December 19, 201312 yr I don't know anything so you are right. My point was Phil was making a point on a very small sample size he grew up with and worked with. Which I found to be naive on his part but I've never found Phil to be a liar so maybe that is what he really thought at the time. I definitely believe he thought there was nothing wrong with his words as he was speaking his truth. I think we all have our own truths and beliefs that we keep to ourselves because we don't want to offend anyone. This was one of those times for Phil.
December 19, 201312 yr I just don't get the notion that "everyone knew how he felt" before he said these things because he is a devout Christian on the show. He had some deranged opinions. Why should I have known those because of his reverence for his faith? Here's a guy strongly associated with his religious beliefs who gets a big platform to talk about whatever he wants and he says these totally predictable, stereotypical Southern things. I would have cringed if I was a fan of his upon reading this. I think the show has been heralded for rehabilitating that stereotypical image of the South by showing a good-natured, fun, loving family that isn't ignorant just because they have accents and hunt. Then he says all this that everyone would expect a guy with an accent who hunts to say. All that leads me to believe the show, like its reality ilk, is scripted illusion. A&E has made a lot of money marketing these guys as "a good-natured, fun, loving family that isn't ignorant just because they have accents and hunt" and now the curtain is pulled back a little bit. I have to think they fear their reality empire is in jeopardy. If you are a protestant or evangical christian in the south who likes to hunt, I'm no gambling man but I would say the odds were pretty good on how he felt about homosexuality. I take offense honestly to comments like yours because I have family members who may be against homosexuality. I find it to be ignorant to call people who may disagree with you on the topic ignorant. It's become to PC to call anyone who may not agree with it ignorant or uneducated. This is why I normally don't like to discuss this topic because it's a non issue with me. But I get so steamed when people on one side of aisle try and take the intellectual high ground.
December 19, 201312 yr I didn't take it that way at all. I took it as there wasn't a racial divide where he was in the south at that time, for him at least. Guess I'm way off on that one. I don't think you're way off, at least not on the beginning of the quote. I have no reason to doubt him when he gives the account of saying how black and white people got along in his corner of Louisiana.
December 19, 201312 yr I'm not shocked he was suspended because that is the world we live in today where you can't say anything controversial. I wish the entire family would back Phil and boycott until his return. The family made millions before the show and should stick by their belief and family member. The most amazing thing as I have read these four pages is that I agree with Hellbird and I'm having a hard time coming to grips with that. :lol2: You've always known I was wiser than you Now you finally admit it publicly after all these years of knowing me
December 19, 201312 yr I don't know when he played were southern schools integrated at that time? If I had to guess I would bet the only black people he met until adulthood were the ones he worked with. As a side note, I believe he was the back up QB in college to Terry Bradshaw. Seems like I read that somewhere. As far as fkyw's post, I think everyone is making too many assumptions. We don't know what time period Phil was talking about in regards to the comments about blacks. I'm guessing he wasn't working cotton fields in college. I would guess he was talking about a time period when he was young, middle school or high school. But I'm just guessing as well.
December 19, 201312 yr As a side note, I believe he was the back up QB in college to Terry Bradshaw. Seems like I read that somewhere. As far as fkyw's post, I think everyone is making too many assumptions. We don't know what time period Phil was talking about in regards to the comments about blacks. I'm guessing he wasn't working cotton fields in college. I would guess he was talking about a time period when he was young, middle school or high school. But I'm just guessing as well. Bradshaw was his backup.
December 19, 201312 yr A&E has made a lot of money marketing these guys as "a good-natured, fun, loving family that isn't ignorant just because they have accents and hunt" and now the curtain is pulled back a little bit. I have to think they fear their reality empire is in jeopardy. They've also marketed them as a conservative, faith-filled family--not just fun-loving southerners who like to hunt. Maybe Habib & Formerkytimberlake wouldn't know Robertson's stance on an issue like this, but the A&E people knew it. They've been selling it for the last four years (or however long the show's been on).
December 19, 201312 yr I wasn't even aware that there was such a show, but that's probably because I don't hunt. People go crazy about Duck Dynasty & more power to them. I've tried watching it before & it's just not for me. The old uncle was pretty entertaining, but that was about it. They had a show called Duck Commander on the Outdoor channel for years before making it to A&E. Willie still has a show on their called Buck Commander. It also has Tombo Martin and Adam LaRoche on it. Chipper Jones was on there for the 1st one or 2 seasons regularly but is only on every now and then now. Jason Alden and Luke Bryan also make regular appearances. I've never cared much for Duck Commander or Duck Dynasty but like Buck Commander. Mainly because I just not into duck hunting and love to deer hunt.
December 19, 201312 yr Phil was picking cotton with this dude. [ATTACH=CONFIG]42115[/ATTACH] :lol2::lol2:
December 19, 201312 yr He was the starting QB, ahead of Terry Bradshaw. Pretty interesting, I had no clue, take the time to read it, very interesting and defineing of him. As an athlete in high school, Robertson was all-state in football, baseball, and track, which afforded him the opportunity to attend Louisiana Tech University in Ruston on a football scholarship in the late 1960s.[3] There he played first-string quarterback for the Bulldogs, ahead of Pro Football Hall of Famer Terry Bradshaw,[4][5] the first overall pick in the 1970 NFL Draft. When he arrived at Tech in 1966, Bradshaw caused a media frenzy on account of his reputation of being a football sensation from nearby Shreveport.[6][7] Robertson was a year ahead of Bradshaw, and was the starter for two seasons in 1966 and 1967, and chose not to play in 1968.[8] It was thought he had the potential for a pro career, but his mind was elsewhere.[3] In an interview with ESPN, Robertson stated that: "One time a bunch of geese came over and I was over there with the coach and talking about techniques or whatever, a big skull session on the practice field. I heard these geese. Remember we were practicing in the fall of the year — and the grand passage as we call it — the ducks and geese were coming from Canada. I heard these blues and snow geese coming over and I sort of fell into a trance. Of course I had my headgear next to my chest and I'm looking toward the sky and finally one of them coaches looked around, and he started cursing at me, "What are you doing son? Get over here! What are you looking up at?" I said, "A bunch of them geese, Coach. Boy they pretty, ain't they?" He said, "Get your butt over here."[3] And this was most certainly not a secret; even Bradshaw claimed that: "The quarterback playing ahead of me, Phil Robertson, loved hunting more than he loved football. He'd come to practice directly from the woods, squirrel tails hanging out of his pockets, duck feathers on his clothes. Clearly he was a fine shot, so no one complained too much."[9] When Paul Harvey confronted Robertson with a recruitment to play professionally for the Washington Redskins, he declined because football conflicted with his hunting. Besides, football was only about holding up his scholarship to him, while Bradshaw practically lived and breathed the sport.[7] Robertson put it in this way: "Terry went for the bucks, and I chased after the ducks."[3
December 19, 201312 yr They've also marketed them as a conservative, faith-filled family--not just fun-loving southerners who like to hunt. Maybe Habib & Formerkytimberlake wouldn't know Robertson's stance on an issue like this, but the A&E people knew it. They've been selling it for the last four years (or however long the show's been on). Very true. Which is why it is puzzling to me that they would suspend Phil for being Phil. I know A&E is bigger than one show but that one show made them a lot of money. They won't make as much without it even though the channel will survive. I get why they suspended him but it still seems stupid to do so.
December 19, 201312 yr They had a show called Duck Commander on the Outdoor channel for years before making it to A&E. Willie still has a show on their called Buck Commander. It also has Tombo Martin and Adam LaRoche on it. Chipper Jones was on there for the 1st one or 2 seasons regularly but is only on every now and then now. Jason Alden and Luke Bryan also make regular appearances. I've never cared much for Duck Commander or Duck Dynasty but like Buck Commander. Mainly because I just not into duck hunting and love to deer hunt. Did they goof off on that show?
December 19, 201312 yr And that's fine. It's a cute little wrapped-up list. The way it looks, he's making all these things equal. And that's fine if he wants to do that, but he gets to pay the consequences of what that looks like to most other people, including the big-shots at A&E, apparently. And yes, A&E gave him the platform. The only reason GQ was there to do an interview was because he's a cast member on this extremely popular show. When he speaks in such an interview, he doesn't speak as Phil Robertson, private citizen, he's speaking in the context of Phil Robertson, A&E TV star. People can still believe what they want. That's not the issue. But there are an awful lot of people who seem to think that the idea of "free speech" should actually be "free from consequences speech" which doesn't exist. But that isn't entirely true. A&E isn't his boss, A&E isn't the network that started their popularity. They started with a hunting show which still airs on outdoor channel and that is where A&E found them. It was an outdoor show where they first became well known and A&E only made their popularity explode due to their show on A&E. So who do they speak for? A&E or Outdoor channel? or any other channel they have shows on?
December 19, 201312 yr So let me make sure I understand this whole thing....A stupid guy from a stupid show made some stupid comments, and got suspended? Why are we supposed to care?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.