Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Phil Robertson Suspended From A&E

Featured Replies

I'm not getting on Facebook again until the year 2021.

 

Is that when you reach the minimum age of 14??

  • Replies 524
  • Views 41.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is that when you reach the minimum age of 14??

 

:lol2:

 

I just can't take it when any topic, whether I am in favor of it or opposed to it, gains so much steam that everyone is talking about it for days on end.

Well if you did watch an episode, not sure which one you watched but you couldn't be further from what the show is about in your summary of what you saw. The reason it is so popular is just the oppostie of what you posted. When I first watched the show, in it's first year, I turned it on thinking "Oh no, they are going to make southerners look like idiots and all the stereotypes they will portray here" which was the absolute opposite of what the show was about. Instead it showed very intelligent family that just so happens to live int he south and love to hunt. The religious aspect was right in front of you and actually is what I questioned if it would be succesful or not because they threw their religious beliefs right in front for all to see.

 

Each episode ends with them in prayer at the dinner table, several episodes revolve around their church, and the oldest son on the show is a minister. For A&E to punish Phil for what everyone already knew he believed in from the start is just stupid on A&E's part.

 

I will take your word for the emphasis of the show.

 

I still disagree with your belief that because they show them praying around the table and going to church it's hypocritical to limit their religious speech. Many people (including me) who are for gay rights and gay marriage pray around the table and go to church. That doesn't mean the audience is fine with one it's representatives espousing on every religious issue of the day. Now if if this was PAT Robertson THEN I'd agree with your view on hypocrisy.

The way in which he said he said it was probably extremely embarrassing for A&E. The guy drew a straight line from gay people to bestiality. He can believe that all he wants... I guess... but A&E doesn't have to give him a platform for it.

 

A&E didn't give him the platform...they edit better than that. GQ gave him the platform...and the rope.

Correct. And when the govt comes to arrest Phil for his religious beliefs, holler at me.

 

Correct. Some folks seem to be confusing government with the television entertainment industry.

Mr. Robertson & I have the same view regarding the sinfulness of homosexuality, but I can't imagine myself ever wording my viewpoints in the way that he did. Some of what he said was just...well, it was bizarre.

 

I also believe Hellbird is on the money when he references A&E's hypocrisy here.

I'd be shocked if Phil Robertson cared at all about their decision. Willie on the other hand, the businessman of the family, is probably not thrilled about it all.

The way in which he said he said it was probably extremely embarrassing for A&E. The guy drew a straight line from gay people to bestiality. He can believe that all he wants... I guess... but A&E doesn't have to give him a platform for it.

A&E didn't give him a platform for it. It wasn't an interview on A&E and he has never once stated what he said in his interview for GQ on the show. To say A&E gave him a platform is false.

 

Another misunderstanding is that he didn't say homosexuality is like bestiality, what he was listing are things he believes to be sins. Too many people are taking the leap that he thinks homosexuals have sex with animals too. It's like saying if you run a stop sign then you also have sex with animals because both are against the law. He didn't say any such thing.

This I believe is very telling and shows me that A&E was well aware of the family religous beliefs before the very first show aired. To act like this 5 years later is a joke if you ask me:

 

During the family’s initial negotiations about the show with A&E, Jase told me, “the three no-compromises were faith, betrayal of family members, and duck season.” That refusal to betray their faith or one another has been a staple of every media article about the Robertson family. It’s their elevator pitch, and it has made them into ideal Christian icons: beloved for staking out a bit of holy ground within the mostly secular, often downright sinful, pop culture of America.

 

 

If anyone hasn't read that actual article, here it is

http://www.gq.com/entertainment/television/201401/duck-dynasty-phil-robertson

Something struck me about this article, and that is the author and his language from the start, yet it is Phil who is being crucified. Just found that odd.

 

Edited by Hellbird

This is just stupid what A/E did, why cant someone be allowed to say what they think. Maybe they need to eat some squirrel brains.

Let's just be clear, here is the actual article:

 

GQ Interview

 

Some quotes:

 

“It seems like, to me, a ******—as a man—would be more desirable than a man’s anus. That’s just me. I’m just thinking: There’s more there! She’s got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I’m saying? But hey, sin: It’s not logical, my man. It’s just not logical.”

 

I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field.... They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.

 

Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men,” he says. Then he paraphrases Corinthians: “Don’t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers—they won’t inherit the kingdom of God. Don’t deceive yourself. It’s not right.

 

For the sake of the Gospel, it was worth it,” Phil tells me. “All you have to do is look at any society where there is no Jesus. I’ll give you four: Nazis, no Jesus. Look at their record. Uh, Shintos? They started this thing in Pearl Harbor. Any Jesus among them? None. Communists? None. Islamists? Zero. That’s eighty years of ideologies that have popped up where no Jesus was allowed among those four groups. Just look at the records as far as murder goes among those four groups.

My Cool Roo-Dolph @MRudolphComedy

Well, I guess now we should have a conservative journalist ask the Kardashians what they think about Jesus?

My Cool Roo-Dolph @MRudolphComedy

Well, I guess now we should have a conservative journalist ask the Kardashians what they think about Jesus?

hahaha....now that is good!

A&E didn't give him a platform for it. It wasn't an interview on A&E and he has never once stated what he said in his interview for GQ on the show. To say A&E gave him a platform is false.

 

Another misunderstanding is that he didn't say homosexuality is like bestiality, what he was listing are things he believes to be sins. Too many people are taking the leap that he thinks homosexuals have sex with animals too. It's like saying if you run a stop sign then you also have sex with animals because both are against the law. He didn't say any such thing.

 

And that's fine. It's a cute little wrapped-up list. The way it looks, he's making all these things equal. And that's fine if he wants to do that, but he gets to pay the consequences of what that looks like to most other people, including the big-shots at A&E, apparently.

 

And yes, A&E gave him the platform. The only reason GQ was there to do an interview was because he's a cast member on this extremely popular show. When he speaks in such an interview, he doesn't speak as Phil Robertson, private citizen, he's speaking in the context of Phil Robertson, A&E TV star.

 

People can still believe what they want. That's not the issue. But there are an awful lot of people who seem to think that the idea of "free speech" should actually be "free from consequences speech" which doesn't exist.

Correct. Some folks seem to be confusing government with the television entertainment industry.

 

"Whoever controls the media, controls the mind."

 

I have always bought in to the quote, but what Jim Morrison did not know at the time was how wide spread "media" would become. You control the media, you can control society and dictate government, imo.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.