Competitive balance

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So let me get this right...EVERY athlete then will have or be assigned some sort of athletic "score". The cumulative score of a schools combined athletes for a given sport will then be tallied. Conferences/classes will then be hashed out depending on the score, regardless of a schools size. Is this the gist of it? All I can say is...wow.

Those guys just made themselves a job for the next 10 years.

Khsaa would never get that done.

Anyway Spending 100's of thousands of dollars for forever to find a way around getting rid of private schools from public school athletic associations is pure idioicy.

Another thread on here talks about all the factors of kids. Any kid who goes to a private school has none of those issues.

So having just glanced at it, let me ask what would be stopping a school to whittling down their roster to purposely drop to a lower class? For instance, say Graves County, a school that can fetch 80 players, decides they'd rather just take the 40 best and dip down lower in class. Is that possible under this plan?

So having just glanced at it, let me ask what would be stopping a school to whittling down their roster to purposely drop to a lower class? For instance, say Graves County, a school that can fetch 80 players, decides they'd rather just take the 40 best and dip down lower in class. Is that possible under this plan?

Isn't this exactly what cheerleading and band do?

I have no clue whatsoever about that. I guess I'm just wondering if there comes a point where a school decides it would be better to have the 40 best rather than have some extra depth that might bring them into the crosshairs of some dominant programs.

Bands used to do that. Now they are classified by the school enrollment not the number in the band. A big school could take their top 50 band kids and compete in a smaller class in the past.

I suggest we watch this Ohio implosion, and leave our system alone for now.

If we do anything, realign every two years with two years data. We are dealing with huge population shifts do to economic factors.

Nothing would stop it past maybe parent/school pressure. Football is one of the few noncut sports in HS. It most cases if you are willing to do the work you're on the team. Now that doesn't mean you'll play but you are on the roster. So jv football would become more important. Now if something happens that jv player gets called up to play.

Honestly past the teams that two platoon or sub a good deal how many players is a team going to use? I bet if you look many teams are only playing about 30 kids or so. Some teams even in 6A are only playing 20 kids or so.

I know cheerleading will do that for the competitions.

i.e. 18-20 on the squad, but only 12 will be used in competition so that they can be in the smaller class/division/group/whatever they call it.