, including the people who were involved.

If you run up and slap a police officer in the face, you'll like get arrested. You slap the KHSAA in the face and you'll likely earn sanctions. Just my opinion

That's fair. I don't equate high school basketball transfers to murder at all, I just think it's kind of weird to hear supporters of schools who've benefitted from transfers complaining about Cordia now getting them.

I don't know the whole story and from the way you talk, you seem to know something I don't and I'm not doubting that. I just think the whole, "they got this many kids though" is a bad analogy. Now, IF it's the manner in which kids are coming in, being treated, being educated, etc., then I agree it's a completely different argument.

At the end of the day, based on what I know now, I just can't feel bad for schools who've gotten transfers for years that are now crying foul when the shoe is on the other foot and it's Cordia who has the wealth, and that's where I'm coming from with this.

Hogwash. Why is it different if it's 2 or 10? It's still cheating. The "murder" corollary works. If you slap a cop twice or nine times it's gonna be the same result. Jail. The KHSAA doesn't see it that way, though, depending on whether the slapper is usually expected to be good.

There would have been an uproar if:

1 Their families didn't move into Coopers district.

2 The school provide money to the families to relocate

3 the school house the kid at the schools expense

4 the school recruiting several boys from all around the country and outside the country.

Your Cooper example is a horrible example because they did everything by the rules. Their family moved to this district. Do you really think if it was all about playing basketball they would have moved to a new school district that had no big basketball program? Don't you think if it was all

About basketball they would have went to NCC with the Moeves boys or even Holmes or even better CCH?

Your example is bad.

It's an example of talented basketball players changing school districts for the sole purpose of a sport....basketball.

Hogwash. Why is it different if it's 2 or 10? It's still cheating. The "murder" corollary works. If you slap a cop twice or nine times it's gonna be the same result. Jail. The KHSAA doesn't see it that way, though, depending on whether the slapper is usually expected to be good.

That's true but I think it's more about the way Cordia handled their business. Again, that's just my opinion.

It's an example of talented basketball players changing school districts for the sole purpose of a sport....basketball.

Exactly and there is zero evidence he moved to coopers district just to play basketball especially when there were better basketball schools in the area they could have went to if it were all about basketball such as NCC CCH Holmes etc.

That was my point.

Exactly and there is zero evidence he moved to coopers district just to play basketball especially when there were better basketball schools in the area they could have went to if it were all about basketball such as NCC CCH Holmes etc.

That was my point.

I know...splitting hairs here but we all know all of those guys were looking to get out of WV and into new situations.

Either way it only compares to Cordia in that local schools received good talent based on them transferring to other schools. There's a huge thread on here about the kids going to NCC but no one seemed to care about Canada or NJ kids going to Cordia...my guess is because we didn't care because no one was harmed athletically.