All A revisit!

You are kind of all over the place on some of your points. First, you say coaches and players have a problem with motivation after the All-A and then you say the teams that do well in the All-A generally do well in the full Region competition. So are you saying the also-rans get all geared up for the All-A? If so, that goes against your point that the tourney is only worthwhile for the teams that can compete in the Region. You point out NCC Girls coach mentioning the All-A instead of the regular season? What is there to mention about the regular season other than District seeding games? And even those don't really matter as long as you are a #1 or #2 seed. Not sure how NCC with 375 students should prepare for 1600 students Butler other than by playing the best schedule they can which would include meeting some quality teams in the Region and State All-A.

And once again for the 845th time you or anyone else are free to start an ALL-3A/4A tourney for all those "100s of teams and 1000s of students" that do not have the opportunity that the All-A provides.

First bolded - The point is they can typically compete in the regular region. They don't need a second opportunity to compete. However, in my statement, both are true. They do compete and they do have a let down right after the All A. I don't see that statement as a contradiction. As far as the also rans, I can only speak for the ones around here. But I don't get the impression they get too "geared up" for the All A like the top two or three do. I think its really just another game or two on their schedule and then they get demolished by the schools that are competive regardless of size.

As far as the coach pointing out the All A...I thought the All A was "just another tournament". Is it or not? That is my point. Why is it so high on the goal list. Others want to compare the all A to "just another tournament". Well I know many teams play in other tournaments and I don't think they have those "other tournaments" on the top of their goal list. And I agree, the top goals should be seeding games, district tournament and the region and the real state tournament. Not the All A. So we're in agreement there right?

Not sure where you're going with the Butler example. One I would ask, does NCC take pride in being considered a good bball program? I know the answer. It's yes they do. So either you are a good program or you're not, regardless of size. I'm not a fan of using the size for good and then turning around and using it as an excuse. Some schools want you to know how great of a program they have and then turn around and say "how do you expect us to compete with our size". Either you're a good program and have proved you can compete or you're not. And if anything, my point was proved by the result of the NCC/Butler game. NCC (a team that deserves a second opportunity) played Butler closer than any other team in the state and probably could have won it without a very small let down in the late minutes of the 4th qtr or if they could have hit a couple more free throws. So they absolutely proved they can prepare and compete with the best. Maybe not every year, but who can??? Is that a reason to have an All A segmented tournament for them and the others (that can compete)???

As for the last bolded...so I assume you started it for the A teams right. Or was it someone else that provided you an opportunity. I want someone to do it for me! :lol2: Sound familiar? Someone provide me and my daughter an opportunity! Come on! It's not fair that I have to start it and it's not fair for my daughter and her mid-size school to have to compete on the high level. Please, it's not fair! In all honesty, I would never start is as long as KY believes and it committed to the KHSAA state championship format. That's what we do in KY, not go off and create other state championships because it's not fair. Either have classes or don't! Don't create classes for some. I like it the way it is. One champion. Just because a few small schools feel they can never compete doesn't mean you go out and create another state event. Because the teams that are consistently the winners of the second event, have just as much chance of winning the real state as 90% of the schools in the state anyway. Every year there are really only an handfull of teams that have a chance. And most of the schools in the state (regardless of size) have never had a chance to win state. Why the need to segment out anyone? State championships should be hard to get! Why doesn't anyone want to play by the rules set for everyone and earn things anymore? We feel like we need to make things up so people don't get their feelings hurt or don't have a chance to get instant success. That's not how life is!

Just for the record, I think NCC, Holy Cross, Walton, GC and Brossart do an outstanding job staying competitive. I have given NCC and Brossart props many times for that. I was rooting my tail off for NCC as I was watching the state tournament. I have several friends from both schools and have the utmost respect for both and how they do things. Sometimes I'm amazed at how they do it. But I don't like the "poor little us" mentality that you do get from some fans. Everyone has reasons for ups and downs. That mentality sends a perception that you are always trying to prove yourselves. In my mind, both those schools are proven...I don't care how many students you have. You're going to have good years and bad years. But so does every school. Don't talk on the level of big schools when things are going well and then fall back on the "poor little us" when things don't go well. Either be a big time program or don't. In my mind you are.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RCC9: Count me in the group that would love to do away with the All-A .............if the state would go to classification in Basketball (And Baseball, Volleyball, Softball, Soccer, Golf, Tennis) just like KY is in Football, Track and Field, and Cross Country.

Why does Football and Track and Cross Country get to be classified? Why do all the small schools get to experience State Championships in those sports? Doesn't Highlands have a boatload of State Titles in Football, Girls Track and Girls Cross Country? Wouldn't it be great if the Softball and Baseball teams could have that experience too?

So maybe instead of having someone start a All-3A/4A tourney for you we should all push for classification? It is the best of all worlds. No more All-As giving kids glory and with classification all kids can have glory.

The All A isn't even a KSHAA Sponsored Event...I really don't understand why someone is so "tore up" over it's existence. Maybe the fact that the events are ran like quasi state championships is what upsets some.

The All A is simply a small school invitational in which all small schools are invited to participate. Just like the LIT or any Holiday

tourney just on a much larger scale.

Until NCC first boys basketball team won the all a the other sports were not rewarded if they won say the State indoor track meet because it wasn't sactioned. They only started recognizing non sactioned events after the boys won their first all a., for years the answer always given by the NCC administration was if it wasn't sanctioned no recognition.

The All A isn't even a KSHAA Sponsored Event...I really don't understand why someone is so "tore up" over it's existence. Maybe the fact that the events are ran like quasi state championships is what upsets some.

The All A is simply a small school invitational in which all small schools are invited to participate. Just like the LIT or any Holiday

tourney just on a much larger scale.

YES on this one!! Never have figured out how they get to miss so much school for this either!!

Until NCC first boys basketball team won the all a the other sports were not rewarded if they won say the State indoor track meet because it wasn't sactioned. They only started recognizing non sactioned events after the boys won their first all a., for years the answer always given by the NCC administration was if it wasn't sanctioned no recognition.

Interesting.

YES on this one!! Never have figured out how they get to miss so much school for this either!!

It's up to each individual school district if they want to call off classes or not...they still have to go X number of days so if they miss for All A or Sweet 16 they still have to account for those days in their school calendar.

I would just like to make sure we Thank the All "A" committee and volunteers for putting together a great tournament every year. My kids have had the chance to play in basketball, baseball, volleyball and soccer in All "A" but have never won a "state championship". They had a great time and were very competitive and had chances to win it all some years. They do a wonderful job and there a people out here that don't want to see it go away. After seeing how it works I am all for classifications in all sports but until they do please leave the All "A" alone.

By the way if they only had 1 class in football RCC Highlands might have 8-10 championships instead of the overblown numbers they have since they don't have to compete with schools that are much larger than them. They were the best team in the state overall in some of those years but in some of those year they won state they were not even close. Extra opportunities are great and I bet the kids that won those state championships including me with 2 are happy they got the chance.

RCC good luck in softball this year.

I would just like to make sure we Thank the All "A" committee and volunteers for putting together a great tournament every year. My kids have had the chance to play in basketball, baseball, volleyball and soccer in All "A" but have never won a "state championship". They had a great time and were very competitive and had chances to win it all some years. They do a wonderful job and there a people out here that don't want to see it go away. After seeing how it works I am all for classifications in all sports but until they do please leave the All "A" alone.

By the way if they only had 1 class in football RCC Highlands might have 8-10 championships instead of the overblown numbers they have since they don't have to compete with schools that are much larger than them. They were the best team in the state overall in some of those years but in some of those year they won state they were not even close. Extra opportunities are great and I bet the kids that won those state championships including me with 2 are happy they got the chance.

enough said.

Had to bring it back didn't ya. The football analagy is not a good one. If there were no classes in football, everyone's state totals would go down, therefore the 4-6 HHS would still have would be that much more respected because it was crowned the STATE champion. This is where you guys don't get it. It's not about handing out state championships. If the rules said all along that there are no classes in football, I would be just as happy with Highlands football as I am now. If I know that I went out and competed against the best and did my best every year and still came up short on championships, I'd still consider that a successful season. Today, everyone relates success with winning a chmpionship and I think that's garbage because that's not what life is about. Life doesn't go out and create oppportunities for everyone to be successful. Each person must define what success looks like and try to reach that goal. Noone is going to "give" you success. If Highlands football had 3 state championships, but played at the highest level every year, I would still cherish and remember the times they came up short in good years. Just because they may have lost a couple of those to T, X or Male, doesn't mean those seasons weren't extremely successful. Heck, some of the seasons I remember most were seasons where Cov Cath beat us to go to state, because the game was so intense. We aren't wearing rings on our fingers for that season, but just about anyone in the state from that era can tell you about that game!

Quit making up opportunities for kids to experience success. They need to earn success. Success isn't always winning championships. I told you that probably 75% of the state high school bball teams have never sniffed a state championship. Were all those 1000's of kids over 100 yeasrs unseccessful??? Just because they work hard and play all the time, doesn't mean they deserve extra opportunities.

Kind of funny. Was going to drop this, but since you brought it up......Passed by NCC's baseball field the other day. On the outside of their fence, hanging on the street side for everyone to see was a sign that read "All A State Champs".

So if we say it's just another tournament, shouldn't that sign read "All A invitational champs"?. Or were there two state champions in that year in baseball? I'm confused. Is it a state championship or not? And if it is, then we need to all go to classes. If it's not, then quit treating it like it is! You can't have your cake (like that one?) and eat it too. Play with the big dogs or get off the porch! With the All A emphasis, it appears they try to get off the porch!

RC it seems as if your the only one upset with what they call it or don't call it or how teams treat it or don't treat it. Since it has no effect on your school and takes nothing away from your school or your team I can't understand your position being so strong. We get it you don't like the All "A" because some schools (you feel) treat it as the pinnacle of their season...again that has zero impact on your team.

It's called the All "A" Classic...not the Class A State Championship. But teams can celebrate it however they feel...IMO.

This suybject kills me. The people that defend the All A as a opportunity for small schools are the same people that go out and create a select soccer or AAU teams and then look for the "right" tournaments to play in. What do I mean about the "right' tournaments? You play local, call ahead and find out what teams are in the tournament prior to playin to see if you have a chance to win or even compete. You follow other teams that you know are good and stay away from them, while following what teams at your level are doing so you can get in those tournaments...to create opportunities for your kids to have success. If you know a team that's good, you'll avoid that one and move on to another until you find a tournament you can compete or even dominate. You don't want to put your kids in over their heads. You definitely want to make sure they have a chance to be successful. That's crap! Sign up and play! Take your whippings and then one day you'll be able to give the whippings. That's how life works. Don't present a false sense of security for the kids and players. They won't ever understand what's it really about. They will think they are good and then one day get hit in the face with reality. You think you're doing a good thing when in reality, you're just pushing disappointment and frustration off. There is ALWAYS someone out there that is better than you! ALWAYS! If you really want to be successful, you must learn to deal with challenges, disappointment and frustrations early. The ones that learn that at an early age are the ones that take on life head on from the beginning.