Competitive balance

I begg to differ on the teams having a greater conditioning program vs the ones who don't. Give you one GREAT example. Johnson Central was a BEAST last season. Big boys along the line, but not cardio balanced. Cov Catholic came rolling into with their small, quicker but athletic team and ran circle around the tired bigs. I can give you FT Highlands, Boyle Co, John Hardin example as well. We can level the field by " it's not about how bad you want it, it's about how HARD you're willing to work for it".

Geez.......

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have this somewhere, can't find it at the moment, and if I can't, Ill go back and do it again (or anybody else can).

But, from 1998-2012, 144 schools played for KHSAA Football State Titles.....of those 144, all but 20 fell into the following categories"

1) Private

2) Independent (I'll just go ahead and say one of them...not a whole lot of barns IN Mayfield, Owensboro's, Highlands, Corbin, Danville's, etc)

3) "county" schools who are in communities with over 30K population (ie: Collins)

Of the 20 who buck this system:

- Breathitt County (2)

-Franklin-Simpson (1)

-Caldwell County (2)

-Boyle County (9-10 of these)

-Allen Co. Scottsville (1)

...somebody can help me fill in the others I'm sure.

Legally (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but via the KHSAA, you can't technically make anything before July 15th mandatory.

With that said...I know several who impose the "So the offseason is optional, my so is the option on my end not to play you."

Agreed, but what I meant by off season is when your team is out of the playoffs and the off lifting and conditioning begins, which is around after the kids gets back from Xmas break to the time that of dead period. Unless your playing another sports in the winter and spring, make it mandatory for the kids to come out and get bigger, faster, and shed some flub. OK maybe not mandatory but HIGHLY suggested. Which we all know that kids still will not attend, right????

I have this somewhere' date=' can't find it at the moment, and if I can't, Ill go back and do it again (or anybody else can). But, from 1998-2012, 144 schools played for KHSAA Football State Titles.....of those 144, all but 20 fell into the following categories" 1) Private 2) Independent (I'll just go ahead and say one of them...not a whole lot of barns IN Mayfield, Owensboro's, Highlands, Corbin, Danville's, etc)

There you go Harry. Would love to take it a step further and put the OH point system on those 124 teams. Would be interesting.

I have this somewhere, can't find it at the moment, and if I can't, Ill go back and do it again (or anybody else can).

But, from 1998-2012, 144 schools played for KHSAA Football State Titles.....of those 144, all but 20 fell into the following categories"

1) Private

2) Independent (I'll just go ahead and say one of them...not a whole lot of barns IN Mayfield, Owensboro's, Highlands, Corbin, Danville's, etc)

3) "county" schools who are in communities with over 30K population (ie: Collins)

Of the 20 who buck this system:

- Breathitt County (2)

-Franklin-Simpson (1)

-Caldwell County (2)

-Boyle County (9-10 of these)

-Allen Co. Scottsville (1)

...somebody can help me fill in the others I'm sure.

What?

My school district took a 240K state cut last year...explain where the money should come from? Rich parents???

Highlands doesn't even have a weight room big enough to hold their kids. I would go so far as to say they have the WORST off-season facilities for ANY team who has won a title. How do they do it with no money?

Money isn't the answer. If it was schools like Etown-Cov Cath-O'Cath-Pikeville....etc. Would win it every year. You are still missing it. JIMMY'S and JOE's!!!! I heard this by a very good private school coach at a clinic once. If my X is just flat better than your o, then it don't matter what you do...I will beat you nearly every time. It is what it is!

This thread is hijacking itself!! LOL. How would KY fare with Ohio's point system? How exactly does it work?

I disagree..its all about commitment from the school boards. Put your $$ where your mouth is. Either you want to compete or not.

Boone County and Ryle High Schools answer to the same school board. Boone plays on a grass field with weights dumped into a locker room that is supposed to do for a training facility. Ryle has a modern turf field and stadium, modern training facilities and practice fields Boone's facilities have not been upgraded in 50 years.

Boone County and Ryle High Schools answer to the same school board. Boone plays on a grass field with weights dumped into a locker room that is supposed to do for a training facility. Ryle has a modern turf field and stadium, modern training facilities and practice fields Boone's facilities have not been upgraded in 50 years.

Where do you think the superintendent sends his kids?

Invest in your program...you don't think the quality of coaching and facilities at X, Trinity and other top programs in the state don't make a difference. There is always an exception to the rule..but X won't beat O without out great coaching. Again there is no one thing that makes a winning program..there is no "I" in team. It takes everything to make a winning program year in and year out.

Invest in your program...you don't think the quality of coaching and facilities at X, Trinity and other top programs in the state don't make a difference. There is always an exception to the rule..but X won't beat O without out great coaching. Again there is no one thing that makes a winning program..there is no "I" in team. It takes everything to make a winning program year in and year out.

They do make some difference...but put either of those "great" staffs in a school that just went 0-11 and I would bet the result is the same, closer games? Maybe, but 0-11 will still be the result. Put those same kids that went 0-11 in those facilities...and you still get 0-11. Put the X/T kids in the school and under the staff that went 0-11...and they wont be 0-11, I promise. Bottom line...Jimmy's and Joe's make the major difference? The ONLY difference? NO, but as my old coach used to say: don't urinate down my back and tell me it's raining either :) ALL of those other things contribute to the success, but none more than PLAYERS. There are many exceptions. Quite a few schools go to state championships or have 10+ win seasons with poor facilities...etc. But what do they usually have? Kids who can flat play. Too many examples prove that point right around the state, not just X/T. Just so we are clear, I'm not picking on the private kids, you keep bringing them up as the end all and my point is the number 1 factor in any program (regardelss of all other factors) will always be who's on the feild. All other factors are necessary, but not equivalent.

Edited by mcpapa