ASU Professor Arrest & Federal Investigation

JokersWild24

One final question...Did anything in his past cause her to refuse what he asked her to do or to kick him when attempted to arrest her?

I think it's fair to say that whoever taught him values that seem to reflect his thinking it was okay to: bully people, that there aren't consequences for your actions after you've already been warned, whoever instilled the value in him to keep blaming others for his short-comings like he's doing in his current statements, or the people who were probably friends with his Dad that looked the other way more readily than they might have otherwise... those people or things probably had just as much to do with the situation as she did.

People who must have been out to get him:

Superior at police academy who wrote him up for untruthfulness, insubordination and code of conduct violations,

ASU graduate student who filed a formal complaint before dropping it (likely because he didn't want to be harassed),

ASU Parent who filed a formal complaint days before the Ore incident,

Pedestrian at ASU who called 911 to report concerns about Ferrin's aggressiveness during the Ore incident,

ASU's President Scholar who apparently falsified a story about being grabbed because he hit a cop,

ASU Police Investigator who reprimanded him for his handling of the incident with the graduate student,

ASU Superior Officer who told him "you do not always have to throw the book at everybody" after a complaint had been filed,

ASU Superior Officer who told him to spend less time on traffic tickets (which he apparently didn't listen to)

New ASU Police Chief,

Judge who accepted a plea deal from Ore,

Okay, let's see... did I leave anybody out?

This poor dude can't catch a break. I'd resign too.

It's like it's not occurring to you that maybe Ferrin was a jerk and escalated the thing, or that he didn't make his own bed. Given his track record and how he's acted since, I don't think it's too unreasonable to see that happening.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. You claim that others (including his parents) did a bad job of raising him and looking the other way at his indiscretions...yet as you point out he had been reprimanded already, is that looking the other way?

2. I never said anyone other than the Prof was out to get him, I do think it became politically expedient for them to side with the prof and to let him go (force to resign)

3. It occurred to me that he could have been a jerk, but in that video he doesn't escalate what happened, she did. But of course that doesn't matter, because of his past actions, right?

You are such a good internet researcher, any idea why she left a much more prestigious university like Penn St for ASU?

1. You claim that others (including his parents) did a bad job of raising him and looking the other way at his indiscretions...yet as you point out he had been reprimanded already, is that looking the other way?

2. I never said anyone other than the Prof was out to get him, I do think it became politically expedient for them to side with the prof and to let him go (force to resign)

3. It occurred to me that he could have been a jerk, but in that video he doesn't escalate what happened, she did. But of course that doesn't matter, because of his past actions, right?

You are such a good internet researcher, any idea why she left a much more prestigious university like Penn St for ASU?

Umm... probably because she just got her doctorate from Penn State and wasn't employed as more than a TA there, then Arizona State offered her tenure track and/or more money. That's just a guess though.

I didn't say anything about his parents raising him. I said that it seems as though he feels like it's fine to bully people. That might not fall on him. And if people looked the other way because of who he was, that doesn't mean their parents asked them to, maybe it just means they knew them professionally and/or personally and were afraid of making things awkward.

The dude got rid of himself. They've released his record. Complaints, write-ups, reprimands, those get people fired from their jobs when they start piling up. That's especially true when you haven't been doing it very long.

Look at the picture. This is the "street" where he "almost hit her" and wanted to cite her for jaywalking. Yes, I think he escalated things-- at least that's what a witness who was concerned enough to call 911 said, but you want to ignore the 911 call.

10489840_747963971933948_2516291716390158024_n.jpg

Read this again:

"Five days before Ore's arrest, an ASU researcher filed a complaint based on Ferrin's actions in another incident. The officer was directing traffic when he demanded the researcher's ID and threatened to arrest him for disobeying commands to use another crosswalk. That incident was handled "inappropriately," the report said, because the researcher had crossed the street legally and posed no hazard to others. Ferrin was counseled to exercise better judgment and good communication. The counseling took place before the incident involving Ore."

Ok. You still with me?

Now, if I'm a guy who has just gotten a formal complaint filed on me in the last five days, including counseling about using better judgment came to me from a superior, call me crazy, but I think I'm going to avoid being a jerk and trying to write a jaywalking ticket on a closed street.

As recently as five days before that, and he was reprimanded. Five days. I don't know what's so hard to see about that.

There's a reason the dude "resigned"... it's called the ole' "resign before you can fire me" trick. Billy Gilispie was good at it. If he tried filing a suit with what they had on him, he's delusional. People claim Ore was manipulating the media, but this kid looks like he was doing it a bit himself. Forgot to mention the past complaints, the reprimand for a similar incident five days before it, all that. He goes to the papers and it's "my wife is pregnant, I don't know what I'll do" and drumming up support from actual policemen who probably care about their job, some of which might change their mind about him the more things they learn.

WOW you know he wasn't writing a Jaywalking Ticket! He turned down that street, nearly hit her because she was in the road, told her to get out of the road, she gave him attitude, he got out and asked for her ID and she went nuts...did he go to far after that, maybe he did (but I'm not sure).

In your world every police officer should just stand down if they have a complain made against them, right?

She was a Professor at PSU, not just a TA...

Here are a couple of glowing reviews of her as a Prof...

-Race card player. Entitlement complex. She does not belong in a higher education institution with her attitude and toxic personality.

-Total fail. Avoid at all costs.

-Not well spoken for an English professor. Uses profanity n the classroom. Instructions unclear. It is hard to decipher what she wants. Avoid her class and find a worthy instructor.

-VERY bad experience. i'm almost embarrassed that ersula teaches at Penn State.

-Her grading is inconsistent. When I would meet with her to discuss the grade I received on a paper.. it seemed like she had never even read the paper before. She uses a lot of profanity. I don't think she is very intelligent. Avoid her.

She was a Professor at PSU, not just a TA...

Here are a couple of glowing reviews of her as a Prof...

-Race card player. Entitlement complex. She does not belong in a higher education institution with her attitude and toxic personality.

-Total fail. Avoid at all costs.

-Not well spoken for an English professor. Uses profanity n the classroom. Instructions unclear. It is hard to decipher what she wants. Avoid her class and find a worthy instructor.

-VERY bad experience. i'm almost embarrassed that ersula teaches at Penn State.

-Her grading is inconsistent. When I would meet with her to discuss the grade I received on a paper.. it seemed like she had never even read the paper before. She uses a lot of profanity. I don't think she is very intelligent. Avoid her.

Good job JD! You've cracked it. What random people have to say about someone anonymously carries so much weight, especially when it's someone who could have gotten a bad grade or just didn't get along with her. Find a teacher with 10 reviews and you'll probably see a few negative evaluations.

Care to address Ferrin having a formal complaint filed and being reprimanded by superiors for the same kind of behavior five days before or are we glossing over that and devolving into non sequitur arguments?

Everyone is always saying listen to the police and do what they say, and I agree. Sounds like Ferrin should have done that himself. I'd imagine the guy who had the conversation with him five days before the incident was thrilled to hear what'd happened, wouldn't you?

Good job JD! You've cracked it. What random people have to say about someone anonymously carries so much weight, especially when it's someone who could have gotten a bad grade or just didn't get along with her. Find a teacher with 10 reviews and you'll probably see a few negative evaluations.

Care to address Ferrin having a formal complaint filed and being reprimanded by superiors for the same kind of behavior five days before or are we glossing over that and devolving into non sequitur arguments?

Everyone is always saying listen to the police and do what they say, and I agree. Sounds like Ferrin should have done that himself. I'd imagine the guy who had the conversation with him five days before the incident was thrilled to hear what'd happened, wouldn't you?

Her negative reviews were around 60% not that it matters. Thank you for your condescension :thumb:

What's to address you've addressed it to death in this thread, he messed up and got reprimanded.

If she had listened and moved out of the street none of this would have happened either...even though you keep dancing around that. If his past behavior was so egregious why wasn't he pulled off of the street? Never mind don't answer that.

Sorry I said non sequitur above. I just realized that you might actually be thinking that a school like Penn State checks something like ratemyprofessor.com when making decisions on hiring and retention. Maybe that was in sequence for you since you had insinuated there was some reason she left PSU for ASU, then posted those immediately after and now that. My apologies if that's the case.

I think you're still missing the point saying, "he messed up and got reprimanded". Then five days later he messed up and got reprimanded again.

If he had listened to what his superior officers were trying to tell him (i.e., stop playing traffic cop God), then he wouldn't have been in the situation either.

I assume you don't want me to answer because he's now been pulled off the street? Or is it because they probably wish they'd done it sooner? Hmmm....

K, it's been fun, I'm out on this thread.

WOW you know he wasn't writing a Jaywalking Ticket! He turned down that street, nearly hit her because she was in the road, told her to get out of the road, she gave him attitude, he got out and asked for her ID and she went nuts...did he go to far after that, maybe he did (but I'm not sure).

In your world every police officer should just stand down if they have a complain made against them, right?

I just saw this one today, and had actually just overlooked it yesterday while we're talking. Let me say JD, my condescending tone toward you yesterday was out of line.

Succinctly, here's how I'll put this. We are talking about a young officer, one who has been linked to two formal complaints, and two controversial arrests, neither of which were the subject of those two formal complaints.

You made a quip yesterday about me "doing a lot of Internet research". Yes, I do. I have read the entire police report, and I read it critically. I've read most of the formal dismissal as well, again, critically.

I think that people are overlooking a few things: #1.) the entire confrontation was not caught on dash cam; #2.) the police report states that he left Mrs. Ore, who was wearing a dress, laying in the street, while a crowd formed, her buttocks exposed. He had just arrested her for a questionable incident. One bystander was concerned enough to call to 911 to report him (and that is neither of the two aforementioned "formal complaints".

Five days before this incident, he had been reprimanded by a supervisor for acting contrary to procedure. This was the subject of one of the two official complaints filed. He had wrongly told someone that they couldn't cross a street, when they could, and they were within their legal right to do so. Another officer who was also at the scene had to intervene in that situation. No less than five days after he's been admonished, and had an explicit conversation about his handing of traffic. This was his second violation if you include the had one during police academy.

After leaving Mrs. Ore, a professor who he'd told he'd "slam on the car" for not showing an ID (when he, like he seems to be from time to time, technically legally wrong about telling her that she "had to show an ID"). After a crowd has formed, Mrs. Ore still laying there with her dress up and for a considerable amount of time, he stood her up and reached toward her dress, which was still raised. She kicked him.

As someone who has read the police report, dismissal, things like that instead of "RateMyProfessor" as a source, I think that it's unfair that so many people are blaming Mrs. Ore for "putting herself in that situation" while consciously failing to acknowledge Ferrin's many transgressions, which included doing something that got him into trouble, not even a full week removed from an official complaint and being reprimanded by a superior, when he finds himself in the same situation again.

Mrs. Ore has a doctorate. She doesn't need his money. Honestly, what the kid is worth personally in a lawsuit is probably laughable.

I've read the police report, his report, watched parts of the court interview footage. It is ridiculous to say that "the media" got Ferrin fired. Ferrin's behavior got him fired. Agree to disagree with me if you want, but from a standpoint of Ferrin having a chance to sue them now, that's your call.

I'm not the end-all, be-all on legal theory, whatever, but I think that if you objectively look at Ferrin's record, you'll see that "the media" didn't get him fired. Part of the reasons I've given as to why he wasn't immediately fired, as someone who looks at it from the perspective of trial strategy and things like that, has been laughed at. That's cool, but that's been something that's kinda irked me about this thing, but I would like to point out that I'd said what'd happen if it went to trial and had the same kind of stuff. Ditto for what I said about someone "showing him the light" because of past infractions that hadn't been reported initially. Out of curiosity, I googled and read about it. Personally, there's probably a reason the school sat on those as long as they did, and they've played their hand fairly well through all of this too, given that at least some level of a win for them is that they are not having to pay two people.

If it were the case that the kid had a clean record, or at least not the kind of pattern that seemed to be present, then yes, I would feel sorry for him.

But honestly, this whole time, I have doubted his "I almost hit her with my car". I've doubted that from the start. If he nearly hit her, then I would question how fast he were driving on a closed street with such a low speed limit (and he was not responding to an emergency call).

Ask yourself, do people usually walk out in front of speeding cars, get told to move, and then stand and argue? Or do you think it's more likely that their attention is caught by someone driving by and they happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and Super Cop was a little gung-ho about giving a ticket, you know... the guy who had gotten himself into trouble for that within the calendar week?

He charged her with a felony that, in Arizona, is under the same statute as someone attempting to take an officer's weapon. Like his supervisor said, "you don't have to throw the book at everyone". You especially don't do it when you've been reprimanded once and have had another claim, which was completely valid, pending. You feel me?

Show me something where I've been wrong about an assumption that I've posted and show me a place where it hasn't played out similar to how I said, and we're good. I see the things you think matter, I just don't think they matter as much as you do, but yea... I see them and have considered them after reading as much as I could find on this. Agree to disagree and it's no bigs.