December 19, 201312 yr Very true. Which is why it is puzzling to me that they would suspend Phil for being Phil. I know A&E is bigger than one show but that one show made them a lot of money. They won't make as much without it even though the channel will survive. I'd like to see what would've happened if he would have said, "I believe homosexuality is a sin" and that's it. In other words, how much of this stems from his belief & how much of it from how he stated his belief. They had something like 11 million viewers for a recent show--a season finale maybe. I also read that they had a Christmas special that drew close to 9 million viewers. Those are ridiculous numbers for a cable show & second only to The Walking Dead in terms of cable television popularity.
December 19, 201312 yr I know A&E is bigger than one show but that one show made them a lot of money. They won't make as much without it even though the channel will survive. A&E is a joint venture between the Hearst Group and ABC-Disney, two corporations that will undoubtedly find a way to continue making money. I think ultimately his suspension will end quickly and the show will return much as it was. This will ultimately turn out to be a Rick-Pitino-style "indefinite suspension".
December 19, 201312 yr But that isn't entirely true. A&E isn't his boss In what universe does A&E not get to decide who and what goes on air on its own station? He said something the big-shots at A&E didn't like and those big-shots made the call to pluck him off the air for a while. Absolutely A&E runs the show here.
December 19, 201312 yr I'd like to see what would've happened if he would have said, "I believe homosexuality is a sin" and that's it. In other words, how much of this stems from his belief & how much of it from how he stated his belief. They had something like 11 million viewers for a recent show--a season finale maybe. I also read that they had a Christmas special that drew close to 9 million viewers. Those are ridiculous numbers for a cable show & second only to The Walking Dead in terms of cable television popularity. Good point RP. I to wonder if it was his stance or the language in how he expressed his stance that got him suspended. That is why I really want to see a video of the interview. I want to see the tone of the conversation.
December 19, 201312 yr They've also marketed them as a conservative, faith-filled family--not just fun-loving southerners who like to hunt. Maybe Habib & Formerkytimberlake wouldn't know Robertson's stance on an issue like this, but the A&E people knew it. They've been selling it for the last four years (or however long the show's been on).I would have assumed Phil would have felt homosexuality is a sin. The rest, not so much...
December 19, 201312 yr They had a show called Duck Commander on the Outdoor channel for years before making it to A&E. Willie still has a show on their called Buck Commander. It also has Tombo Martin and Adam LaRoche on it. Chipper Jones was on there for the 1st one or 2 seasons regularly but is only on every now and then now. Jason Alden and Luke Bryan also make regular appearances. I've never cared much for Duck Commander or Duck Dynasty but like Buck Commander. Mainly because I just not into duck hunting and love to deer hunt. Exactly and what I was trying to point out. They did not hit it big because of A&E and Duck Dynasty, they already had several shows and A&E picked up on that and created a new show for them "Duck Dynasty" So now I wonder if Phil will be suspended from the other shows? I doubt it.
December 19, 201312 yr And it's okay to compare homosexuals with people who have sex with animals? ...That's the part where it crossed the line IMO opinion, too. Other than that, I don't have a problem with it. #freePhil (Granted, I only read a small part of the article that my wife emailed me)
December 19, 201312 yr I would have assumed Phil would have felt homosexuality is a sin. The rest, not so much... I cringed bringing up beastiality. But I think he poorly worded his answer. After reading the article twice like I've said a few time I think a video would provide good context. I honestly believe reading it there were a few points where Phil was trying to bring humor to his answer. Maybe in poor taste but that is how a few read off to me.
December 19, 201312 yr Good point RP. I to wonder if it was his stance or the language in how he expressed his stance that got him suspended. That is why I really want to see a video of the interview. I want to see the tone of the conversation. Curious you say that because the language itself coming from the writer is what I found most shocking. Not what Phil said. As I've said somewhere else. Whether or not I agree with what Phil said or not, I know going into watching the show what Phil believes in and have heard similar things from him in other interviews in the past. I don't watch the show because of what he believes, I watch for other reasons. I don't condemn a man for standing by his religious convictions. I find it worse that a network will condemn a man for his religious beliefs more than what was said in an interview.
December 19, 201312 yr I would have assumed Phil would have felt homosexuality is a sin. The rest, not so much... But I would guess you'd be pretty confident in your assumption? As to the rest...as I said, some of it was bizarre.
December 19, 201312 yr So let me make sure I understand this whole thing....A stupid guy from a stupid show made some stupid comments, and got suspended? Why are we supposed to care? He may be "stupid" according to you but he is awfully rich so he can't be too stupid.
December 19, 201312 yr Since Intervention went off the air I honestly can't name another show on A&E off-hand. Bates Motel.
December 19, 201312 yr And it's okay to compare homosexuals with people who have sex with animals? He was talking about what he believes according to the bible are sins. That's it, too many people on here are reading way too much into it. I guess according to those same people they will say he's comparing killing a person to having sex with animals also because he said both were sins. Context people, context.
December 19, 201312 yr Phil was picking cotton with this dude. [ATTACH=CONFIG]42115[/ATTACH] Nice. :lol2:
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.