Calipari turns down Cavs offer

NKY Bandit

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So. Does this make Cal a 'good guy' for staying at UK or just another coach playing one job vs. another to get a raise?

While I believe Cal is a good guy, he was notorious for using other job openings to get more money at Memphis. I don't think coaches are wrong for doing this, but I believe that's what Calipari has done.

I love Cal at Kentucky, but honestly, he should've taken it, if that's really what was being offered IMO. Kyrie, Wiggins, possibly LeBron, and he'd be in charge of basketball operations? Players would consider going to Cleveland simply to play for him.

I'd guess that we'll hear something about UK approaching Cal with the extension instead of it being a result of the Cavs offer. Either way, I tend to think a little less of Cal over it. He's said repeatedly that he has the best job in America and it wasn't about $. Why flirt with Cleveland if you're happy where you are now.

Somewhere Rex and Wilbon are smirking. :no:

I love Cal at Kentucky, but honestly, he should've taken it, if that's really what was being offered IMO. Kyrie, Wiggins, possibly LeBron, and he'd be in charge of basketball operations? Players would consider going to Cleveland simply to play for him.

He would only go somewhere if he knew he could win immediately. A LeBron-less Cavaliers team, which is what Cleveland will be next year, isn't going to win to the degree that Cal desires IMO.

I do, however, believe if Calipari leaves UK, it will be after the 2014-15 season.

He would only go somewhere if he knew he could win immediately. A LeBron-less Cavaliers team, which is what Cleveland will be next year, isn't going to win to the degree that Cal desires IMO.

I do, however, believe if Calipari leaves UK, it will be after the 2014-15 season.

I think he's gone after this coming season, specifically if it ends the way he probably thinks it will.

BTW, leaving UK in mid June would put that program in a huge bind. Evaluation period is over, recruits are scheduling visits and now you have to hire a coach late in the game. Basically, you would lose an entire recruiting class.

We'll see if Mitch is worth is salt with the next hire. He better be working on a short list for next year.

When you look at what was being offered though, that's really tough to turn down. He would have had a lot of power and the number one pick in the draft. I know he would have worked for Gilbert but this is probably as perfect situation you could come into.

A lot of uncertainty in Cleveland, IMO. You get the #1 pick, have Kyrie for another year before he bolts and no guarantee that LBJ is coming home. Cal has said he wasn't excited about building a program in the NBA. I doubt that guys would flock to Cleveland just to be coached by him.

Maybe the Cavs just set the asking price for the Lakers next season.

Also, it sounded as if this extension was done after the national championship game in April. I don't think he played UK at all

Could be. Would love to see the timing of all this.

On KSR, Cal says the extension was done in April.