Calipari turns down Cavs offer

NKY Bandit

Cleveland is a horrible job because it's a terrible organization. Lebron ain't coming back and I'm betting Kyrie jumps ship as soon as he can. There's a reason they keep getting #1 picks. If this offer had come from the Lakers King Rex would be smoking a cigar right now tweetin "I told you so".

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With this team having so much depth (although they lack a dynamic scorer), a pre-season #1 ranking and the odds that 5-8 guys could bolt for the NBA next season, this could be his last season in Lexington.

Maybe he wants one more championship at UK before moving on. He always wanted the upper hand over Pitino anyway.

On second thought, could be a master recruiter manipulating the situation. People talking about Donavan to the NBA, Cal had to get his name out there. His decision to stay for less $ could be a ploy to current/future players to prove that sometimes the $ isn't the most important thing.

I'd guess that we'll hear something about UK approaching Cal with the extension instead of it being a result of the Cavs offer. Either way, I tend to think a little less of Cal over it. He's said repeatedly that he has the best job in America and it wasn't about $. Why flirt with Cleveland if you're happy where you are now.

Somewhere Rex and Wilbon are smirking. :no:

Think less of Cal? Why? I am as big of a UK fan as they come however we have to realize that UK is a top job it also is a very tough job. Of coarse he says he has the best job in America. He is perfect at knowing things to say that UK fans will love and eat up. As much as we fans may not want to believe it. This job as Cal said when he was hired is a job where a coach probably could only handle for ten years at most. We probably will never have a coach again that stays longer than ten years at most.

Edited by gold sunrise
Rule#13

This job offer is beginning to sound more and more like it was an attempt to lure LBJ back to Cleveland. I can't see LBJ going back to Cleveland while he still has good years left in him....maybe the end of his career to make a victory lap around the league. However, if the Cavs had made a better selection last year (Noel?) to go along with Kyrie and Parker this year, the Cavs look like a much better team.

So. Does this make Cal a 'good guy' for staying at UK or just another coach playing one job vs. another to get a raise?

The latter. He will bolt when he gets the offer he's looking for. Who thinks he stayed for his deep and abiding love for the university? lol Not saying he's wrong, he will always do what's best for Cal not UK. He's not Joe Hall, for goodness sakes.

Coach Cal was a mediocre NBA coach at best. His strength is recruiting and unfortunately for him, recruiting is not really a skill that is needed at the NBA level. I hope that UK did not sweeten its offer based on the threat of him leaving for the NBA. The Cavs can do better and Coach Cal is much better suited for his current job.