How to handle difficult situation

Ok here is the scenario.

My son is a upcoming Junior and he wants to play at the next level and I think he could play at a small school maybe D2 but probably NAIA or similar. He has expressed his interest to coach but seems to be falling on deaf ears. Last year he was JV starter in secondary position at safety and got zero touches at RB. This year he wants to move to the backfield and run the ball some to be able to have some game footage to send to coaches. He has been to many combines and such this spring and was invited to top 100 camp in GA where he excelled there and got an invite to top prospect elite camp next month. So I think he is more than capable if given the chance.

Problem is there is already a good RB there just attitude problems likes to skip out, he hardly ever shows up for any football activities ( conditioning and spring ball ). He says he has other things to do. He might be telling the coach something else I'm not real sure but this is what is relayed from other players. From what I understand he has no desire to play at the next level but Coach continues to play this RB despite his abnormal amount of absences and attitude.

I have tried to discuss with the coaching staff my concerns and that I would like to see him be more involved but I am told that my son needs to address the problem with the staff not myself. I 100% agree with this except it is ignored when he questions it.

So how do I get my son recruited when there is little to no support from the coaching staff at the school? We go to camps and combines as much as we can but that gets expensive real fast.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Concerned Parent

Edited by Watusi

I am sure I may step on toes, but I am just going to speak frank.

Option 1:

Transfer. If playing college ball means that much to your son and you both feel that your current school is not the proper place to foster that goal, then by all means make the decision that best sets your kid up for success and potentially a scholarship. Let's not pretend that every coach is the second coming of Vince Lombardi and there are simply some coaches out there who are not really intended to be fit to lead a program. Not saying that is the case here, but you have to do what will ultimately be the best thing for your son and his future. With this there is work. You will have to legitimately move to change your address unless there is an Independent or Private School nearby.

Option 2:

Take the old fashioned approach and make your son prove he is better than the player who doesn't want to put forth the effort. I am going to assume you live in KY, in which case players capable of playing Division 2 ball do not grow on trees. Usually the Class of the Commonwealth is littered with NAIA players and that is the State's Top 22 players.. if your son is truly a D-2 prospect or greater he should be on par with the truly elite players in the State and have no issue outperforming the guy who is going through the motions ahead of him on the roster. Have him call his shot and tell the Coaching Staff he is the better player that will help them win and that he deserves the starting spot, then go out this Summer and prove it.

Option 3:

Continue to self-recruit. Make it your passion to do everything to get his name out there. Send letters, post videos, network. Eat, sleep, breathe it and in turn expect your kid to hold up his end of the bargain and never let up this entire season. When he is on the field he has to play like he is worthy of being recruited. Just remember talent always shines.

Well, being a basketball guy and not a football guy, I can't speak specifics on football, but here are my general thoughts.

Now, just like basketball camps I am quite sure there are different levels of football camps. Some much better than others. So, taking you at your word that your son exceled at a recent camp the way you said he did, and ASSUMING it was a legit camp with good, high quality players in attendance and very competitive...then I would say bring this evidence to the coach's attention and see what he has to say about it, and let the coaching staff know that you believe your son can help the team in multiple ways.

Let me also say this. Everything else being equal, most if not every coach out there wants the best players he can get in the positions that help the team the most. If a coach isn't doing this then I'm not sure how he stays a coach for long. But you also have to realize, if player A might be a pretty good RB, but he helps the team more at LB and maybe really isn't needed at RB cause they have one every bit as good or maybe even a little better...well then LB just might be what player A plays most of the time and maybe player A should concentrate on being the best LB he can be. Just my thoughts.

Edited by BigVMan23

Like ATLCat said, I too might catch some heat, but just going to cut right to it so that maybemyself and some others can give you some advice.

.....these camps, were they truly invite or were they one of these things like many out there who send camp "invites" to everybody?

What size school are we talking about here and how have they done?

My original thoughts are this:

He just finished up his sophomore year where he sounds like he was a major contributor? Sounds par for the course if at bigger and/or solid program of any class.

Secondly, if he was that much better or as good as this other kid, I have a feeling he would have gotten some more touches and being looked at more for that role in this upcoming year.

Third, how do you know that this other kid has an attitude problem? Are you therr at practice? On the sidelimes? The offseason isnt mandatory...legally..it cant be, which includes spring practice. This kid could miss bc of other sports or it could just be one of these things where he just knows he is better (not advovating this way of thinking, just throwing that out there). Now, if this is a kid who misses a lot comeJuly 15th, then the coach is opening up a whole big can of worms there.

The creme always rises. I wouldnt be to worried. Have your son keep grinding.

Also, (and, not insinuating that you/your son do this in conversations with the coach), but never bring up another player (someone elses child), as I know you wouldnt appreciate a coach discussing your son with another parent (unless its something serious that needs to be brought to attention).

Sounds to me like you both just need to keep on keeping on. It will all come together.

I have tried to discuss with the coaching staff my concerns and that I would like to see him be more involved but i am told that my son needs to address the problem with the staff not myself. I 100% agree with this except it is ignored when he questions it.

I hate to think a coaching staff would not address a question from a player on how they could win the position, but the player must speak with the coaches, not the parents.

Small colleges need Safeties and DBs too. Might be one running back who gets 90% of the carries. They need at least four secondary players on the field. If he started JV as a Soph at Safety why the need to move to the backfield? Seems like he would be in the running at the very least for some Varsity time in the secondary.

Small colleges need Safeties and DBs too. Might be one running back who gets 90% of the carries. They need at least four secondary players on the field. If he started JV as a Soph at Safety why the need to move to the backfield? Seems like he would be in the running at the very least for some Varsity time in the secondary.

Totally agree try another position.

Tell your son to focus on what he can control- his attitude and effort. This may be a tough situation, but if he can learn to control what he can control and understand which things are out of his control, it will pay big dividends for him in the future.

I know that is not what you are looking for, but it is one way to keep your sanity during tough times.

For what it is worth, usually this stuff works itself out.

Ok here is the scenario.

my son is a upcoming Junior and he wants to play at the next level and I think he could play at a small school maybe D2 but prolly NAIA or similar. He has expressed his interest to coach but seems to be falling on deaf ears. last year he was JV starter in secondary position at safety and got zero touches at RB. This year he wants to move to the backfield and run the ball some to be able to have some game footage to send to coaches. He has been to many combines and such this spring and was invited to top 100 camp in GA where he excelled there and got an invite to top prospect elite camp next month. So I think he is more than capable if given the chance.

Problem is there is already a good RB there just attitude problems likes to skip out, he hardly ever shows up for any football activities ( conditioning and spring ball ). He says he has other things to do. He might be telling the coach something else im not real sure but this is what is relayed from other players. From what i understand he has no desire to play at the next level but Coach continues to play this RB despite his abnormal amount of absences and attitude.

I have tried to discuss with the coaching staff my concerns and that I would like to see him be more involved but i am told that my son needs to address the problem with the staff not myself. I 100% agree with this except it is ignored when he questions it.

So how do I get my son recruited when there is little to no support from the coaching staff at the school? We go to camps and combines as much as we can but that gets expensive real fast.

Any suggestions?

thanks

Concerned Parent

The bolded: Just because your son wants to play at the next level, does not really mean anything to the coach. Just because someone else does not want to play at the next level does not mean anything to the coach.

Coaches are concerned about the here and now and setting up the team to win games.

Good luck. All the best to your son. I really hope he reaches his goals. But don't expect the coach to help him reach his goals. That's my opinion.

:ohbrother: :no: :isurrender:

Keep in mind I am not saying what is right or wrong, simply providing options to the OP's situation.

I would love to be a football romantic where everyone had pride in the school district they grew up in but it truly is a different time and culture. I truly wish that culture still existed in its pure form. Recruiting is a different animal and the OP made this very clear in his post that his son's desire is to play on the next level.

Unfortunately in this new landscape hard work and being a team player has taken a backseat to highlight films, stat lines, and exposure. If the kid is desperate to play college football and get a scholarship and the father is supporting this then it is completely realistic that what may be their best option is to find the place where there is a fresh start and a better fit.

Keep in mind I am not saying what is right or wrong, simply providing options to the OP's situation.

I would love to be a football romantic where everyone had pride in the school district they grew up in but it truly is a different time and culture. I truly wish that culture still existed in its pure form. Recruiting is a different animal and the OP made this very clear in his post that his son's desire is to play on the next level.

Unfortunately in this new landscape hard work and being a team player has taken a backseat to highlight films, stat lines, and exposure. If the kid is desperate to play college football and get a scholarship and the father is supporting this then it is completely realistic that what may be their best option is to find the place where there is a fresh start and a better fit.

Maybe he was taken back by this sentence

You will have to legitimately move to change your address unless there is an Independent or Private School nearby

By rule, the bylaw dealing with transfers is the same no matter if you transfer to a public, private or independent school.