ASU Professor Arrest & Federal Investigation

JokersWild24

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts after seeing the video:

I'd be interested in seeing or hearing what was said in the lead up.

I wonder if others were being ticketed for jaywalking (especially considering the construction).

Woman seems to have a problem with one of the officers more than the other, but just based on the video segments, she seemed to put herself in that situation.

If you are jaywalking (and even if you are being singled out), refusing/failing to provide ID means you are in the wrong legally speaking.

Not sure how I feel about the felony assault on an officer. In the video, it did look as though he was reaching at her dress, and given the intensity of the situation, it could have been a knee jerk reaction on her part, not a "I'm trying to kick this guy". If I were the officer and it were left up to my discretion, I don't think I'd have charged that one.

First off...the title is a little misleading. They stopped her for Jay walking...She got herself arrested by trying to control the situation herself...then resisting when that didn't work...then kicking the officer after that didn't work.

Second...I will say that it's hard to completely judge these things based on the videos the news stations give us because they edit the heck out of them. But...based on what I saw...the officers did absolutely nothing wrong.

First off...the title is a little misleading. They stopped her for Jay walking...She got herself arrested by trying to control the situation herself...then resisting when that didn't work...then kicking the officer after that didn't work.

Second...I will say that it's hard to completely judge these things based on the videos the news stations give us because they edit the heck out of them. But...based on what I saw...the officers did absolutely nothing wrong.

Fair. If you can think of a better way to word all of that in a title in that many words or less, I'll change it.

Some points: the full 5 minute raw video is linked in the news article. I'm sure that the news station has crossed their t's and dotted i's as far as what they can legally do as far as their open records requests, editing of videos, etc. You seem to be very aware of the laws as they pertain to what officers can do, and news stations are likely going to be just as aware before they show footage or publish stories like this. If there's anything that borders into defamation of the officer, he can "have his day in court", as the saying goes.

From the perspective of someone who would be looking at the case going to trial, I don't think the officer was doing himself any favors by saying “Put your hand behind your back. I’m going to slam you on this car." When a jury hears things like that, or tape of a 911 call where a citizens calls in and says that an officer is getting way too aggressive with a citizen, a prosecutor might have some trouble getting a conviction and the officer could end up being sued himself (right or wrong, because people do bring frivolous suits despite attempts to safeguard against them).

Just like we don't know exactly how the encounter went down when the officer actually witnessed the alleged citation, we don't know exactly what the person who called 911 and made those statements saw that prompted him to take that course of action either.

I'm not trying to say the woman was right at all, I'm just saying that things like that are what a good defense attorney will grill the officer over when they put him on the stand.

Obviously, the woman appears to have escalated the situation greatly and was almost entirely at fault from what we sase and hear in the video, however when an officer is on video having a heated argument with a professor, who is a lady and of an opposite race, I think people can understand why she might be upset if she felt singled out. She is educated (as in has a doctorate, tenure track at a major university), and I have a feeling she didn't get to that point by going around raising hell or acting uncivilized, so maybe it's understandable that she might feel singled out by being cited for jaywalking across a street (that was barricaded on the other end anyway) at her own place of work and when you can even see others crossing in a similar manner, despite the presence of officers.

The function of officers is to serve and protect (and there are tons who do a great job at that), but if I were to put myself in the officer's shoes, I'd also have to give at least some consideration to the fact that without professors like her, there is no Arizona State University PD. I'm sure that she's educated enough to know that she is on a "street", as it is implied by her statement where she accuses the officer of pulling her over and saying, "do you know what this is, this is a street?". The officer might not have done anything wrong, but maybe if he were as tactful as his partner (who she seems to be far more compliant with), then the situation wouldn't have escalated to that point to begin with.

You seem to be someone who really upholds and respects the law, so I'm sure you could imagine that there are reasons for protections against profiling just the same as there are protections against jaywalking. It's her defense attorney's job to consider those and represent her to the best of her ability. It may not mean she wasn't guilty of jaywalking, but that doesn't mean that if she were profiled to be ticketed for the offense that it makes it right.

Look, police don't work in an office. Things don't always go perfect. I absolutely do not have a problem with what he told her. He warned her that her actions were going to get her slammed on the car, and she kept doing what she was doing. I think that HELPS his case.

It's not the officers job to get a conviction nor is he worried about that at the time. He's worried about his safety, his fellow officers safety, the safety of the person he's in contact with, etc. He told her what to do several times. The fact that she was LEGALLY stopped for jaywalking and given orders means she's WRONG.

A good defense attorney can grill an officer on a perfect case. Facts don't change...and based on the videos the facts are that she was wrong. Looked like to me she felt she shouldn't have been stopped. That's fine, but if you feel that way fighting with the police is not the answer. She escalated these situation and I feel like the officers showed great restraint. Imagine how hard it would be if someone wanted to fight you and keep you from doing your job on a consistent basis...especially around college students...I'd say it would be difficult to show restraint.

As for the heated argument comment? It looked like him sternly telling her what to do, and she argued with him. People argue with the police all the time. It's when she resisted that she was completely and 100% wrong. Police also have to stop, cite, arrest, etc people of the opposite race from time to time. Just because they're of the opposite race doesn't mean the police have to give them a free pass. Doesn't mean they should profile them either, but you have absolutely NOTHING supporting that argument so I don't even know why it's brought up.

Also, how were they supposed to know she's a professor? Why should they care? She isn't above the law because she's a professor. That's irrelevant, as is her education level. If anything it makes it worse that an educated person thinks that is how you should react to that type of situation.

No offense, but I think you are grasping at straws here. Police don't have to be nice to everyone. They don't have to treat them like kids. An officer being mean doesn't give you free reign to resist and assault that officer.

The only potential criticism of the police officer that I would have is if somehow she was singled out for this offense. Even then it doesn't warrant her reaction.

This is all on her.

Short, sweet, and to the point. Agreed. There's nothing to suggest he profiled her, unless I missed something?

Her lawyer said she was very intelligent but if so all she had to do was show ID and talk respectful and intelligent instead of being the one who demands. Of all the times I have had encounters with police and it's been a few, the more respect you show the more you get. Cops already have a tough and dangerous job. Her telling the cop she is a professor, so what, does that entitle her to be disrespectful? The police dont know if she is some drunk college student crossing into traffic. If you fight to police or resist you deserve to be thrown down.

If this professor is smart' date=' and there is no evidence that she is, then she will offer a heartfelt apology to the officer who arrested her and hope that she has an opportunity to plead guilty to a misdemeanor.[/quote']

:lol2:

I never understand the point in people getting combative with police officers in situations like this. Even if she was being singled out her actions hurt her case. Being combative never helps .

You'd think being a professor and in somewhat of a position of authority that she would have respect for those in authority even if she disagreed with why they charged her with jaywalking. I can't imagine any teacher at any level that would give in to a combatitive and disrespectful student. Why she should expect cops to act differently is beyond me.