Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Calipari turns down Cavs offer

Featured Replies

So, you dismiss the +28 game turnaround performance that Spoelstra delivered in his rookie season and make excuses for Calipari's 39% winning percentage and firing after less than 2-1/2 seasons.

 

The Nets' record during the 95-96 season was 30-52. In Calipari's first season, the Nets won only 26 games.

 

Make all the excuses for Calipari that you want, but the Nets made the right decision when they cut him loose and Miami made a good call with Spoelstra.

 

Not the point. The point is that Lebron and Bosh went to Miami to play with Wade not to be coached by Spoelstra. To act as though today's UK players wouldn't want to play for Calipari in the pros because of what happened the last time he was there is naive.

  • Replies 119
  • Views 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder how the NBA would really handle something like that though. I could see them dropping the hammer on it pretty hard. Not saying that they would, just saying that I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up doing so.

 

I'm not sure what you mean right here. The NBA would drop the hammer on what?

Not the point. The point is that Lebron and Bosh went to Miami to play with Wade not to be coached by Spoelstra. To act as though today's UK players wouldn't want to play for Calipari in the pros because of what happened the last time he was there is naive.
I never said that former UK players would not want to play for Calipari. What I said was that they would not flock to Cleveland to play for him. I never even implied that Calipari's former UK players would be opposed to playing for him.

 

Calipari's NBA record is less than stellar and no team that hires him will be foolish enough to believe that stars will line up to accept salary cuts just for the opportunity to hold a UK Wildcat reunion hosted by their former coach.

 

Nice try at spinning my position to win a debate. I give you an A+ for effort. :lol2:

So, you dismiss the +28 game turnaround performance that Spoelstra delivered in his rookie season and make excuses for Calipari's 39% winning percentage and firing after less than 2-1/2 seasons.

 

The Nets' record during the 95-96 season was 30-52. In Calipari's first season, the Nets won only 26 games.

 

Make all the excuses for Calipari that you want, but the Nets made the right decision when they cut him loose and Miami made a good call with Spoelstra.

 

Red Auerbach would have lost 50 games with the 96-97 Nets roster. Kendall Gill and Kerry Kittles aren't winning anything as the two best players on a roster. But no need for reality to get in the way here.

 

The Heat lost a ton in 08 because Wade and Shaq combined to play 84 games. Wade played 79 games in 09 and poof they were suddenly better. Is your stance really going to be the guy on the bench made a difference between 08 and 09? Really??? :lol2:

Cal made the playoffs with a starting lineup of Kerry Kittles, Kendall Gill, Keith VanHorn, Sam Cassell and Jayson Williams and a bench led by Chris Gatling and Sherman Douglas. How in the hell did he win 43 games with that mess... :lol2:

Cal made the playoffs with a starting lineup of Kerry Kittles, Kendall Gill, Keith VanHorn, Sam Cassell and Jayson Williams and a bench led by Chris Gatling and Sherman Douglas. How in the hell did he win 43 games with that mess... :lol2:
Calipari won four fewer games in his first season than Butch Beard did in the season that cost him his job and gave Coach Cal his shot. After getting swept in the first round of the playoffs, Calipari started the next season 3-17 before he was fired. Yep, that is an amazing resume.

 

It is impossible to make the case that Calipari was anything but mediocre in his very brief NBA coaching career. If he is smart, Calipari will retire at UK.

Calipari won four fewer games in his first season than Butch Beard did in the season that cost him his job and gave Coach Cal his shot. After getting swept in the first round of the playoffs, Calipari started the next season 3-17 before he was fired. Yep, that is an amazing resume.

 

It is impossible to make the case that Calipari was anything but mediocre in his very brief NBA coaching career. If he is smart, Calipari will retire at UK.

 

He was rebuilding the worst franchise in the East when he got the job. To compare that to Spoelstra getting the keys to a Heat franchise with a healthy Wade is laughable. If you aren't going to take circumstance in to consideration, there is no point continuing to debate the topic...

I'm not sure what you mean right here. The NBA would drop the hammer on what?

 

Collusion and/or allegations of tampering.

He was rebuilding the worst franchise in the East when he got the job. To compare that to Spoelstra getting the keys to a Heat franchise with a healthy Wade is laughable. If you aren't going to take circumstance in to consideration, there is no point continuing to debate the topic...
And if you are not going to take records into account, there is no point continuing to debate the topic...
Collusion and/or allegations of tampering.

 

I was speaking on them making those moves as free agents. I figured that was implied when I made my post.

And if you are not going to take records into account' date=' there is no point continuing to debate the topic...[/quote']

 

So you think records are more about coaching than the talent on the roster??? :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I never said that former UK players would not want to play for Calipari. What I said was that they would not flock to Cleveland to play for him. I never even implied that Calipari's former UK players would be opposed to playing for him.

 

Calipari's NBA record is less than stellar and no team that hires him will be foolish enough to believe that stars will line up to accept salary cuts just for the opportunity to hold a UK Wildcat reunion hosted by their former coach.

 

Nice try at spinning my position to win a debate. I give you an A+ for effort. :lol2:

 

Wait, what? I thought that was exactly why Cleveland wanted to hire him. His ties to CAA and WWW, not his acumen for being an X's and O's guy, is the primary reason most places would consider him.

 

When it comes to a power-broker in the world of basketball, there are few you'd want in your corner before Cal.

I never said that former UK players would not want to play for Calipari. What I said was that they would not flock to Cleveland to play for him. I never even implied that Calipari's former UK players would be opposed to playing for him.

 

Calipari's NBA record is less than stellar and no team that hires him will be foolish enough to believe that stars will line up to accept salary cuts just for the opportunity to hold a UK Wildcat reunion hosted by their former coach.

 

Nice try at spinning my position to win a debate. I give you an A+ for effort. :lol2:

 

 

I said UK players that played for Cal would be interested in playing for Cal regardless of the city is in. You said no because of money. I said they'll make their money regardless if they are good enough.

Wait, what? I thought that was exactly why Cleveland wanted to hire him. His ties to CAA and WWW, not his acumen for being an X's and O's guy, is the primary reason most places would consider him.

 

When it comes to a power-broker in the world of basketball, there are few you'd want in your corner before Cal.

 

Truth.

 

Good luck breaking that down for him. He thinks Wall won't play for him because of his previous NBA record and endorsement possibilities.

I was speaking on them making those moves as free agents. I figured that was implied when I made my post.

 

My bad.

 

I'm speaking from the standpoint of the league seeing what had happened after the fact, hearing all of the other franchise's complaints, then retroactively investigating what types of assurances he had before he took any job and/or whether there were any dealings made that weren't in conformity with any league rules right down to the letter of the law.

 

 

 

From the whole punishment on the Joe Smith "secret deal" in Minnesota (cost them 4 straight 1st round draft picks) to the NBA denying the Garnett to the Clippers trade this year, there's some precedence for the league coming down on that type of thing.

 

Just look at the luxury tax and how the CBA has shifted after the "Big 3". The rest of the league has used their voting powers to try and keep anyone from getting any kind of competitive advantage.

 

If the league is fining Jay Z for being in a college locker room (though a token fine to the Nets) or looking into how Danny Ainge ended up sitting near the Durant family at a Big XII tournament game in 2007, you can bet that they'd be very leery of Calipari coming in and upsetting the balance of the league (unless he did it for one of their "chosen" franchises and/or he and CAA were shrewd enough to play everything just so, which I don't doubt at all either).

 

Last summer, there were 3 teams fined for tampering, and you can only imagine that'd be ramped up incredibly if Cal was able to come from the college ranks and start pulling huge triumphs in free agency. I don't know how specifically they'd enforce it, but I'd bet there'd be some reactionary measures put in place if he were able to. The wheels on that train already started turning with the Heat's ability to get LeBron and Bosh.

 

 

 

The bizarre saga of Joe Smith?s illegal Minnesota Timberwolves contract | For The Win

 

NBA will likely block a Kevin Garnett trade to the Clippers - CelticsBlog

 

NBA fines three teams for tampering

 

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sports/basketball/nba-owners-accuse-miami-heat-of-tampering/nL8P3/

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.