Indiana

Serious question for anyone who may know. Obviously, as long as your team is still playing you may practice. But, if you decline an invitation to a post-season tournament, can you practice during the post-season?

Seems like turning down an offer to play in the CBI would be counter-productive to the program from a player development standpoint if you potentially lose another two or three weeks of practice and a chance to maybe play a few more games.

I get it's an anti climatic tournament, and the fans won't support it, etc. But I liken this to a bowl bid in football. So often I hear college football coaches talk about how much the extra month of practice helps them as much as the experience of playing in bowl X, Y, or Z.

Am I missing something here, or is this a fair comparison?

Loved it last year when Cal took the NIT bid and said basically, that's what we are right now, we are an NIT team. Own it, and go get better.

You have to PAY to participate in the CBI and CIT, while also losing a ton of money as you don't have the NCAA paying for your travel. You have to guarantee a bunch of money to host, and then, as you can imagine, you play in front of friends and family.

No, you can't practice if you decline. However, with the rule allowing individual workouts in the summer, this "penalty" isn't has harsh as it used to be.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to PAY to participate in the CBI and CIT, while also losing a ton of money as you don't have the NCAA paying for your travel. You have to guarantee a bunch of money to host, and then, as you can imagine, you play in front of friends and family.

No, you can't practice if you decline. However, with the rule allowing individual workouts in the summer, this "penalty" isn't has harsh as it used to be.

What kind of revenue would you expect the school to bring in with a CBI game/game(s)? Would it even begin to offset everything?

I will admit, I'm a little shocked they weren't invited to the NIT. Figured the NIT would have liked to have the name there. Any reason?

With all the regular season champions that lost their conference tournaments (I forget how long ago the NIT adopted that rule) getting automatic bids, as well as all the teams with solid records that were just outside being good enough to make the tournament, there were only like six or seven NIT bids floating around. Doesn't leave much for that committee to work with. Indiana was only a couple games over .500 and didn't have enough to make the cut.

What kind of revenue would you expect the school to bring in with a CBI game/game(s)? Would it even begin to offset everything?

I can't imagine who pays to watch CBI games. Neither can most ADs, I'd think. That's why several prominent schools declined invitations including Indiana, UNLV and Marquette.

Completely depends on your revenue streams surrounding Mens' Basketball. At a school where you keep all parking / concessions / tickets, and you think you can generate a decent crowd, maybe it works. At a school where an ARAMARK makes all of the concessions (minus a fee to the school) and you pay an SMG a fee for running the building, you probably have no shot to make a dime. Every school is different, but I'd say buy and large, for a CBI game your crowd is going to blow, so the PR alone from an empty house makes it not worth it.

I can't imagine who pays to watch CBI games. Neither can most ADs, I'd think. That's why several prominent schools declined invitations including Indiana, UNLV and Marquette.

Indiana's AD said it wasn't the money. Several IU alum have been very unhappy with Crean and the season (Other seasons , too.). Recruiting fine, Fundamentals horrible. Lousy fourth quarters. Glad the season is over.

Serious question for anyone who may know. Obviously, as long as your team is still playing you may practice. But, if you decline an invitation to a post-season tournament, can you practice during the post-season?

Seems like turning down an offer to play in the CBI would be counter-productive to the program from a player development standpoint if you potentially lose another two or three weeks of practice and a chance to maybe play a few more games.

I get it's an anti climatic tournament, and the fans won't support it, etc. But I liken this to a bowl bid in football. So often I hear college football coaches talk about how much the extra month of practice helps them as much as the experience of playing in bowl X, Y, or Z.

Am I missing something here, or is this a fair comparison?

Loved it last year when Cal took the NIT bid and said basically, that's what we are right now, we are an NIT team. Own it, and go get better.

I know from personal experience that no matter if your team has made the post season or not, you can still practice right up until the National Championship game for your division. A team can go 0-28, 3-24, 15-15 or 29-1 (with that one loss coming in the postseason) and still get to practice once their season has concluded and they can practice as a team right until that national title game. Obviously the only restriction to this is the division since D3 ends a week before D2 and D1 ends a couple weeks before D1.